Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That really frosts me too! When I get to the merge signs I move over as instructed. It is really annoying when you've done so and patiently worked you way forward and then some jerk zooms around you to bully his way in at the front of the line. I really do like it when I see big trucks blocking both lanes, working forward together, and preventing the bullies zooming to the front.

I also qualify for you cranky old farts title!
X2

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #62

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
Drivers are supposed to use both lanes to the merge point. Truckers who straddle two lanes to prevent people from using both lanes are obstructing traffic. If it’s not illegal, it should be. Traffic control is not in a truck driver’s job description.

A couple of truckers tried to control traffic on the PA turnpike a couple winters ago during a snowstorm and caused a huge pile up. They controlled traffic alright. Stopped it completely.

That is how the Texas DPS say it is supposed to work but you still get the occasional crack head that tries to assert his/her dominance over everyone else.

Why would anyone get over 2 miles or more before they need to?
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #63

I believe in Karma when it comes to courtesy on the road. He'll get what he gives someday and hopefully he won't take anyone with him. Sorry for your experience.
I had a similar situation where coming back after a Thanksgiving trip the wet snow quickly iced over the roads as the sun set. We had been traveling in fast lane going with the flow of traffic when the entire highway came to a stop at the foot of a long hill. While waiting for the traffic to start moving again, I noticed the guard rail getting closer and realized I wasn’t pressing the brake pedal hard enough and the back wheels were turning causing the back of the truck to shift toward the left shoulder. Although we were only 60 miles from home, I decided the conditions were not safe decided to take the last exit. This meant I had about a quarter of a mile to cut two lanes of non-moving traffic. I flipped on my signal and waiting for the traffic to start moving. When my lane started moving, I waited for the vehicle to the right to move and started slowly coming over. Seeing as the lane I was leaving was moving faster than the others, it seemed obvious I wasn't changing to the 'moving' lane. It was unbelievable to me that as soon as I started forward moving the right because I thought the guy that was more than a car length behind my truck was letting us in, quickly pulled up to the bumper of the car in front. DW rolled down the window and said we were just wanting to exit but he wasn't willing to let us in. So I waited where I was assuming the next car would let us over, instead that car just shifted to the right to go around the front of the my truck that was already about a foot into the lane, so I waited, and as the back of his vehicle passed, moved forward and over some more. And would you believe the next car did the same thing. By now there was at least a dozen car lengths in front of me in the lane I was leaving. The traffic stopped again, DW opened her door and told the driver of the next car we were just trying to get to the exit and asked if he’d let us through. Thankfully he did, but we had to do it all over again with the last lane we needed to cross. That was several years ago and maybe I am just getting old and crusty, but it seems like drivers are even less courteous these days. Heck with the road rage epidemic, I could see someone taking a shot at us if we tried to explain why we wanted to cross their lane today.
Safe travels!
Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #64

There just isn't any excuse for road rage. None whatsoever. Nor is there any excuse to imperil the lives of others because you're having a bad day. I've been on the receiving end of these types and have an especially low opinion of them.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #65

All the big rigs I've experienced have been well behaved. However, on our last trip towing our trailer we were in the right lane, running alongside an acceleration lane. We were about halfway past it when a pickup came flying up the acceleration lane which was fast running out. I thought he was going to try and pass me on the right but braked hard and whipped in behind me. Then he whipped around me and intentionally swung over and cut me off to the point that I had to brake hard to keep from hitting him. What a jerk.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47driver View Post
This last weekend, I was heading home from Helen, GA. There had been a little rain, so typically for the south, everyone was driving 5 [snip] Do I feel bad about nearly running them off the road? Maybe, kind of. I guess so, because my wife says so. I'll admit it, when I was a police officer, I would have given me a ticket. I also would have absolutely given the Florida fan a pocket full of tickets as well.
You admitted several times to knowingly violating the law.

Is there a law where you were that says the right lane is for passing only? If not, as long as he is not above or below the posted [i.e., 65 max, 55 min] limit he has the right to the left lane. Stupid but legal.

