Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
For the Tundra, the 31QBTS is a long trailer. I have the 11' Tundra Crew Max Limited pulling ~8k fully loaded 29' TT. Pulling that much weight, as many say, is slow going in 3rd gear up the steep hills. But that's OK because on the flat road 65mph is easy in 5th gear. I echo the comments about the thirsty engine - I carry a 5-gal fuel jug in the back just in case.

Trailer sway gets to be a problem with long trailers. Industry accepted practice is to match the TT length to the TV wheelbase. Crewmax has 145" wheelbase, translating to a recomended max TT length of 29'. Under most any condition, 29' is considered the maximum. Since your TT is longer, the recomended adjustments are:
Use a weight distribution hitch that transfers the articulation point forward such Hensley or Pullrite
Correct weight on hitch ball (very important)
Sway bar on TV (Toyota makes a nice one)
Road conditions

Other things that help control sway (after it has started) seem to be standard on these recent fully equiped Tundras such as VSC and TRAC.
Happy trails.

lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
Not sure what the length is on the 31QBTS is but I had an 07 tundra dc pulling my keystone outback 312bh. Trailer was 35'6" and approx 9000lbs loaded. Tundra towed it like a champ. My only problem with the setup (and you are probably getting tired of hearing about it) was the fuel consumption. I live in concord nc and we drove to disney world orlando. Fueled up when I left home and we had to stop in every state on the way down for fuel. Its nice to stop and stretch but it always seemed like the truck needed fuel long before I needed a stretch.

2014 xlr thunderbolt 395 amp.
2011 ford f 350
Blaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Previously had '10 tundra CM towing a fully loaded 8400lb and 35' overall trailer. Been from NC to FL and many trips into the Appalachians. Never had problem pulling but I did hit the scales and was over my gvwr by ~200 lbs every time. Also upgraded to lt tires which helped over come the squishiness of the soft suspension but could never get truck under/at GVWR. So got a 11' 350 diesel and shortly after a fifth wheel. To be honest the tundra pulled the camper as strong as the 350 (that 5.7 is a beast) but the 350 did it without straining and gear searching.
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
We have a 2010 tundra crew max and a prime time tracer 3200 bth.... TT weighs in at 9500 and pulls like a dream. I've added firestone air bags to stop the porpoising and a equalizer weight distribution hitch. Family of 3 from indiana.

goofey chuck is offline   Reply With Quote