Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

TT build timeline

How long does it take to build your average TT from beginning to final inspection? I know the industry is hot right now and was just curious how fast they can pump one out.

Humteddy2

2014 Silverado Z71 LTZ 1500
2017 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

From what I`ve see from my work n play I`d say maybe 6 to 8 hours to build it. I`m still finding sawdust , wire pieces , broken pex clamps . A lot of trim with the staples shot right thru and not holding nothing. Fast and careless is the best way to describe it. Best of luck to you .Found a board under my dinette that wasn`t cut it was broke in half . That to me is plain BS
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

I just got a VIN number Monday. I was told it would hit the line on 04/25. I was told 4-6 days for building it...........then factory PDI (didn't get an estimate for this)......and then 7-10 days transport to dealer.

I have NO idea if any of that is accurate, but it's what I was told.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Mine was built in a day. There were 20 built with mine in a day.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

We were told 6 to 8 weeks when we ordered it mid march. I spoke with the factory last Thursday and they said it would be finished by end of month if not sooner and then 7 to 10 days deliver. I go up tomorrow for a factory tour. I am hoping to see my trailer being build. We ordered a Flagstaff V-lite 30wtbsk.
frfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

We were at the Flagstaff assembly line picking up our trailer after a roof replacement. They were assembling 35 units that day. The subassemlies are waiting. All they have to do is put them together, and QA them. They are not released at end of day until all 35 are complete.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

What number did you use to contact the factory? We ordered a travel trailer about the same time as you mid March and our dealer doubts it will be delivered until early June.
daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
What number did you use to contact the factory? We ordered a travel trailer about the same time as you mid March and our dealer doubts it will be delivered until early June.
I have been in contact with Anthony Yoder 574-642-8920. We took a factory tour on the 21st and saw our frame being built. He told us the entire trailer would be finished by end of the 22nd. Then it is 7 to 10 days from then for dealer to take delivery. I only live 2 hours from the factory and our dealer is only 3 hours away so that might help us get it faster but i wouldnt think it would be 2 months faster. The day we were there they were finishing up a few super lites and were working on the v-lite and windjammers.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
Update. I spoke with my dealer today. Looks like the order was placed Feb 29th. They said they have spoken with the factory reps and the dealer should expect deliver april 29 to May 4. We should get deliver a few days after that. Hope this helps. We were told 6 to 8 weeks. It will be right at 8 weeks.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #10

Thank you for the feedback for delivery time. I will follow up with the factory. Greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
We were at the Flagstaff assembly line picking up our trailer after a roof replacement. They were assembling 35 units that day. The subassemlies are waiting. All they have to do is put them together, and QA them. They are not released at end of day until all 35 are complete.
Your time frame is pretty accurate, time will vary model to model, BUT 30% of Forest River trailers go to audit. An audit is where a trailer is inspected with a fine tooth comb. An audit can set the unit back by a day. Some manufacturers have an audit rate of 50%.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

Ours was delivered about 3 weeks quicker than we were told. Pleasant surprise.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #13

I'm talking about how fast one is assembled, not from order day to delivery. I know they can build a car in a few hours.

Humteddy2

2017 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

I talked with Rockwood via email and was told my dealer could give me the information. I asked them to see if they could respond. Will see what they say. Thanks for all the information
Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

My view of the production process on our unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humteddy2 View Post
I'm talking about how fast one is assembled, not from order day to delivery. I know they can build a car in a few hours.

Humteddy2

2017 Surveyor 285IKDS
We sold our Weekend Warrior a month ago and have been anticipating our new SANDSTORM 250slc for about two weeks. They initially thought that the factory would run them end of March or early April and they were Run in Mid April so ANY DAY NOW. Toured the factory in Rialto, CA on the 19th of April on super duper special prearrangement by my dealer. Pretty sure we found our special order unit on the assemble line, at about one day in to the process of assembly. It was just starting through the building. In fact to get ahead of the game, there were plumbing guys and cabinet guys setting the cabinet frames and interior walls on the unit, outside, before it started in to the assembly phase inside.

Rep at the factory told me usually they plan from pulling a set of frame rails and axles off the pile to a finished product is FIVE working days. They only Run Monday through Friday. By educated guess, ours was about a day along when I was there Tuesday afternoon so we should have had ours out the end of the assemble line and over to their delivery/final Quality Control area on last Friday or maybe not until Monday morning.

