Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
So I've read many past threads and can't seem to find a consensus on this subject. My 12v 32" Insignia TV has pooped out (barely a year and a half of service) and I need to shop for a replacement.

If I go the converter route, I'll have a lot more purchase options but would sure like to find something with a higher "vibration" capability as you know the horrible roads out there we travel across the country. (I assume my TV's short life is directly related to all of these bumps and rattles.)

And if I start using a converter, tying it to my existing 12v power cord will perform correctly?

Thanks!
The problem isn't the bumps and rattles running down the road the problem is the cheap or cheapest tv they can buy to put in the rv . My Vizio . has over 30,000 miles and 4.5 yrs of bumpy road and is still perfect
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I would be one of the few people from Kalifornia that wouldn't say that...hence the way I spell it that way.
Ha...I was sort of thinking that but knew you'd set me straight. Have a great day!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #43

I went the inverter route. 110v TV.
(Best Buy) VIZIO - 32" Class - LED - D-Series - 1080p - Smart - HDTV ~$170.
(Amazon) Go Power! GP-SW150-12 150-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter ~$175. (rated at 80-90% efficiency)
(Best Buy) Sony - DVD Player ~$40.
(Best Buy) Insignia™ - 2.0-Channel Soundbar with Digital Amplifier - Black ~$40.-$50. (look for an open box). Its small, about 18"x3"x3".
I had to get a sideways plug to make it easier to fit the 3rd plug: 3 Way Outlet Vertical Wall Tap Splitter Adapter with 3 Prong Plug for behind furniture ~$8.98

One big thing to consider, a 150W inverter draws under 15 amps, larger Inverters (ie. 300w) may draw way more amps than the TT CLA supplies, it is usually on a 15 amp fuse in my TT for instance..., so far, so good, Ive had no problem with the 150W inverter to do all the work.

Mounted the inverter on wall behind TV (with Liquid Nails). I glued the inverter to a 3/16'" x 12" x 6" piece of plywood, let it dry, then glued the plywood to the wall to give more purchase to the wall. Got the GoPower for reliability. The fan never comes on.
Plugged inverter into the TT TV CLA behind TV on wall when I want to use it, otherwise, I keep it unplugged. Its a bit of a cluster of wires, all zip tied, but for the most part, are all hidden behind the TV. I use 3"x5" scrap foam around 2 sides of the TV to tuck it into the ceiling and wall with the arm that came with the original 18" 12V TV while travelin. Stays tight, and reduces some of the vibration IMO. Weight seems fine for the articulating metal arm, the TV is lightweight.

I have plenty power, I think my setup uses maybe total 110 watts.
And I can use the inverter for small use needs if I ever think of something.

Soundbar was perfect for trailer, used 2 metal straps to hang it from screws in back of TV and its tucked 1/2" under bottom of TV. I set the DVD player in a corner shelf near TV when using it, and I unplug the DVD player and store it with padding in the closet for travel, its a little hassle, but finding a place to mount it seemed problematic.

Sounds great, 32" is plenty, really good quality 1080 picture, and DVD player upscales a bit, BUT I dont watch Blueray, no biggie. Plus, its a Smart TV, so I can get that feature it offers in streaming if I want.

I have 4 6v trojan batteries, and can go 5+ days easy, with the heater at night, a movie everynight, the CPAC at night, all the lights and fans I want, and still have 60-70% of my batteries left. Even with 2 batteries, I think the TV/inverter may use a reasonably little amount of amps and could last 3 or 4 nights, if conservative. Now I have a jillion remotes, one for the TV, one for the DVD, one for the sound bar, 4 for the LED lights under the valences, 2 for the LED candles, (and a dimmer switch hardwired for the TT lights thank god).

The only thing left was the fresh water shortage, so now I carry a 32 gallon black square plastic tank in the back of my truck, fill it if need be, and use a small 12v pump, CLA into an adapter in my 7way, to transfer water via a garden hose to my TT tank.
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #44

Am interested in how you like the DVD player you got. I'm going to be adding one soon.

