Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Uconnect question

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I'll toss it out. I purchased a new Ram 2500 two years ago and used the complimentary Uconnect for the first year and did not renew. I am thinking of renewing but would like to hear from anyone out there who subscribes to Uconnect and if it is worth it and what tools they use.
farmerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

I wouldn't. It takes too long for any commands to take hold, plus the price is just laughably high.

Unless - you live in a cold climate and would like to warm your truck before leaving work. Then, maybe, it could be justifiable.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #3

Paying for the Uconnect app. is to expensive and not worth the monthly fee.
Greg2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

I never re-upped either. They are even running a deal right now (or at least within the last week or two) where you get 3 months free, and half off their regular price for the remaining 9 months. But it is still not enough to entice me to come back.

As AndreTheGiant noted, commands take too long. Specifically for me, the remote start. It has taken easily up to 5 minutes at times for the command to reach the car. It averaged a minute or more. The same goes for the remote lock/unlock. Incredibly slow. In contrast, my Ford F-250 always starts or remotely locks/unlocks in less than 30 seconds. More often 15 seconds or less. But I don't think it ever took more than a half a minute.

On a positive note, I did like the "pass to maps" feature. This is where you could pass a route you planned on your phone (or other device), and then pass it to the UConnect maps for navigation. It worked really well.

But beyond that, there are just not enough apps, nor do they work well enough, to justify the cost. For me. I've been happy without it for the last 3 1/2 years, and unless it comes in at the cost of "Free", I'm not likely to subscribe again.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #5

I've got the "My GMC" app and I've used it a few times. Unlocked it once when keys were laying on seat and I locked door. I got 3 free years with mine, but I won't renew it as #1 the truck will go to my neighbor next week to replace his 2004 2500 Diesel Silverado and #2 it's was somewhat useful, but I couldn't see paying for it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #6

My truck was purchased in 2014 so maybe things have changed, but back then to get commands to go to the truck I had to turn off WiFi on my phone then I could remote start my Ram. In general cost of uConnect vrs what I gained was not worth it, have not purchased since 2015.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
My truck was purchased in 2014 so maybe things have changed, but back then to get commands to go to the truck I had to turn off WiFi on my phone then I could remote start my Ram. In general cost of uConnect vrs what I gained was not worth it, have not purchased since 2015.
Is the RAM program like XM radio in that it keeps going up in price constantly ??
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #8

Unanimous consensus is that it isn’t worth the $15/mo. I have been getting the 3 month promotions so thought someone would point out something terrific that I missed during the initial 12 mo trial. No one did so I’ll save the $15/mo.

Thanks all of you. Happy travels.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 AM   #9
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Is the RAM program like XM radio in that it keeps going up in price constantly ??

SiriusXM but yes, once they got ya hooked, be prepared for that incremental, take ya to the cleaners business model they live by.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:44 AM   #10
Just a member

Recently acquired a new tug for the TT, that is equipped with certain bells and whistles extolling the virtues of the UConnect/SiriusXM collaboration. After just a bit of research... nope, not gonna play. I recently dumped SiriusXM radio from some other vehicles due their BS billing routine.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 AM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjeff View Post
Unanimous consensus is that it isn’t worth the $15/mo. I have been getting the 3 month promotions so thought someone would point out something terrific that I missed during the initial 12 mo trial. No one did so I’ll save the $15/mo.

Thanks all of you. Happy travels.

farmerjeff, there's some sacrilege in your sig. Your diesel engine is a "Cummins," not a "Cummings."

Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
The cost for me back in 2014 was $140 for a year, I have no idea what it costs now but willing to bet it is more than that now.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
SiriusXM but yes, once they got ya hooked, be prepared for that incremental, take ya to the cleaners business model they live by.
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’ve got SiriusXM on my 3 personal vehicles. I would get the complimentary 3 month package for $5 bucks a month per car and the day before it expired I would cancel....

Then customer service would talk me into reupping for the same price. I told them up front what I do, and last time I called they offered me the promotion for 12 months on all the cars, which I took.

If we decide to activate on our newly purchased Sunseeker, I’ll go the same route....
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #14

I pay for the UConnect on my 2014 Ram 3500 because it gives me good, hands free, voice recognition. As far as I know, it hasn't changed much in price. I also used the "Assist' feature one time for an electrical problem. Turns out I needed to "reboot" the truck.

For the SiriusXM radio, I use the same technique as pkmkaz. I put a calendar reminder on my phone and call to renew at the best promotional rate. They also recently offered me a 12-month plan at the promotional rate. I only use the satellite on the tow vehicle, though. It has done a lot of cross-country miles in the past 4+ years (92K so far) and it is nice to have consistent music, talk, or sports when traveling.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #15

After dumping my XM in the truck, I use the "Google Play Music" and plug in my Android to the radio.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Always Learning

Having lived in Florida for the summer so far, the UConnect app to start the truck is wonderful. I'll start it before we head out of stores and whatnot.

Still not sure I'll pay for it.