We were Hoping that it would be at our dealer 40 miles away yesterday, but evidently not yet there.

Anyway, the process looked pretty good. Tanks go in the frame, generator was mounted, and all are plumbed, then an insulated deck goes from end to the other and a guy with a big hand operated belt sander runs it from end to end until he is satisfied that it is flat and smooth. Vinyl goes the full length and at some point early on card board is taped over all the central walking are where the workers will be in and out building the beast. The flat topped unit with only the back door frame and the generator sticking above the floor is move out of that door then down half a block to start in through the door to the beginning of assembly.

QC guys were overseeing each department/phase of assembly. Cabinets built on site but doors, of which there were plenty in stock, are made outside. One guy seemed to put together all the wiring harnesses by model. He was dozens ahead with the Electronics box, fuses, breakers and looked like converter all mounted together and then a whole bunch of copper wire coming out and coiled around it then sitting on a shelf, presumably until the unit pulled by on the line and then an installer pulled the box over to install it.

After the interior walls and cabinets are in, plumbers set the sinks and the above deck plumbing it routed to where it belongs. Lots of set ups for later installations are made while it is wide open and every step is outlined on a clip board with the multi-page BUILD SHEET of the exact step by step process is listed out. Every worker or his QC overseer has to enter their name on the check list as each bit of piece is installed and checked. That clip board stays with the unit from the moment the frame has tires installed up to the end of assembly QC checker gets his or her hands on the unit.

Wall come next as wiring continues through out and the fridge gets mounted. When the walls are framed, installed and insulated, they are sheet ed in the case of our aluminum unit and eventually then aluminum or fiberglass the decals go on. Evey unit the same done by hand by the same well practiced team. Then eventually at the East end of the line the pre-assembled roof is lowered in place and secured. Specialty roofers install the one piece rubber roof to the top, front back and sides. As holes are cut in the exact spots, vents and A/C units are mounted and then the unit is moved up to the final line and starts moving West toward the Exit for interior finish, accessory installations, passage doors, cabinet doors, window coverings, overhead beds, mattress, bedding and furniture are all installed. The guy they trust must be the guy with the stereo, TVs and TV mounts as all of his stuff is kept under lock and key until he need something.

These things are precise, but still old school, build by the hand work of individual, specialized crafts men and women.

After all the finish stuff, the final phase, nearing the West Exit doors of the building looked like a fill up of water tank, then plumbing tested until there was water to drain from each waste tank, all controlled, indoors and with only a modest amount of water spilled under the path. I hope it was spillage as that would have been way too many leaks. As each unit passes, it is pushed the old fashioned way, by several workers on foot over to the door where a tow vehicle picks it up to move it out for final inspection and ultimately for a delivery driver to pick it up and move it.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #16

5 days to build a trailer? Hmmm.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #17

Well I am not buying that the BUILD takes that long but what he said is from picking the frame up with the fork lift to put the wheels and tires on it to the Final Drive off, they like to FIGURE five days. It looked to me like once on the actual assembly line, to the end of that line and off to QC is more like 2 to 3 days. It is a pretty long assembly line. I only had an hour or so to tour but looked like there could have been more than 30 units in the building while I was there and I think they said they finish like 12 or 15 trailers a day. But still officially they say 5 days for planning purposes.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #18

During our tour last week for the rockwood/flagstaff plant we were in the guide said there are 50 stations start to finish. They want a line roll every 14 min. So by my calculations that would turn out to be start to finish in 11.6 hours.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfv View Post
During our tour last week for the rockwood/flagstaff plant we were in the guide said there are 50 stations start to finish. They want a line roll every 14 min. So by my calculations that would turn out to be start to finish in 11.6 hours.
Probably an automated line and computer controlled processes versus our local plant that is about 40 years old and pretty much old school, everything done by hand.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Probably an automated line and computer controlled processes versus our local plant that is about 40 years old and pretty much old school, everything done by hand.
The plant we were in was all done by hand. No robots or computers running anything. The workers looked like ants running back and forth but they were getting it done. I was watching my watch as we went through the plant and every time I saw the line move I looked at my watch. Most of the time it was at 13 minutes.