You say you were a prior police officer, if you had taken this tale to court would you have won? As a former police officer, I would bet not. Not saying the idiot was safe or even close to being courteous but from what you acknowledge as a former police officer, how much testosterone was involved?

On the other hand... I probably would have done something stupid. I bet my DW would have let me have it when we stopped. She would not have distracted me from my hormone rage though. Just NEVER LET ME FORGET IT.

I need more experience towing before I can honestly say who was MORE wrong.

You acknowledge you were legally wrong.

As I read your description, I felt my blood pressure rise. I had all the wrong impulses and I am thousands of miles away and how many months?

Maybe I should stay off of the road!

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've lived most of my life here in WA State with a short visit (10 years) to CO.

Where I live there is a lot of truck traffic between the Port of Seattle and Canada. Truckers with BC plates going back and forth all day. A large number of the Canadian trucks like to drive a minimum of 10 mph over the speed limit and tailgate to the point that all you can see out your rear window is their grille.

The main issue in my opinion is how truck drivers are compensated, especially the independent operators. They get paid by the mile or by the load and in their brains that means "the faster I go, the more money I make". Take a "Company Driver" who's paid a regular wage or even salary and they have no reason to speed or take chances. You can see the difference in behavior on the road.

For some reason there is an underlying mentality among almost all drivers here in WA and that is simply "I have to be ahead of anyone trying to merge". Doesn't matter if they are only going to be ahead in a total traffic jam, they will fight (sometimes literally) for that space.

Something for all drivers in Washington to consider. Carry of firearms is legal in this state (protected by the State Constitution) and there are just enough people who might consider getting hit by another vehicle on purpose as "assault with a deadly weapon". That is actually written in State law. You can fill in the blanks from there.

Me? It doesn't matter if I'm stuck in traffic in front of, or behind, that impatient person who wants to fight for a place in a traffic merge. If they want it, go for it. I'll wait for a gap created by a more reasonable individual. Thankfully there are more of them than the other.

The other driver that drives me nuts is the one that will see your turn signal when driving far behind you in the next lane and then speed up to close the gap. If driving along and want to move right to take the next exit it's incredible the number of people that think they're NASCAR drivers and move up to block. When that happens I just start slowing until one of the more intelligent drivers comes along and realizes I might be trying to exit. This usually happens in areas where there are dedicated entrance/merge/exit lanes.

In all the years I've lived here in WA, driving our freeways has changed from just "Heavy Traffic" to "Combat Commuting". Glad I'm retired and only need to tow in our traffic a few times per year. Surprisingly the best state I've encountered for some semblance of traffic manners is California. Roads suck but the people there at least "co-exist" with other drivers more than other states.
You have said it clearly, TitanMike, we [Western WA drivers] used to have the reputation for being overly courteous. Not in my experience, lately. I used to travel the I-5 corridor, in particular the Seattle area and other than the stop and go, it was uneventful. Now, it is being cut off time after time.

I retired and find that when I get into Eastern Washington, it is a lot better.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Black View Post
It sounds crazy, but we were pulling our RPod on I90 in Washington State. The DOT had closed the right lane and posted that we were to merge to the left lane. Traffic was stop and crawl and people were merging well. The guy next to me left a large gap in front of him, so I started to pull into it. Just then the traffic ahead began to move. The guy who had left the space decided to go around me so went over toward the shoulder and out ahead. Then the truck behind him drove up and smashed the trailer fender. I assumed he wasn’t paying attention. I started out again, and he moved forward again and turned his tires to hit my pickup! Ok, I got the message and pulled back into the right lane. I took his number, called 911, and fumed. When I told a friend, he said the same thing happened to his brother in law in the same area. Anyone else experience an ass like that in Washington?
As a CO transplant into WA, I must say the trucker was legally correct. He would win in court.

I have read your description a couple of times and must admit that being a resident of WA State for almost 40 years, I learned something.

In merging the driver MUST yield to oncoming traffic. So the kindly person who left a gap was wrong, you, who from the merging lane decided to fill that gap was wrong so two wrongs put you into the VERY wrong and the IDIOT trucker who decided to give you a WA State driving lesson was right. Argh.

