Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Turning Dish on and off?

I have contacted Dish about satellite tv for the camper. They tell me if I buy a receiver outright then I can call them when I go camping and they will turn the dish service on and when I am through I can call them and they will turn it off. They said there is no charge to turn it on or off and I will only be paying for the time it is on. Suppose I use it the last day of April and the first day of May. That's two days, do I get charged two days or two months? Does anyone have experience with this?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I have contacted Dish about satellite tv for the camper. They tell me if I buy a receiver outright then I can call them when I go camping and they will turn the dish service on and when I am through I can call them and they will turn it off. They said there is no charge to turn it on or off and I will only be paying for the time it is on. Suppose I use it the last day of April and the first day of May. That's two days, do I get charged two days or two months? Does anyone have experience with this?
I believe there billing period I remember is the 15th thru the 15th

Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Dish is a 30 day billing system for minimum use. 2nd to the 1st of following month, 15th to 14th of following month, 21st to the 20th of the following month, etc. at least this is how it was explained to me. Just don't pay after the next month and you have one month, pay each month in advance and you have uninterrupted service for each month you wish Dish service. Hope this helps.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

I have a Tailgater and do the turn on and off thing. I was told by the company I bought it from that I would be charged in 30 day increments. When I called to turn it off in Feb of this year I was only charged for the days I used. I expected 90 days but it was less than that. It may depend on who you talk too at Dish.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

I cannot remember who has "Pay as you Go" plans, but the way that works is you buy in 30 day increments and consume in 1 day increments. The minimum increment is one day.

What some people do is just move from cable to satellite. Generally extra receivers are cheap on a satellite plan, so for the extra $5/mo a number of people just leave them in the RT.

Reauthorization is really simple with the telephone's web browser. If you use something like KeePass, it will take you straight to the web page keying in your password for you. You locate your box and hit reauthorize and in under 5 minutes everything is working (more like 10-20 seconds).

Its kind of neat sitting down and just hitting a button on your phone to get things working.

The difference is when you start using HD. Mostly the changes are in the receiver and antenna. Instead of using a manual antenna most people suggest getting the automatic antenna because some HD systems use more than one horn.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #6

What service do you use at home? We take our receiver out of the house and use it in the RV. I use a Tailgator (automatic HD satelliite pod) We would only call if we wanted locals for the area but we usually don't. The only receiver that works with Dish Tailgator is the 211k. It's not DVR receiver.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
The only receiver that works with Dish Tailgator is the 211k. It's not DVR receiver.
It can be a DVR. You just have to buy your own portable USB hard drive, call Dish to have them set it up, and pay a one-time fee (in the $40 range).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have some newbie questions about Dish.

1st I have Dish at home with 3 receivers. One DVR, the other 2 not DVR. It was suggested that I switch one of the none DVR receivers out for the 211K and pay the $5-$7 dollar monthly fee. Would that prevent me from having to call Dish to turn it on/off? Could I just leave it in the RV and be good to go when I got to the site?

Also, is the 211K an HD receiver?
Thanks
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
I have some newbie questions about Dish.

1st I have Dish at home with 3 receivers. One DVR, the other 2 not DVR. It was suggested that I switch one of the none DVR receivers out for the 211K and pay the $5-$7 dollar monthly fee. Would that prevent me from having to call Dish to turn it on/off? Could I just leave it in the RV and be good to go when I got to the site?

Also, is the 211K an HD receiver?
Thanks
Yes, no need to turn it on & off (you wouldn't want to turn it off when you're using it at home, or are you saying that you don't need it at home anyway?). I do exactly what you're talking about except that I use mine at home too. You can get that receiver at Camping World right now for $85. I don't think you have to pay that monthly fee if you own it so that might be a better idea.

Yes, 211k does HD just fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yes, no need to turn it on & off (you wouldn't want to turn it off when you're using it at home, or are you saying that you don't need it at home anyway?). I do exactly what you're talking about except that I use mine at home too. You can get that receiver at Camping World right now for $85. I don't think you have to pay that monthly fee if you own it so that might be a better idea.

Yes, 211k does HD just fine.
Thanks Barry! My son is going off to college in the fall and I wouldn't need it at home, that is why I was wondering about just leaving it in the RV. If he or company came to visit, I could get it out of the RV.

I haven't purchased the Tailgaiter yet, but I will. I love Dish after being with the "other" company.

If you set it up at home and use it, do you get the same programming while on the road? The reason I'm asking is I want the Tailgator for SEC ballgames in the fall and if I'm at the stadium and they black out a game, if I had home programming, I still might get it on the TV. Just curious.

2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote