Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

trucks, hitches and a horse trailer question

I am sure that their must be at least one person with a horse hobby or business who might be able to answer this.

We are about to sell our 2000 F150 with a V6 and upgrade to a F250. This is a sudden sort of thing so are scrambling with what to do with our old truck. Not sure for one thing if it is better to try for a trade-in (probably lose some $$) or sell privately (probably too slow).

A friend of DW is into the horse hobby in a big way and has several horses including a dressage one (money spending hobby??). She is interested in possibly buying our truck to tow a 2-horse trailer. I have no idea what is needed in the way of a truck for towing a horse trailer. Wondering if a V6 F150 is good enough and do horse trailers use a WDH? Our truck is rated to tow 5,500 lbs. We have towed our 5,000 lb TT (as weighed on a scale) through Wash., Oregon and Cali. with no real problems except a bit under-powered on steep hills.

Is our V6 F150 going to be okay for DW's horse trailer? Don't want to sell it to anyone, especially a friend if it isn't.

Also wondering if we should keep the WDH we have or sell it with the truck. Would rather upgrade to a better WDH and sway control anyway.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I am sure that their must be at least one person with a horse hobby or business who might be able to answer this.

We are about to sell our 2000 F150 with a V6 and upgrade to a F250. This is a sudden sort of thing so are scrambling with what to do with our old truck. Not sure for one thing if it is better to try for a trade-in (probably lose some $$) or sell privately (probably too slow).

A friend of DW is into the horse hobby in a big way and has several horses including a dressage one (money spending hobby??). She is interested in possibly buying our truck to tow a 2-horse trailer. I have no idea what is needed in the way of a truck for towing a horse trailer. Wondering if a V6 F150 is good enough and do horse trailers use a WDH? Our truck is rated to tow 5,500 lbs. We have towed our 5,000 lb TT (as weighed on a scale) through Wash., Oregon and Cali. with no real problems except a bit under-powered on steep hills.

Is our V6 F150 going to be okay for DW's horse trailer? Don't want to sell it to anyone, especially a friend if it isn't.

Also wondering if we should keep the WDH we have or sell it with the truck. Would rather upgrade to a better WDH and sway control anyway.

Thanks for any advice!
Would need to know the weight of their trailer. Horses will weigh min of 1k each and easily could be 1200 lbs each. I haul a two horse trailer with tundra 5.7 v8. My trailer also has customized front dressing room with sofa and a/c unit on roof. Had to put airbags on truck to keep level. Because of wheels placed way back on trailer there is a lot of tounge weight. Now if it's just a stock trailer it will be a lot lighter.
Not sure if this helps or not. But I would not try pulling mine with 6 cyl truck.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

had a buddy with an all steel (some are aluminum) 2 horse with front dressing room. I used to help him twice a year when we moved the horses back and forth to school. It weighed around 7K with two horses on board.

Way to much trailer for an v6 1/2 ton.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #4

Thanks for info. so far. All I know at the moment is that she has a two-horse trailer. I will find out.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

I would not want to pull a 2 horse trailer with a v6 1/2 ton
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote