Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Tropical storm headed up East Coast

I just found out there is a tropical storm that is supposed to head up the east coast. We are leaving Thursday for Assateaque State Park. The tropical storm is expected to be a Cat 1 hurricane by the time it reaches that area. With 81 MPH winds I don't know that it is a good idea to be there during that time. Anyone with experience riding out a storm like this in their camper?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Years ago, when I was younger we had a Hurricane coming into the VA Beach area. We didn't take any chances and moved inland further. We adapted and reserved a spot at another campground and continued the vacation.

The best thing to do, is probably move and before the mandatory evacuations occur if that happens or there will be traffic like you wouldn't believe.

Good luck, it isn't that fun to cut the time short or change plans but, might be the safest.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

We're going to keep an eye on the news before we leave. I may opt to wait to leave until Sat.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

If I go by the weather reports here in NC it is expected to be here late Thursday into Friday. I would guess that would put it where your going somewhere on Friday into Saturday. Personally I would not want to be on a barrier island during a hurricane or tropical storm for that matter. I like the idea even less in an RV. Flagstaffer06 is spot on about leaving before evacuation orders.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

WE were to leave S Florida on thursday for Hilton Head, but had to cancel because of the storm. Quess it will be a S Florida rv park somewhere away from the big storm. we were really looking forward for a week of fun in SC. Next time!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

As of right now they are saying it should stay farther at to sea for the Maryland coast. It should produce rain storm but I don't think the wind will be too bad (fingers crossed). We have weather radios and will be monitoring constantly. If it sounds like it is shifting towards the coast we will head in and stay at camp Walmart. Of course this is all dependant on the track forecast in the next couple of days since these storms are so unpredictable. Playing it by ear for now.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgahlhoff View Post
WE were to leave S Florida on thursday for Hilton Head, but had to cancel because of the storm. Quess it will be a S Florida rv park somewhere away from the big storm. we were really looking forward for a week of fun in SC. Next time!
In my honest opinion, I'd still go to Hilton Head. We are rather safe here in the "bend" of SC/GA. Most storms, and I suspect this one as well will start to move NE about time it gets around Brunswick, GA. I don't think it is expected to be a Cat I until it's much further up the coast around NC. Piece of cake for us South Carolinians.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #8

Yes, according to the PA news channel I watch, it looks like it should turn to cat 1 around NC & stay that way until it gets up around the NJ area and then die down to a tropical storm again.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
DDC

Don't put the awning out.:rollback:

We were in one in the eighties in a pop-up, managed to outrun it till we had to stop at a campground in Valdosta Ga, putting up a popup is not easy in those winds even at the backside of a building.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #10

No awning out in heavy winds for sure. The dealer told me the automatic awnings can't take much wind.
We had friends who rode out a storm at Assateaque a couple of years ago in their pop up. I don't know how strong the winds were (maybe 40 mph) and they had to stand inside and push against the sides so it would not bend the uprights. When we were down last year in our pop up we managed to dodge a lot of storms. Watching the radar it looked as though the storms were headed right for us and then all of a sudden they would turn inland and go on the other side of the bay.
I'm glad we upgraded to a TT or we would definitely wait until Sat.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

Always better to be home wishing you were camping than camping wishing you had stayed home.

Assateague is pretty exposed so I'd say a delayed departure is a good plan.
Now when you finally get there remember, don't feed the ponies. They are total mooches.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #12

Our friends just got back from Assateaque last week and I believe the dunes are currently gone also. I was told that they are moving them back 150 feet and I guess they are moving the campground back also?

The horses can be a pain. I saw the horses going after peoples food while they were eating outside. There's not much they could do about it. A camp host last year showed us a good way to get them to move away if they get to close. She took the end of a tikki torch (the end that goes in the ground) and scrapped it against the black top. The horses did not seem to care for that noise to much and walked off. Of course, some guy from Tennessee thought he could go over and pet the horses. He got close but, I believe the camp host made him stop. I stay away. I don't need to get kicked or bitten by one of them. Animals are too strong to mess with.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #13

So today it looks like the storm track is pushed a little further to the east so the edge of the storms is no longer hitting Assateaque. I'm hoping it stays that way and it can pusher farther to the east.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

Even if it pushes far enough off shore to allow you to go don't forget it can still have a major effect on the ocean like riptides and rough surf. Folks playing in the surf when these storms are near need to be extra careful.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #15

Kids will stay out of the water during that time. THe lifeguards down there a few and far between. They ride by, quickly, on their 4 wheelers. We will use that time to go sight seeing.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #16

Storm surge flooding can still present a lot of risk, but at least the winds are a lower factor.
Good luck!