As for the extra water, getting more water has never been an issue for me, it's getting rid of gray water. When boondocking I've often just dug a hole and let gray water "percolate" into soil then covering pit. If people can dig holes and then do what bears do in the woods I doubt some bathwater will cause any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post
I went the inverter route. 110v TV.
(Best Buy) VIZIO - 32" Class - LED - D-Series - 1080p - Smart - HDTV ~$170.
(Amazon) Go Power! GP-SW150-12 150-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter ~$175. (rated at 80-90% efficiency)
(Best Buy) Sony - DVD Player ~$40.
(Best Buy) Insignia[emoji769] - 2.0-Channel Soundbar with Digital Amplifier - Black ~$40.-$50. (look for an open box). Its small, about 18"x3"x3".
I had to get a sideways plug to make it easier to fit the 3rd plug: 3 Way Outlet Vertical Wall Tap Splitter Adapter with 3 Prong Plug for behind furniture ~$8.98

One big thing to consider, a 150W inverter draws under 15 amps, larger Inverters (ie. 300w) may draw way more amps than the TT CLA supplies, it is usually on a 15 amp fuse in my TT for instance..., so far, so good, Ive had no problem with the 150W inverter to do all the work.

Mounted the inverter on wall behind TV (with Liquid Nails). I glued the inverter to a 3/16'" x 12" x 6" piece of plywood, let it dry, then glued the plywood to the wall to give more purchase to the wall. Got the GoPower for reliability. The fan never comes on.
Plugged inverter into the TT TV CLA behind TV on wall when I want to use it, otherwise, I keep it unplugged. Its a bit of a cluster of wires, all zip tied, but for the most part, are all hidden behind the TV. I use 3"x5" scrap foam around 2 sides of the TV to tuck it into the ceiling and wall with the arm that came with the original 18" 12V TV while travelin. Stays tight, and reduces some of the vibration IMO. Weight seems fine for the articulating metal arm, the TV is lightweight.

I have plenty power, I think my setup uses maybe total 110 watts.
And I can use the inverter for small use needs if I ever think of something.

Soundbar was perfect for trailer, used 2 metal straps to hang it from screws in back of TV and its tucked 1/2" under bottom of TV. I set the DVD player in a corner shelf near TV when using it, and I unplug the DVD player and store it with padding in the closet for travel, its a little hassle, but finding a place to mount it seemed problematic.

Sounds great, 32" is plenty, really good quality 1080 picture, and DVD player upscales a bit, BUT I dont watch Blueray, no biggie. Plus, its a Smart TV, so I can get that feature it offers in streaming if I want.

I have 4 6v trojan batteries, and can go 5+ days easy, with the heater at night, a movie everynight, the CPAC at night, all the lights and fans I want, and still have 60-70% of my batteries left. Even with 2 batteries, I think the TV/inverter may use a reasonably little amount of amps and could last 3 or 4 nights, if conservative. Now I have a jillion remotes, one for the TV, one for the DVD, one for the sound bar, 4 for the LED lights under the valences, 2 for the LED candles, (and a dimmer switch hardwired for the TT lights thank god).

The only thing left was the fresh water shortage, so now I carry a 32 gallon black square plastic tank in the back of my truck, fill it if need be, and use a small 12v pump, CLA into an adapter in my 7way, to transfer water via a garden hose to my TT tank.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #45

110v TV and Inverter and DVD Player

To answer your DVD question, to be honest, I just swapped my first DVD player that was a bit cheaper, and I was not happy, glitched and was slow to respond to the remote. That being said, the Sony was also a very cheap price, but looks like it upscales and may work better. I trust Sony, and would have spent much more, but I couldn't rationalize getting Blueray that was the next one available. I may change my mind later. That being said, I tried the Sony just once, and I think the Sony has a much better/sharper playback. I think it is way better than the Sylvania, even tho they are both in the sub $40. range.
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #46

Our 2016 Rockwood fifth wheel has a 12v "lighter" outlet and two USB ports in the bedroom, but no 12v capability in the living room/kitchen. So, we have a 120v TV in the living room and a 24", 12v TV wirh a 120v adapter in the bedroom. Most of the time, the bedroom TV is just on AC. Only when we are boondocking (and can get TV, which is rare in the Rockies) or overnighting at Flying J or Walmart do we ever plug the bedroom TV into the 12v outlet. So, we never use an inverter for viewing TV.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v, converter