There is so much in your post that leaves questions in my mind. I have been here for 40 years and know the type and quality of driver has changed tremendously.

For me to say that you were fine in your assumptions and the other driver who appeared to give you space was legally right was also wrong... Maybe he was just avoiding conflict...

There is polite and there is “the Law.”

Having been here for a while, I have seen a big change FROM “let us all drive and get to where we want to be” TO “I have waited thirty seconds so get out of my way.”

All I can say is being legally right is no reason for vehicular assault. Proving it in court is another thing either way.

“Judge, the signs clearly said to merge from right to left. I was in the left lane, he pulled into my lane and HIT ME. He cut me off and hit my truck.”

“Yes, Judge the traffic was being force to merge left and when I saw a gap, I moved to the left and was hit by a truck maintaining his lane. HE HIT ME! Common Courtesy dictated he let me in.”

If I were the Judge, I would ask what the law was in your state, which driver, the one that was maintaining his lane or the one that was merging from the right had the right of way.

I have been a licensed driver in only five states and to my knowledge the law is to maintain your lane until it is clearly safe to change after signaling said change.

I think the trucker was an idiot. Legally right but a frustrated idiot.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #69
waybeck2018

OTR Trucks

My best advice is to get the company name and truck and trailer number. Then call the company and report it to the Safety Director.
Refer to SAFERSYS online then enter either DOT number or company name. That will take you to the overall record of that company AND the phone number.
I inspect trucking company's in my job. I assure you that owners and Safety Directors care about driver performance.
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #70

Quote:
This last weekend, I was heading home from Helen, GA.

---snip, snip, snip---

I also would have absolutely given the Florida fan a pocket full of tickets as well.
Been there - done that. I feel for you, as it is EXTREMELY frustrating when a driver decides to play mind games on the road. The road is dangerous enough as it is, but when someone does that, it makes it worse.

Oh, by the way, your last sentence identified him as a "Florida fan", but this in incorrect. A "Florida fan" is a Florida Gator, not an FSU Seminole. They (the FSU fans) CAN be very obnoxious at times.

2000 Forest River Wildwood Lite
2006 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4
GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #71
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
As a CO transplant into WA, I must say the trucker was legally correct. He would win in court.

I have read your description a couple of times and must admit that being a resident of WA State for almost 40 years, I learned something.

In merging the driver MUST yield to oncoming traffic. So the kindly person who left a gap was wrong, you, who from the merging lane decided to fill that gap was wrong so two wrongs put you into the VERY wrong and the IDIOT trucker who decided to give you a WA State driving lesson was right. Argh.

There is so much in your post that leaves questions in my mind. I have been here for 40 years and know the type and quality of driver has changed tremendously.

For me to say that you were fine in your assumptions and the other driver who appeared to give you space was legally right was also wrong... Maybe he was just avoiding conflict...

Having been here for a while, I have seen a big change FROM “let us all drive and get to where we want to be” TO “I have waited thirty seconds so get out of my way.”

All I can say is being legally right is no reason for vehicular assault. Proving it in court is another thing either way.

“Judge, the signs clearly said to merge from right to left. I was in the left lane, he pulled into my lane and HIT ME. He cut me off and hit my truck.”

“Yes, Judge the traffic was being force to merge left and when I saw a gap, I moved to the left and was hit by a truck maintaining his lane. HE HIT ME! Common Courtesy dictated he let me in.”

If I were the Judge, I would ask what the law was in your state, which driver, the one that was maintaining his lane or the one that was merging from the right had the right of way.

I have been a licensed driver in only five states and to my knowledge the law is to maintain your lane until it is clearly safe to change after signaling said change.

Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion...

When traffic is being diverted due to construction or accident, we are all supposed to let each other into the lane where the traffic signs are telling us to go.

Once your blinker is on telling other drivers around you of your intention to get in to the lane that the traffic signs are telling you to get in to, then there is NO EXCUSE OF THE LAW that is making it OK for other cars to stop you from getting into that lane.

Or bumping your vehicle...

