Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #1

Unwelcome Sign

I hate to see this little blue sticker on a diesel pump. I would like to know exactly what percentage of biodiesel is in the fuel. According to the owner’s manual for my engine I should not use fuel that has more than 5% biodiesel. There have been a few times when I had no choice and so far no issues.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

so far I haven't seen them around sw Nebraska.
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Big brother needs to be monitoring Bio's better.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you say you cant use more than 5% . The sticker you posted clearly states between 5 and 20%. This is clear to me that the bare minimum at this pump is above 5%
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikier View Post
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you say you cant use more than 5% . The sticker you posted clearly states between 5 and 20%. This is clear to me that the bare minimum at this pump is above 5%
I think that is his point. The 2008-2010 ford 6.4l diesels can't have more than 5% bio in them. I'm in the same boat as the OP, we like to know the exact percentage so we don't kill our motor.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
DDC

I'm in the same boat here VW does not recommend any bio, and it also bothers me that it is not cheaper because they have topped off real diesel with free junk.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Broken Toe

I have made and run a few tanks of b100 (100% bio) in the Big Unit. Its not big deal. As far as the injectors know, its the same as dino-diesel.

What the issue is revolves around a) the almost total lack of sulfur, which can be offset with a suitable fuel additive, and b) