Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Truck Stops or Regular Gas Stations?

So we're about ready to pull a TOAD for the first time behind our 30 foot class C...so we'll roughly be 42-45 foot in length like the big A's. Does that mean that I should begin gassing up at only truck stops that can more easily accommodate me? (I know some regular gas stations might work but when traveling you don't know until you're right on top of them and no backing up with four wheels down!)

And if it is truck stops lanes now, can my regular credit cards be handled at the pump or do I need to get a branded Flying J/Pilot Card or commercial type card to get in and get out quickly at the pump?

Thanks for the valued input!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

We only use Truck Stops. Gas stations, unlike Truck Stops, might have an attendant we can't understand and filthy restrooms.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

40’ coach here pulling a toad. I very seldom use the truck lanes. Just too dirty. Hate to drag the diesel on the pavement back into the coach. I just pull off at about any station. Look at it from the road and pick a pump. Generally have no issues. Some truck stops have a special RV lane. Those are good.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

We're 43 ft long with the toad. I usually use gasbuddy to find a good price and then use google maps to look at the sataion. I prefer stations with the lanes parallel to the road. It's my understanding that in Arizona, the truck lanes have a higher tax (22c?) on Diesel than do the passenger lanes. FlyingJ/Pilot diesel fuel is about 50c per gal more along the interstate than the stations in town.

On a side note, the difference in a 43 class A and a smaller class C with toad is the C can bend when turning.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

It's mostly a matter of preference. I have a an F350 + ~42ft 5er. I prefer truck lanes. Easy in, easy out, easy parking. If you go this route, take it easy on the squeeze. The flow rate is high and if you're not careful as it gets near full, you'll have diesel spill over.

In Southern IN or in KY, cant remember which side of the boarder I was on, a station didnt allow personal vehicles / personal credit cards and made me use the non-commercial pumps. I was a bit concerned about the height of the overhang but still fit.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #6

Some of the truck lanes which are diesel require special corporate account cards. Stay away from those.

Most major gas stations on major highways will be fine for a RV + toad. Just stay away from the small ones or ones where your toad would still be sticking out into the road while filling up. So stay away from pumps at local stations that are right near the curb. You won't see those at highway rest stops though.

Also avoid stations where you pull straight in towards the station house while pumping - unless you are SURE you can make the 90 degree turn back out after filling up. But often you can do those by coming in from the station house end which leaves you pointing out ready to go after filling.

Rule of thumb - don't go in unless you can see a clear path back out. Look before you leap! If in doubt, stop first and GOAL - Get Out And Look.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
<snip>

Rule of thumb - don't go in unless you can see a clear path back out. Look before you leap! If in doubt, stop first and GOAL - Get Out And Look.

Great "rule". Almost pulled into a station that looked great, then at the last second saw that there was only about 30 feet past the pumps to turn around to exit.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Great "rule". Almost pulled into a station that looked great, then at the last second saw that there was only about 30 feet past the pumps to turn around to exit.

When I find myself in a place like that I only pull far enough into the "lane" so I can use the first pump (I'm gas so I can use most any station). This leaves my trailer pretty much clear and with the aid of the backup camera I just back up enough I can use the "other" entrance to leave.

Most any gas station or convenience store I've encountered that was built in the last 20 years or so usually has plenty of room. Ones I pass by are the old locations that have been squeezed by road widening, etc.

I have no set "rule" on where I stop for gas other than it being a place I can get in and out of without major hassle. Since I also carry at least 10 gallons of gas for the generator I have some "range extender" aboard so I'm not trapped in any one location. Enough to make it to the next town or interchange with fuel.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

Have you co-pilot do a google satellite view of any stop down the road you have in mind and see how the layout is and you will know ahead of time if you want to chance it.