Period!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Black View Post
Yes, I think so. But a bully or aggressive driver I’m not. I’m the guy who pulls over at every pull out if any cars are behind me.
Nice! Love reading this and I do the same when towing or not. If someone is behind me and aggressive, I am happy to let them go in the next small town or when I can. I don't expect everyone on the road to drive my speed. I understand that no matter what speed I drive, someone will always want to get past and I tend to drive fast. It's not my job to enforce the speed limits or determine what other drivers feel is their safe speed.

I hate following drivers that will race me through town when I attempt to get past but once outside of town, they drive slow and have a long line of traffic behind them.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post

While most of what you say is true under the letter of the law, there is still room for common courtesy. Lane closures and the attendant merge would go much more smoothly if folks wouldn't demand their rights. Ok, so the merging driver has to yield the right of way to the drivers in the adjacent lane. Does that mean you shouldn't be neighborly? If everyone would simply think about the bigger picture and allow a driver trying to merge in, the merge would be much smoother and there would be fewer hurt feelings. While you may pound the desk about "The Law", how about doing what's right and neighborly. Remember: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #74

Don’t Feel Bad for People like that!

I feel your pain! As a retired Police Officer with years of Commercial Truck enforcement, so drivers out there should not be driving, and the worst part is that they can kill someone with those rigs! We had a similar incident on I-75 Florida, this guy went into my lane like if I wasn’t there pushing my 32 footer with Jeep in tow to the shoulder at 80 MPH, luckily and exit just miraculously showed up and I exited before flipping! I called the Troppers, DOT and his company, or Company he was driving for! DID HE GET FIRED? I don’t know, but if he did, so be it! People like that should not be on the road! See they drive millions of pounds of pressure that in an accident becomes a bomb! So if they cannot value the lives of others sharing the road, they should not be allowed to drive, Period.
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #75
Director, FROG

Quote:
This last weekend, I was heading home from Helen, GA. There had been a little rain, so typically for the south, everyone was driving 5 under the limit. I had the cruise set for 2 or 3 over and was provided a clear center lane on the south side of Atlanta. Then, the Interstate went to four lanes...two in either direction. A Floridian who apparently loves the Seminoles (stickers, flags, and giant emblems on the side of their car) was cruising along in the left lane just under the speed limit. It was light out, so I gave them the quick flash of the high beams after following them for about 5 minutes. The traffic wasn't heavy, but didn't give me enough time safely to pass on the right while towing the camper. After about ten minutes of following in the left lane, and countless cars passing in the right because they could rapidly accelerate in the space available; I attempted to pass in the right lane. The two in the car were totally oblivious. I'll be honest...if the driver is collecting Social Security, I give them a break. But these two were most likely in their 50's and oblivious to anything going on around them. Mirrors on there car were useless, as they most likely are never used. I didn't make it around them, and was forced to slow to ten under to get back behind them. I was confident that the attempt to overtake them would make them recognize their inappropriate (and illegal) setting up camp in the left lane. Once I got behind him, he waved at me. No middle finger, but just a wave. I naturally assumed this was a friendly "my bad, I'll move". No such luck. So I waited another 5-10 miles, as I had an exit to take anyway.

To my disappointment, he took the same exit. Another four lane highway, and he stayed in the left lane. So I went to pass him on the right again. I accelerated to 75, 5 over the limit, and it was apparent that I would easily pass him in time, as the next car was miles ahead of us. To this point, he NEVER got to the posted speed limit. On the 70 MPH highways, he would slow to about 60 and accelerate to just under 70. Now that I was passing him, at 75 MPH, I stopped passing him. He stayed just behind my trailer axles. So, I sped up to 80. There he stayed at my axles. So I went to 85. He then started to overtake me. So, I slowed back down and prepared to move to the left lane behind him as I was closing in on the car in the right lane. I slowed to 70, and he never passed me. So I slowed to 65, and now he was right next to my TV, but not passing. His wife was giving me a real dirty look, and he was leaning over to look at me. I figured there may be an issue on my trailer, so I looked at the TPMS and the cameras, but nothing was wrong. They finally passed me, then paralleled the car in the right lane for about 5 miles; driving about 62 MPH. Once he passed the car, I moved back over and wanted pass this person. I floored it. I saw 85 MPH go by, and heard my wife suggesting I slow down. So, I looked in my side mirror, and there they were. Still right next to my trailer.

