Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Type of Camping You Do

Trying to understand and see what everyone does.

I have a year to year Thousand Trails membership and do 30 nights per year, but also do 10-14 nights at pay campgrounds between $45-$75 per night cost of stays?

Just curious as next year we are putting together a bigger budget for camping to do more at Non TT campgrounds.

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

State Parks and COE Campgrounds near lakes.........with Sr. discount anywhere from $9 -$18 a night.

When traveling, stuck with having to pay for KOA's and Jellystone's and such. Packed in tight, and 5X-8X the cost.

Not enough experience to give much info past that.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Site Team

State, National and County parks 90% of the time.
We only stay in RV parks if we have to.
But now that we're retired, we hope to move to a bigger RV. Probably a 5th wheel, which will make RV parks more attractive.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #4

We go out about 2-3 nights per month. Half boon docking, half state parks. Next weekend going out to Cottonwood Canyon State Park with only primitive sites.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We do mostly rv parks with some state campgrounds. We like the activities for our DD. We also like to make sure there is a playground where we go for her.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference. Do you like amrnities, if so what ones do you want? Do you care if your sites are closer together or do you prefer more private secluded sites? Activities for kids or prefer going on hikes etc? Then there is the size of the rig. Bigger rigs have more trouble getting around state parks as they may have smaller sites, narrower roads or lots more trees to maneuver around. I went to one beautiful state park in NC that had a wicked turn that I barely cleared with my 40' fiver. I learned, to camp there I need to stay somewhere before the cutover road that avoids the turn. Another county park we went to had an area that big rigs would never clear the turns. It turned out this,area was for pop ups and tent campers. This wasn't advertised before going into the wooded loop. I barely made it out of there with my 30' TT. At one point it was a tight turn and another the road was so unlevel i thought I was going to roll my TT over.

Point is, only you can decide what type of camping is right for you and your family. And only you can decide on the amount of time you want to camp and your budget for doing so.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
Always Learning

We don't camp or even anything that rhymes with "camp" (aka glamp). We are travelers - always have been.

We split our time between Thousand Trails parks and anywhere else that will fit us and is convenient to where we want to go. I'm a slave to sewer and electrical hookups:
1) no sewer tote.
2) and our electric use seems to be astronomical based on the couple of single early overnights that we've attempted.

For Fulltiming, I budget $50/night for campground stays. We stay 1-2 weeks at non-TT parks and try to stay 3 weeks at TT parks (we upgraded to an Elite membership a short while back). The first 6 months, I averaged between $30-40. This year, I'm losing to my average due to Disney's campground and now I have a Key West reservation at Bluewater Key.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
Site Team

Since we're fishers, we stay at a lot of COE and other government parks. Since a lot if them are on nice impoundments (lakes) it fits our needs nicely. Also as B&J said, with the Senior Pass the fees are half price.

We have the setup listed in my sig and usually pull a 17' bass boat and have never had an issue finding a place in a COE park.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

One general comment......and DW and I have discussed this at length.

We have 3 kids, scattered all over the US. Colorado Springs, Savannah, and Charlotte.......and one grandson temporarily in Clarksville, TN We travel a lot.

When we got a camper originally, we camped mostly here in the state (Arkansas). Then because we had a camper we started looking all over in the places we went. Bought the camping books, COE Campgrounds, all that. And we were/are sorely disappointed.

Asquared mentioned (and I've seen others say the same thing) that State Parks are smaller, crowded, etc. I sort of shake my head. Ours are far superior to anywhere I've been. HUGE sites. Trees. Easy access. State Parks here traditionally have W/S/E hookups. COE sites are numerous (maybe 50 in this one state? I'm guessing), because we have a ton of COE Lakes. Those sites are HUGE also, easy access, bathhouses, but rarely have sewer. Almost all have water and electricity.

With a Sr. Access Pass, COE campgrounds are about $10 a night. State Parks give Sr. Discounts of 25% on weekends and 50% on weekdays. Don't have to be a resident. I'm going to a SC State Park next week and only SC residents get discounts. That's normal. Such for promoting tourism!!!

As Bama guy says above, we fish. And wife pulls the boat with HER truck (a 1/2 ton gasser!! LOL), and we need a spot all that will fit, and my two outside cookers, and chairs, and all the accoutrements. Can't do that if traveling very far, or to a small site.

I finally told DW, though I'm not sure she was happy to hear this, that I think when the 'new' wears off this camper, that we'll end up camping in this state, or some other Southern states that are similar, pretty much all the time. The private campgrounds may have a water slide (so do most COE lakes, btw, most have great swimming areas), but packing in like a sardine and paying $50 is not very conducive to travel. Oh I'll do it, and maybe more often than I now think...........the Goshen trip is an example.......private campgrounds all the up and there and back.

The above is my two cents, but I've waited to throw all that out there, and this seems a good post to do it. I know it's different 'out west' or 'up north', but.......well, it is just VERY different!

This is my opinion only, and worth less than what you paid for it.

