Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'm not a mechanic, but two possibilities come to mind since you say that unplugging the controller makes the problem go away and plugging in a new controller does not change the situation.

1) Try spraying the interface (plugs) between the controller and the truck's computer with electronic parts cleaner. You can probably find it at Radio Shack.

2) If that does not work, ask the Ford dealer if he can flash the truck's computer. It occurs to me that the problem might be there.

BTW Does the problem persist when you connect the trailer to the truck?

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
You mentioned that the dealer installed it for you "Ford OEM harness spliced to Prodigy provided harness". Have you double-checked their work against the instructions that came with the controller? You mentioned re-soldering the connections but............. Are the wires in the right order? Or maybe, just maybe, the OEM wiring harness is messed up. Also there are "preconfigured" wiring harnesses for the Ford Prodigy combo for just a few buck.

good luck and let us know how it turns out

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Already checked connections, everything looks good.

Spoke to service mgr at my Ford dealer, he had no ideas, and sounded like they wanted the truck for a day to diagnose it (I'm sure that would be a nice invoice in the end...)

The tech at the RV dealer used crimp on butt splice connectors, between the harnesses. I cut these, and soldered the connections to guarantee that this was not the issue. I'm fairly certain that wires are correct, both on the connections the RV dealer made, and on my improved connections.

More details in my thread over on
Quotes from that thread:

Originally Posted by mn_308
This is making me kind of crazy…

Tested with another prodigy controller (new), and the speedo still bounces.

Good solid ground (straight to negative post on the battery).

Everything looks right and it still continues it’s random misbehavior.

If I unplug trailer wires from the harness under the back of the truck, near the spare tire, the problem still occurs. Leads me to believe that the last section of harness, and trailer connection is fine.

If I unplug the harness which leads to the trailer connection from under the hood (comes into a plug on drivers side, near the firewall and fender), the problem seems to go away. Not sure how something could be wrong here as all the wires in this bundle are well wrapped and run along the frame rail. I can’t see any damage after a fair amount of time crawling around underneath…

Originally Posted by mn_308
I agree, something is bad in that one stretch of harness.
I suspect that running a new brake wire (and maybe a new ground also?) will remove the problem.
That's probably going to be quicker and cheaper that a new harness, and provide the same results.

'05 Rockwood ROO 25RS
mn_308 is offline   Reply With Quote