Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #21

The only real fix for the truck with tuning is having a tuner do a custom EFI Live tune for your truck. They can do a Steet or dyno tune. This is far superior then a plus in box tuner for a gasser.

The 6.0 has terrible tuning from the factory with a bad delay on the enrichment. I did a drop in filter, AFE intake tube, removed the MAF screen, Magnaflow I place of the stock muffler, and have a custom Steet tune with a wide no band A/F meter. I also had him tune the tranny line pressures.

Truck is much nicer now. More power across the board and the shifts are firmer and quicker so there is less slipping of the clutches. In reality, we may have picked up 20-25bhp and about the same in torque but we have also picked up about 2.2mpg across the board.

You can do cam, heads, ect but if you start going internal, then you may just want to sell the truck and pick up a diesel. Would be better in the long run.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #22

I have two trucks with the 6.0 chevy. They are not the most powerful motors out there but they tend to be simple, reliable, and near bulletproof. Much better than the old 350's , 454's and 6.5 diesels.

With that said I have learned to live with the way the trucks run and I shy away from tuners for fear they will hurt the motor or computer in the long run. Like others have said the bolt on stuff probably will not give you much for your money. A gear swap especially if you have the 4l80e will be the best money spent. I would like to go to a 4.30 gear in my dually but like I said I have learn to accept the way the trucks run.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #23
Site Team

The only thing I have added to my 09' 6.0 6 speed is a K&N air filter. For me, towing a 8500 lb camper this truck does fine with plenty of power.
I have thought about tuners but after reading few horror stories on truck forums and some negative product reviews, I have stayed away from them.
This is the best tow setup I have ever had.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #24

All tuners are not created equal. I have been running my DP Tuner for a few years now on my 99 Ford F250 and I will say it's been the best improvement to my truck for towing... With the DP you can change between tunes on the fly. I have a 60 HP Tow tune, 30 HP Tow tune, 60 HP Economy tune and a Decel Tune that acts like a Jake Brake.... Besides the HP the tuner changes shift patterns mush better for towing.

You have to drive smart with a tuner. I added a set of gauges EGT, Trans Temp and Boost.... You got to watch the EGT with a Tuner... I also added a 6.0 Transmission Cooler. The Trans Cooler out of the 6.0 Ford is a direct bolt in for the early Fords and about 3 times the cooling.

All that said Tuners work real good for diesels but not so much for gas.....
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #25

Before I traded I had the same truck as the OP (2002 Chev. 1500HD, 6.0 L, 4X4, 3.73, Crew Cab). The limiting factor here I feel is the 4 speed tranny. Engine (even stock) has plenty of power. I bought the Bully Dog tuner ($325, stock, towing, performance settings) and tuned it to "towing" (I never did get to dyno the differences). I also did NOT use the OD function on the tranny, I left it in "3rd" and let the torque converter lock up in 3rd. That way it didn't keep searching for a gear at the slightest grade. I was pulling a Lacrosse 303 RKS at the time sometimes with a golf cart in the bed so, probable total GCW was around 14 - 15K. Mileage was around 7-8 mpg on long trips but the truck did OK.

The newer gassers with the 6 speed trannys and everything else being the same make a big difference (I test drove a 2010 6.0, 6 speed when I was looking to trade).
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #26

I also should ad the DP Tuner has a stock setting so at the push of a button you can select between the tunes or go back to stock if that what you want.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #27
chicagoslick

Take some time and review
Www.denalitrucks.com

My Yukon Denali, with 6.0l, works very well with plenty of power with gas mileage around 11mpg, as long as I stay around 60mph. Best of luck and hope this helps....

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, truck