EDIT: One other thing I've noticed. Man, there is a LOT of us!!! Every campground everywhere is full, all the time. I see folks with 10 acres on side of the road making 'campgrounds', basically just out in their pasture. Yep, they're full too!!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #9

For about 30years or so we boondocked 95% of the time. We went where if you wanted it you had to bring it because there was nothing there but trees, animals and moral mushroom hunters in May. Last year it was decided by the powers that be to clear cut the forest just across the trail from where we camped for all those years. They didn't fix the trail going up to the camp site, so we have been up there since they clear cut. Having said that we also go to private campgrounds. This year, starting in a few weeks we will head out to western Canada. We'll camp for 2 weeks in southern Alberta then meet our oldest son and boondock for maybe 3 weeks and then head up to the Edmonton area for a month in a private campground. So we carry equipment for both ways of camping. Gennys, solar, large water bladders, etc. Actually going to get the 5er out of storage in about 10 minutes, bring it home and then prep it for a 3 month meander.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

We tend to camp for a week at a time so FHU is the norm for us, which typically means staying in RV parks. When we camp for four or less days, we will stay at a state park. We can go four days without dumping. Virginia state parks are really nice and reasonably priced.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

We mostly do state parks. I will agree that Virginia state parks are really nice. Not a fan of private parks. Over priced and jammed together. Went to one park the sewer connect for the neighboring camper was under our picnic table. Did not stay there, got a refund and left unacceptable! Been to other private parks campers up on blocks like it's a mobile home park. Some of the sights we saw there. I knew darn well someone was cooking up Meth in there somewhere. Got out of dodge come morning light. We have learned to do a bit more research before making reservations.

As far as the camping itself. We don't set up a lot of stuff outside. Some times nothing at all. We try to camp where we can take dogs and hike. That's what we do most often. But we also do some race camping but that's a different breed of camping all together.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #12

Boon docking at Bluegrass Festivals....in fields where 4X4 comes in handy on occasion...Provincial parks here in N.S..some have Elect / Water hookups.Private RV parks..(Elect/Water& sewer are a nice perk sometimes)..National Parks (Kejimkujik) here in N.S...Walmart parking lots have also been used on longer trips...friends back yards...our own back yard...in total probably 50 nights a year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
State Parks and COE Campgrounds near lakes.........with Sr. discount anywhere from $9 -$18 a night.

When traveling, stuck with having to pay for KOA's and Jellystone's and such. Packed in tight, and 5X-8X the cost.

Not enough experience to give much info past that.
Same here, minus the SR discount.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

I wear out state parks/COE campgrounds. I've used full HU campgrounds a handful of times such as when I went to Bristol last year, but they're just too crowded for my taste. I like camping in the national forests too, best free camping around.

Since it's just me (Now single guy camping in a 38' 5er, I thought that one out well.) water and sewage isn't an issue, plus I have 36 gallons worth of spare water I carry in totes.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

We primitive camp in the public lands and tend to avoid campgrounds, both primitive and with hookups,as much as we can unless we are passing thru towards our destination and there isn't any other option.

We have 400 watts solar, 664 amp-hours of battery capacity, 56 gallons of fresh, 100 gallons of grey, and 50 gallons of grey water capacity which makes it very easy for us to camp out for 2 weeks straight. We typically carry 35 gallons of spare water for emergency but rarely tap into it unless the DW wants a shower lasting longer than 2 minutes.

There are lots of beautiful campgrounds out there but making reservations 6 months in advance takes away the spontaneity we cherish.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #16
OldGuysRule

We went seasonal this year. We are about 30 mins from our campground, which is only 4 miles from an amazing beach in Rhode Island. But last year we were "bookends", committing long term to the spring and fall, while camping elsewhere in the middle of summer. Prior to that we camped occasionally, different places and styles. We probably spent less than $1,000 park hoping, between $1,500 and $2,000 doing the bookends and $3,800/ season for our camper by the sea. We enjoyed it all. But the reality is that the camper we have now is big, I'm getting older and I don't want to be away as much. So one place all year (by a beach) is good with me.
Renegade837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #17

We stay at clothing optional resorts. Nice places with nice people. Sometimes while on the road we will spend a night on BLM land or a SP. We find a remote site so we dont need to dress while there. Carry enough with us that we can do without hookups till we get to the resort.
2012 Ram 3500, diesel, 4X4, dually, black, de-badged.
1994 Harley Heritage Softail, black.
2014 Honda Pioneer, not available in black.
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
We stay at clothing optional resorts. Nice places with nice people. Sometimes while on the road we will spend a night on BLM land or a SP. We find a remote site so we dont need to dress while there. Carry enough with us that we can do without hookups till we get to the resort.
Not quite there yet for us...

But we stay at the Thousand Trails (I figure 10 nights a year to make our dues pay for themselves) if convenient, stayed at KOA's before. I have no real complaints there. Stayed at many a regular old campground.

We do whatever fits the plans (or usually lack there of) for that particular trip.

I have NEVER stayed at a state park. Not really sure about the now power thing with the DW and DD. I do see some have water and electric though so I might need to just do it one day. Never done a BLM or NF Lands, not sure if there is even any of them around here.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #19

Type of Camping You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Not quite there yet for us...

But we stay at the Thousand Trails (I figure 10 nights a year to make our dues pay for themselves) if convenient, stayed at KOA's before. I have no real complaints there. Stayed at many a regular old campground.

We do whatever fits the plans (or usually lack there of) for that particular trip.

I have NEVER stayed at a state park. Not really sure about the now power thing with the DW and DD. I do see some have water and electric though so I might need to just do it one day. Never done a BLM or NF Lands, not sure if there is even any of them around here.

I stay at mainly state parks and COE (Raystown lake).. I always have electric site at State Parks. I fill up fresh water tank when I pull in, last trip to NC state park used tote for grey water. I like the space and nature feel of state parks. At $25 to $30 per night can't go wrong.

When traveling we will boondock or go to campground for night if we are done traveling early. If it's after 10 pm we will boondock don't want to disturb CG campers with late arrivals.

This weekend going to be at Cadorous SP, in Hanover PA. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465410983.022785.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	110523
Don't get this kind of space or frontage at regular campground. Kerr Lake Recreation Area, Henderson NC
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #20

We stay at SP, COE and in the Talladega National Forest. Currently at Windcreek SP and loving it. $174 for seven days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465411658291.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	110524  
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping