Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #41
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
That is still double towing...and something that was beyond the capabilities of not only that truck, but the trailer as well!

In other words...he shouldn't have been pulling that configuration!

You can continue to argue this to death as I'm sure you will...carry on!
Again, there's no debate. I never said he should of been towing it.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #42

The lady was being honest about being on the phone, that’s rare these days
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #43
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
There's no debate. The article is misleading people to think the operator was double towing but clearly he was not.
THIS. I clearly thought he was double towing based on the article. this is obviously NOT the case.

as someone who has never heard of an Idaho Tote, this is very misleading. 30 seconds on google and a short video explains the process. two attachment points on the Tote instead of one changes how that Tote behaves.

"At the time of the crash, the Dodge was southbound on the interstate when one of the trailers became unstable near mile marker 38, which destabilized the second trailer and caused the driver to lose control of the truck as it was being whipped around by the trailers."

this statement lifted right from the article seems impossible with the attachment method of the Tote unless one of the TWO attachments fails. that tote cant get out of control without the TT itself being out of control.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #44
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The lady was being honest about being on the phone, that’s rare these days
She had to be as they have ways of finding out the truth about that...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #45
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
She had to be as they have ways of finding out the truth about that...
Sorry, I could not resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	194656  
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #46

Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #47
waybeck2018

BINGO dodgemark!! That old phone again. The downfall of society...cellphones
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #48

Yes, she was on the phone, but she was using an earpiece which is still legal. That is why she was not cited. She attempted to change lanes, but could not get into the right lane. There’s already enough speculation, but I seriously doubt the Ram driver thought to put his hazard lights on. He bears the majority of fault in this incident.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post

There’s already enough speculation, but I seriously doubt the Ram driver thought to put his hazard lights on. He bears the majority of fault in this incident.
Sounds like more speculation to me...
Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 AM   #50
RV There Yet?

what the driver says and what happened can be two completely different things. we had a driver near us that ran into the back of a car that was turning left, stopped on a two lane highway (similar situation) people (kids) were killed. driver said that he didn't see the car, and was only looking down to hang up a phone call. he was found to be using his phone for mobile banking at the time.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #51

How in the world do you not charge her in this crash? Unbelievable!!
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #52

I didn’t read through all the responses, but a few observations/questions. Why was the truck in the fast lane of a 3-lane highway? They must have been traveling kind of slowly to make the trailer brakes keep him from limping to the side.

The girl was on a cell phone....even with a hands free device, if anyone thinks they aren’t a distraction, they’re only deceiving themselves.

Amazing how everyone just stops in the middle of a highway instead of pulling off to the side to help.

Lastly....holy cow, did she get deep under that camper!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #53

Virginia Beach traffic

Quote: No one was hurt in an accident that happened Sunday morning on I-264 in Virginia Beach which left a truck and the camper it was pulling resting on top of another car.The accident happened shortly after 10 a.m. in the westbound lanes of I-264 about a quarter mile east of the Independence Blvd. exit. Unquote

That stretch of highway heading away from Virginia Beach towards I-64 and Norfolk, VA can be hairy in good weather in a car.

There isn't much of a left shoulder at times at best, with sometimes no shoulder due to lane configuration and concrete dividers on the right side. I can easily see this happening.

People are from all over the U.S. and the lack of driving skills has just terrified me a number of times, that is both driving my rig with toad and in a car. For a lot of drivers speed limits are at best a suggestion with folks typically running 70mph + in a 55mph zone.

Here is a link so you might see the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be....1385953?hl=en

However you cut it, the car driver was VERY lucky.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #54
I'm Lost

Wow, I just looking at the Utah I-15 rollover photos again, posted by the news site (from John's link, post 26), I see the body of the TT completely separated from it's frame!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #55
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Wow, I just looking at the Utah I-15 rollover photos again, posted by the news site (from John's link, post 26), I see the body of the TT completely separated from it's frame!

Geoff
Yup. That's the pic I posted in #28. That thing must of slammed pretty hard to separate the walls from the floor.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #56

Here is another good TT flip over video...

Trailer Crash Video Caused By Uneven Weight Distribution

Well...not good, but a good example of what not to do with too small of a tow vehicle.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #57

I live near that section of I-264 and used to drive it daily before retirement. 4 lanes wide, and 5 in some places along that area. Left lane in that area has almost no shoulder. M -F that is an HOV only lane at certain hours. Weekends, it is open to all traffic, and becomes the defacto “fast lane”. That section of I-264 can become very fast, ridicuously fast. There is a left hand exit about 5 to 6 miles further West to get onto I-64 East. To make that left exit easier to achieve, many people start moving into the left lane that far back, especially with a trailer.
Since I am in Florida for the winter, I did not see the wreck only pictures.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #58

I agree, these cell phones are a big down fall when driving. Also the driving age of these kids is way to low. Some kids are responsible at 15 years of age but most aren’t. And what they learn on the road at this young age translates to their driving habits all through their lives. Good or bad. Also a couple of the videos that show a TT starting to sway and finally loose control i can’t fathom how a driver cannot know whats happening and take their foot off the gas. This is just common sense. Lets face it some folks should not be allowed to drive let alone tow anything
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #59
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
I agree, these cell phones are a big down fall when driving. Also the driving age of these kids is way to low. Some kids are responsible at 15 years of age but most aren’t. And what they learn on the road at this young age translates to their driving habits all through their lives. Good or bad. Also a couple of the videos that show a TT starting to sway and finally loose control i can’t fathom how a driver cannot know whats happening and take their foot off the gas. This is just common sense. Lets face it some folks should not be allowed to drive let alone tow anything

I agree with your age statement, here in Ontario with several beginners levels of license which applies to any age driver starting out, it is a start in the right direction.

When I got my license in the UK more years ago than I care to remember you started off with a very limited operators license, actually a little bound red soft-cover booklet. It had empty pages like a passport. As you upgraded the permit the pages were stamped with the classes of vehicle you could operate. Cylinders, horsepower, size of vehicle, trailer towing then incremental increases in the size of them, you even had to get an endorsement for automatics. Truck drivers would have their endorsements entered as they upgraded too. When you were a beginner you had to have "L" plates on your vehicle (a white square with a red letter "L" on it) when the beginner was driving it, typically magnetic so you could remove them easily when a licensed driver was operation the vehicle. If not mistaken they are still required to this day! Our Canadian military has signs on their trucks when student drivers are driving them.

For more than 40 years I've been advocating plateaued licensing, if you want to drive a cube van after driving your micro car all day you should have had minimum instruction in driving that size of a vehicle; tow a trailer, training and a driving test incremental with the size of the trailer; motor-home, same thing. You should have to prove competency in it's operation then have that added to your docket by the government.

And don't get me started on people towing without proper mirrors, lights not working, overloaded vehicle or trailers, nose high or dragging the TV bumper.....errrr. We see it all in our 3000 sq mile park where I work 10 months of the year (Algonquin Provincial Park).

Geoff
Class ABMz license
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, truck