Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

TV...INTERNET...WiFi

What do you use for the above listed services.

We continue to use the crank up antenna. Purchased a signal strength located...helps a bunch...when there is a selection. Some locations pick very limited number of channels.

I don't want a month to month satellite bill for the RV and at home.

I have data package for 2 smart phones and an iPAd. But I continually have to bump up the gigs...when wifi is not good

Going over pkg limit is very expensive.

The weather has been wonderful...tread the thought of heading home...which we will be doing in a week or so.

My favorite thing....ZAPPY 3x pro...3 wheel scooter! Lots of fun....easier than a bicycles,,,,,,,
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #2

tv, i use the crank up antenna. also use a tailgator and dish receiver as well. for wi-fi, i have a my-fi hot spot.
i use the sat receiver from home
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgrandpa1 View Post
I don't want a month to month satellite bill for the RV and at home.
So it sounds like you already have Satellite service at home? Most of us just take a receiver from home and use it in the RV. With that, you only need to buy a dish in some form for use with your RV. What provider do you use at home, and what models of receivers do you have?

(For others who don't have Sat service at home, Dish has a pay-as-you-go plan where you just pay for the days that you are camping. No contract involved.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Always Learning

For wifi there aren't a whole lot of options. I used to use a hotspot on my phone and recently got a dedicated hotspot device. I, frugal with data (no streaming video, no streaming music). I used a lot less when it was just me on my phone. Now that it is the hotspot, we use almost a 1/2-gig per day. Right now we are on a 5gb plan and I just pay the overages.

I know that Millenicom has a 20gb plan for $70/month.

Not many other options that I know of, though.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

we dont bother with either wifi or satellite. We have a very robust wifi/cable driven service at home, and do downloads of our favorite shows to an external drive, which is taken camping with us on long trips if there is rain or poor/cold weather.
much cheaper, always works and no adverts .....
d-mo
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

TV - Antenna

Internet - Campground ISP or Whatever juice I can suck thru AT&T wireless on my Droid smartphone

Will probably go with the "Dish Net Pay as You go" eventually but thats like item# 1,412 on the list of things I really want for my camper.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
we dont bother with either wifi or satellite. We have a very robust wifi/cable driven service at home, and do downloads of our favorite shows to an external drive, which is taken camping with us on long trips if there is rain or poor/cold weather. much cheaper, always works and no adverts ..... d-mo
Would you mind sharing some more details on HOW you accomplish this? I'd be the Mac-daddy if I could hookup wife with some of her shows by pulling them off of the DVR.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Would you mind sharing some more details on HOW you accomplish this? I'd be the Mac-daddy if I could hookup wife with some of her shows by pulling them off of the DVR.

x2 - I had a program and video card that did this very well on my old laptop but it was analog. Since the digital switch I haven't found anything. My cable provider does offer something similar but the selection of shows is limited. (Xfinity TV App)

XFINITY TV Player app with Download Feature

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am still researching. I will post what I decision I select...
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
we dont bother with either wifi or satellite. We have a very robust wifi/cable driven service at home, and do downloads of our favorite shows to an external drive, which is taken camping with us on long trips if there is rain or poor/cold weather.
much cheaper, always works and no adverts .....
d-mo
x3. I've been looking at satellite and don't have it at home. I was under the impression that the pay as you go plan is for a month at a time vs. a day at a time?

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
x3. I've been looking at satellite and don't have it at home. I was under the impression that the pay as you go plan is for a month at a time vs. a day at a time?
You have to pay a month at a time, but you just call them up and disconnect the service at the end of your weekend and when you reconnect five weeks later for your next trip, most of your month is still there. Read my earlier post here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post453422(It's post #29 if the link doesn't take you all the way there.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

In Canada I use my corporate phone and data plan (paid for by my employer. I do ensure the data is carefully managed. In the US we use a pay as you go Verizon hotspot; which works for us very well.

TV, just the antenna, we aren't big TV watchers in the trailer though.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #13

this is done through a media player .. either a Boxee or WD live and a fairly large external hard drive, which is a WD 2 terribite. Also a necessity for doing this is to have anti-virus software installed .. not the freebe stuff that is pulled off the net.
so basically you search out anything that you want to download, install reputable software ... and start loading the programs that you wish to view onto your laptop of desktop computers download files. After this is done, you then transfer/copy these files to your external hard drive via a USB hookup .. and voila .. you have a movable source of entertainment for either your home, or your RV.
Basically the Boxee and WD live media players can decode any type of media file, and play it. With this option, you can run the players from a WIFI signal in your home, allowing you to get netflix and other programs, and also allowing you to surf the net and answer emails, via your television.
The newer televisions have this option, including the media player, however they are not up to speed with certain facets of internet files, and some are a chore to operate. So this is why i have chosen an external player.

it all sounds confusing at first ... it really is basically plug and play ... download - transfer and view ...

if your still interested .. you can pm me and i will gladly answer your questions ..

d-mo
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

I have direct tv at home, I take one of my recievers from home and a spare dish when we go camping.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote