Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Trucker deliberately hit me

It sounds crazy, but we were pulling our RPod on I90 in Washington State. The DOT had closed the right lane and posted that we were to merge to the left lane. Traffic was stop and crawl and people were merging well. The guy next to me left a large gap in front of him, so I started to pull into it. Just then the traffic ahead began to move. The guy who had left the space decided to go around me so went over toward the shoulder and out ahead. Then the truck behind him drove up and smashed the trailer fender. I assumed he wasn’t paying attention. I started out again, and he moved forward again and turned his tires to hit my pickup! Ok, I got the message and pulled back into the right lane. I took his number, called 911, and fumed. When I told a friend, he said the same thing happened to his brother in law in the same area. Anyone else experience an ass like that in Washington?

Jim Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Black View Post
It sounds crazy, but we were pulling our RPod on I90 in Washington State. The DOT had closed the right lane and posted that we were to merge to the left lane. Traffic was stop and crawl and people were merging well. The guy next to me left a large gap in front of him, so I started to pull into it. Just then the traffic ahead began to move. The guy who had left the space decided to go around me so went over toward the shoulder and out ahead. Then the truck behind him drove up and smashed the trailer fender. I assumed he wasn’t paying attention. I started out again, and he moved forward again and turned his tires to hit my pickup! Ok, I got the message and pulled back into the right lane. I took his number, called 911, and fumed. When I told a friend, he said the same thing happened to his brother in law in the same area. Anyone else experience an ass like that in Washington?

I can't say I have heard one like this before and am trying to envision the part in red. Are you saying he was about even with your pickup and was able to turn his steering tire into the side of your pickup without anything else making contact?

What did the cops say about this?

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

He hit the fender. We both stopped. I could see the fender and that it was clear to move ahead, so did. He moved up and rammed the back of my pickup. We were going so slow that it didn’t dent it, just removed paint. I keep running it through my head to see it from his perspective, but can’t see how it was not deliberate. He stopped down the road by me and yelled at me. I said that he hit me deliberately. He didn’t deny it, just said he had the right of way and I was at fault. In our state at least, that is the law.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
He hit the fender. We both stopped. I could see the fender and that it was clear to move ahead, so did. He moved up and rammed the back of my pickup. We were going so slow that it didn’t dent it, just removed paint. I keep running it through my head to see it from his perspective, but can’t see how it was not deliberate. He stopped down the road by me and yelled at me. I said that he hit me deliberately. He didn’t deny it, just said he had the right of way and I was at fault. In our state at least, that is the law.

OK, I'm going to bow out as I still can't envision this, especially how he could hit the back of your pickup with the trailer attached and he not have some liability somehow.

It sounds maybe like the police never wrote this one up.

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Even I have trouble and I was there. I may be all wrong about what happened, but that’s what I think happened. Really, the only one who can know for sure is the truck driver.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Even I have trouble and I was there. I may be all wrong about what happened, but thatís what I think happened. Really, the only one who can know for sure is the truck driver.
So...what did the coppers say and/or do about this?

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Very friendly state trooper said that the law on merging is black and white, and the person merging is responsible. I told him that I believed the trucker hit me deliberately, but didn’t explain and he didn’t ask me to. I think he, like me, couldn’t imagine a professional trucker would jeapordize his license. I don’t intend to make an issue of it, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced something like this.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Not a newbie

Had a pickup pass me with my TT in tow on a mountain road in a no passing zone. He missed causing a head on collision by 2 or 3 car lengths at best.

Traffic was flowing well at the speed limit (45) to + 5 mph over.

Not fast enough for him I guess.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Not a newbie

Life's short, and he's in a big hurry to get it over with.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Yes. Bad enough when you’re driving a car. Avoiding an accident is much more difficult with a trailer. I had wanted to do some long trips, but am thinking no after this. I think Americans are just getting nastier by the year.

Tags
truck