Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #81
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That really frosts me too! When I get to the merge signs I move over as instructed. It is really annoying when you've done so and patiently worked you way forward and then some jerk zooms around you to bully his way in at the front of the line. I really do like it when I see big trucks blocking both lanes, working forward together, and preventing the bullies zooming to the front.

I also qualify for you cranky old farts title!

X2
Love it when the trucks play traffic control, kinda puts every one on equal footing.

Another cranky old fart (63) well a wannabe.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #82

Equal footing is using both lanes to the merge point.

Traffic control is not a trucker’s job. Blocking both lanes is illegal.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:33 AM   #83
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I drive a piece of road just like this every Tuesday AM when not on the road camping. When I reach the merge arrows I match speed with whatever vehicle is next to me and keep that speed until either they or the vehicle behind me lets me in. For the most part I get looks of appreciation. BTW, I don't care if I'm driving my Titan or my Volt. The only way one is passing me after the merge arrows is "over the top". Not even the truckers are dumb enough to do that.

As for the proliferation of discourteous truck drivers, I read an article online in the last 24 hours that spoke of a truck driver shortage. The industry is even considering hiring 18 year old's as the older professionals retire.

Another source of discourteous truck drivers was NAFTA. The borders were essentially opened wide to just about anyone with a truck, license, visa, and insurance. Like I said in an earlier post you can pretty much bet that if a truck is 6" off your bumper while you are in the right hand lane, look for the Canadian license plate as they pass. There's a 90+% chance that's where they're from around here.

I'm sure that there is some of the same along the Southern border in that free travel zone created by NAFTA.

BTW, good luck suing a foreign driver. Our state has a bad enough time collecting for their tickets.

Mike, we have the same problems with American truckers here in Ontario as you do with our drivers. Check out our busiest highway in Canada, the 401. 3 or more trucks out of 5 are US flagged.

We too have the same problem of collecting the tickets but luckily we have reciprocity agreements with several States which allows them to collect on our behalf and visa-versa.
In Ontario, semis are electronically governed to 105kph (about 70mph) by law, almost every truck exceeding that is American or an out-of-province vehicle, or a local broker who hasn't been caught yet.

Please don't tar Canadian drivers as the only AHoles, there are just as many US drivers who are too.

By the way, there are still a vast majority of drivers out there who are very professional, it's just the asses that we all see and remember!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:44 AM   #84

Bunch of cry babies. Try driving a big truck once. Stupid 4 wheelers cutting you off. Racing to get around you just so they can hit their brakes and exit. Yes i have seen drivers blocking lanes to keep cars from cutting around them at construction zones. How many times have you seen cars driving down the shoulder just to get ahead. I would like to see the truckers shutdown for a few weeks. Teach the complaining public just how much they depend on trucks for every aspect of their lives.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:57 AM   #85
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Bunch of cry babies. Try driving a big truck once. Stupid 4 wheelers cutting you off. Racing to get around you just so they can hit their brakes and exit. Yes i have seen drivers blocking lanes to keep cars from cutting around them at construction zones. How many times have you seen cars driving down the shoulder just to get ahead. I would like to see the truckers shutdown for a few weeks. Teach the complaining public just how much they depend on trucks for every aspect of their lives.

My dad had an emergency fast freight company for 33 years (22 power units), I would drive on the odd weekend when visiting, still have my ABZ licence. He never wanted me to be a driver so I became an electrician!

Anyways, your comment about a trucker shutdown reminded me that here in Ontario the truckers tried that twice at least, the last time 25 or 30 years ago (maybe more); a total truck stoppage for 24 hours so the regular people would realize how much they depended on trucks. It was only a partial shutdown so no real success, too bad it didn't work.

Geoff
Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
My dad had an emergency fast freight company for 33 years (22 power units), I would drive on the odd weekend when visiting, still have my ABZ licence. He never wanted me to be a driver so I became an electrician!

Anyways, your comment about a trucker shutdown reminded me that here in Ontario the truckers tried that twice at least, the last time 25 or 30 years ago (maybe more); a total truck stoppage for 24 hours so the regular people would realize how much they depended on trucks. It was only a partial shutdown so no real success, too bad it didn't work.

Geoff

Look no further back than 9/11 here in the States. Nothing flew or ran on the highways except for a few cars for several days. Stores started to run out of things and people started asking "where are the truckers". I don't know if the folks in Canada were affected then or not but down here, the quiet was uncanny.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRealDeal77 View Post
I feel your pain! As a retired Police Officer with years of Commercial Truck enforcement, so drivers out there should not be driving, and the worst part is that they can kill someone with those rigs! We had a similar incident on I-75 Florida, this guy went into my lane like if I wasn’t there pushing my 32 footer with Jeep in tow to the shoulder at 80 MPH, luckily and exit just miraculously showed up and I exited before flipping! I called the Troppers, DOT and his company, or Company he was driving for! DID HE GET FIRED? I don’t know, but if he did, so be it! People like that should not be on the road! See they drive millions of pounds of pressure that in an accident becomes a bomb! So if they cannot value the lives of others sharing the road, they should not be allowed to drive, Period.

I'm in Midland TX at the moment attending a meeting and the traffic here is crazy! I was at a traffic light yesterday morning waiting to turn left. We get the green arrow, the intersection is clear and start moving when an idiot driving a flatbed semi losded with sand hoppers blows through the red light and makes a leisurely left turn. No one honked. Aggressive, bad driving is apparently a recreational pastime here. We lived here 13 years ago and things were busy but not THIS bad. But when you have an oil boom on and people are in short supply, you get drivers you wouldn't normally trust with your kid's bicycle much less a motor vehicle of any sort.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #88

Of all of the states I have travelled through, I have found the worst and most inconsiderate drivers to be in the mid-Atlantic region. In order of the worst to the least worst are Maryland, New Jersey, Northern Virginia, Delaware and New York. The best and most considerate drivers I have encountered are in the eastern portion of Pennsylvania. This includes everyday drivers and truckers.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #89

There are plenty of drivers out there that are courteous and considerate.
While I don't keep stats I believe truck drivers have a higher percentage of those.
The aggressive drivers do stand out, and more so in a large rig. We cross the country most years and have encountered many good drivers, sadly the ones I remember best are the nasty ones.

And while I don't keep stats I believe the larger percentage of aggressive/inconsiderate drivers are in the local commuting ranks, at least around here.

Tags
truck