Also, some of the better smaller stops like Kwik Trip / Kwik Star, some larger Casey's, some Kum & Go, type of c-store outlets now have truck diesel lanes. They are better class of stops and not nearly as nasty at the pumps as some major truck stops.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

We have a 35' gasser and this extends to 55' when towing. I try to scope gas stations before committing. Out side lanes usually have better room and allow us to drive around the building after fueling. My co-pilot gets out and helps me get the fill close enough to the hose because of the backing up issue. I have seen many say you can creep back a very short distance without harm but have never tried it. If you have a Good Sam membership, you get a discount at Pilot and Flying J. Sams Clubs are also a good choice if you are a member as you can fuel with a discount and shop at the same place if you are members.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #11

unless the OP's Class C is a diesel, truck stops won't matter...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider

So far in 2019 I've driven 2,908 miles and bought 258.239 gallons of diesel fuel for my Class C pulling a Jeep Wrangler. My average fuel cost for the period is $3.098 per gallon. Here's average cost breakdown by brand in ascending order: Flying J, $3.01; Chevron, $3.06; Sinclair, 3.09; Shell, $3.25; 76, $3.349. All the Sinclair stations were in NV.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

We have done both. Truck stops generally have more amenities, are cleaner, and have food. They may also be more congested. With a Class C gasser, you will be using the same pumps as at any station. With some smaller stations, there may be a premium price for gas closer to the Interstate. Don't forget Sams and Walmart.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Gold Tee Box

Personally, I like Truck Stops, but plan my stops for my travel each day, and have found some great fuel stops on side roads using a map search and satellite or street view so I know what I am getting into or out of.

We are about 56 feet total, and burn diesel, so truck stops work good for us pulling into the truck lanes.

DW goes in and tells the attendant how much fuel we want and does her thing while I'm fueling and cleaning windshields.

Then we pull forward or park and take a break.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #15

I don’t use truckstops because I can’t swipe my card. Pilot/Flying J cost to much but it all depends on how bad I need fuel
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #16

I try to avoid truck stops because the diesel is expensive and they are dirty and are full of criminal looking men. Love's is one of the worst! My brother in law uses Love's for the discount but because their diesel price is so high to start with the discount still leaves you paying to much. I only travel about 300 miles per day at most so when I unhitch when I stop for the night I use Gas Buddy to find cheap diesel.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #17

Gas Buddy, Google Earth?? HHMmmm $30K, $50K, $100K or more on an RV. $30, $50 -$60K on a TV or toad ~~~~~~ and look for cheap instead of convenient fuel? With a 22' truck and 43' 5er I'll take the truck lanes every time
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Some of the truck lanes which are diesel require special corporate account cards. Stay away from those.
Really, I have never ever experience this. When I am towing my 5er that is all I use is truck stops on the interstate. I just pull in to any line that is the shortest (with the least amount of trucks or none) and has the control unit for pumping on the drivers side. When it is my turn to fill -up I walk in and tell the attendant what fuel island and how much I want to put in. Charged that amount and than go and fill-up the truck, either I or the wife will get the finial receipt for the fuel. I will pull forward and than go to the rest room if I have to. Been pulling a 5er for 10 years, the first year was with a gas truck and I said never ever more will I RV with a gas engine vehicle. A diesel engine pull vehicle ever since and no regrets at all.

Why do I use truck lanes? Because my unit is 13'-6" tall and my total over all lengthen is 55'. Gas stations just don't work for me.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #19

When we travel, Flying J stations provide the easiest access for our 32' class A Georgetown with the toad behind it. Between the Good Sam discount and the 4% cash refund for fuel on our Costco credit cards, it helps with gas cost. Flying J stations also have dumps and potable water.

Other gas stations can be used if you use the end pump (leftmost or rightmost) and angle the rig around the pump so you don't need to make a 90 degree turn when leaving the pump.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #20

Paying at Truck Stop / Truck Lanes

As far as I can recall, most of the diesel islands require that you "prepay" if you don't have a commercial card. This is just a hold on your credit card. What I do is try to estimate what I think it will cost and round it up. I have a 32 gallon diesel tank, run it down to about 1/4, so I go to the cashier and put $100 on the hold. Go back to your rig, fill it up, go back to the cashier and they will run the actual amount through. I learned early on to over estimate how much you need. Had to go back to the cashier a second time because the pump kicked off before I was done. A little inconvenient, but I like the clearance the truck lanes afford (pull a fifth wheel needing 12' +/- head clearance)

Tags
gas, truck