I turned on my signal to move left and began hugging the lane markings. He did slow a bit, and I moved over. Unbelievable. I honestly haven't been that mad while driving in years. Now I was in REAL trouble. I looked to my right, and my wife was aware of the entire move! I won the battle, but I lost the war!

The strange part of the whole thing is the absolute purposeful blocking of a highway. For the next 20 miles, I slowly continued to pull away from them, as they went back to 68 MPH and I stayed at 72. I never once saw them move out of the left lane. Do I feel bad about nearly running them off the road? Maybe, kind of. I guess so, because my wife says so. I'll admit it, when I was a police officer, I would have given me a ticket. I also would have absolutely given the Florida fan a pocket full of tickets as well.
The only thing worse than someone driving stupidly is two people driving stupidly. Soon we'll be hearing about a blowout and major damage (or worse) at 85+ mph, and blaming it on the tires. Sadly, common sense and common courtesy are both misnamed.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
The only thing worse than someone driving stupidly is two people driving stupidly. Soon we'll be hearing about a blowout and major damage (or worse) at 85+ mph, and blaming it on the tires. Sadly, common sense and common courtesy are both misnamed.

I think you are inferring that speed equals stupidity. While I understand your greater point, and admit that my frustration overtook my rational thought. However, to your lesser point; any blowout at any speed can be a large issue. I've had a blow out at 130 MPH and a blow out at 25 MPH. The difference? Not much really. If I (or anyone else) has a blow out and lose control, it is mostly due to lack of education/skill than the loss of the tire.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #77
Sunseeker 2400MBW

People here in Seattle sit at traffic lights after they turn green because they’re caught up in their phone and not watching what’s going on. Then I tap my horn at them and invariably they flip the bird at me! And speed off. I guess they’re embarrassed? I wish I had a horn the size of Texas, make them wet their pants.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #78

Nasty Americans

First make sure they are Americans and then realize that all parts of society are like parts of the human body and as you stated more and more parts of society think they are entitled and run the system but just end up being that part of body that expels rather smelly gas. Enough said.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #79
Director, FROG

Quote:
I think you are inferring that speed equals stupidity. While I understand your greater point, and admit that my frustration overtook my rational thought. However, to your lesser point; any blowout at any speed can be a large issue. I've had a blow out at 130 MPH and a blow out at 25 MPH. The difference? Not much really. If I (or anyone else) has a blow out and lose control, it is mostly due to lack of education/skill than the loss of the tire.
Speed by itself? Not necessarily. Pulling a fifth wheel at speeds approaching 90 mph while both drivers are experiencing what sounds a lot like road rage. Yes.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #80
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
One of my peeves is when there is signage for several miles telling you that your lane is ending and you wait until the last few feet to force your way into the open lane. Then I have no sympathy for you and will not go out of my way to accommodate.

Also, Liz and I were talking on our last trip and decided that for the last several years semi drivers have become worse and worse on the freeways. They use to be among the best drivers out there. Maybe the shortage of drivers, or the new enforcement of driving time, is causing the problem. Seems as though we see more terrible semi drivers than passenger vehicles.

Now when we need to pass a semi and they are weaving around, Liz gets her camera ready and takes a pic of the trailer license and then one of the driver. We have passed way too many semi drivers watching videos, messing with their phones, even reading books!!!! Have sent several pics to the companies. Don't ever hear what happened, but makes us feel like we are doing something.

Or, we are just old cranky farts with too much time on our hands

I'm with you on this.
Tuesday night leaving town heading back to the resort I came up behind a local taxi, both running lights out on the left side of the minivan and no brake light that side too. I phoned the taxi company (Al's Taxi, Huntsville, ON) I used hands free of course, and ratted out the driver. I asked if they ever did circle checks before and during duty, yah, of course they do.
That's why so many companies post their names and phone numbers on their vehicles, so AH's like me can be AHoles!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck