Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #11

As someone who has worked in the body repair business and been around auto repair in general for almost 40 years there are a few things you should make sure are thoroughly checked and MEASURED!! (Pictures would help)

1- You mentioned the the impact was to the hitch and ball. Since the hitch is bolted/welded directly to the frame, the frame took a tremendous hit.

2- You mentioned that the bumper was uneven and shifted to one side along with the bedliner. This may mean that the frame was also shifted to one side and may also be "diamonded". Meaning that the frame rail on the side that took the most impact may have shifted forward along the entire length of the truck. One way to visually check this is to look at the alignment of the FRONT bumper. Check for gaps and sags of the front bumper and facias that are larger or smaller on one side compared to the other. If this is the case and not properly repaired then the rear end and front suspension will never be in proper alighnment. The "frame" portion of the estimate should be "left open" by the body repair shop until they can properly measure and check for frame damage and work with your insurance company to cover the cost of repairing the previously hidden damege or end up "totaling the truck depending on the extent of frame damage.

Hope I didn't add to your worries and wish you well in your recovery.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
DDC

Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and hanging on to them, paying out is only an option if there is no other way out and they tend to find lots of ways out and are well supported by politicians.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
As someone who has worked in the body repair business and been around auto repair in general for almost 40 years there are a few things you should make sure are thoroughly checked and MEASURED!! (Pictures would help)

1- You mentioned the the impact was to the hitch and ball. Since the hitch is bolted/welded directly to the frame, the frame took a tremendous hit.

2- You mentioned that the bumper was uneven and shifted to one side along with the bedliner. This may mean that the frame was also shifted to one side and may also be "diamonded". Meaning that the frame rail on the side that took the most impact may have shifted forward along the entire length of the truck. One way to visually check this is to look at the alignment of the FRONT bumper. Check for gaps and sags of the front bumper and facias that are larger or smaller on one side compared to the other. If this is the case and not properly repaired then the rear end and front suspension will never be in proper alighnment. The "frame" portion of the estimate should be "left open" by the body repair shop until they can properly measure and check for frame damage and work with your insurance company to cover the cost of repairing the previously hidden damege or end up "totaling the truck depending on the extent of frame damage.

Hope I didn't add to your worries and wish you well in your recovery.
Your post is right on with what is being done at the auto body shop. The only thing I wasn't aware of was the part relating to the front bumper. I will be sure to get that check out as well. Thanks for explaining it so I understand.

One of my concerns was that it wouldn't be inspected properly and I made sure that Allstate knew what I was insisting on and why. The shop I selected included this inspection from the start and explained why it was necessary. I was happy to find out this shop was on the list and shouldn't have any problems with Allstate.

The Progressive guy said he isn't aware of any data relating to an impact on the hitch being stronger. I came across an alert by the National Safety Commission that has determined even a low impact (10 mph or less) the impact on the hitch is 2.5 x the force.

I got a copy of the letter Progressive sent the other driver (Progressive customer) stating that she was 100% at fault. The only reason I was able to get it is that Progressive's right hand does not know what Progressive's left hand is doing.

Single women can often be seen as a easy push over because there's no angry husband involved but that's another topic.

I will post an update when I find out more.

Thanks to everyone for the words of support!
Terie

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
Villa Estate 392FLFB

wow makes my accident sound like a fender scratch! as much as you dont want to hear it.. you probably should get rid of that truck.. it wont be the same.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #15

I'm glad you weren't hurt worse but whiplash can be very serious and have long lasting effects. Don't sign off on the medical just yet.

Did you get pictures of both vehicles? Seems to me that if the hit was hard enough to cause you to black out even for a few seconds, it would have had to do quite a bit of damage.

What nitwit doesn't have enough sense to see that an impact to a small area like a hitch could be much worse than the same force spread out over a large area like a BUMPER?? DUH.

Would it be advisable once the truck is "fixed" to hook up the RV and tow it some before signing off on the repairs. Maybe haul it to the repair shop and have them inspect it?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Team

Good news:
The truck have been inspected in detailed to specs and the frame was not damaged. The bumper has been reinstalled and it's straight and even again. The hitch got a clean bill of health too and will be getting some touch up paint on the scrape marks. I need to follow up on the Tonneau Cover and make sure it closes correctly. After the accident it needed some adjusting to close completely and need to make it still ok now.

In the next week or two I will be taking the trailer in to the service department for maintenance work so it will make a good practice run towing. I have a great relationship with my dealership and they will make sure all is well before giving a thumps up.

My truck is back to *new * status again.
On another note - it was so ever strange to be driving a small rental car. I felt like I was on sitting on a skateboard looking at everything from ground level.

n
b
b
b
b

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident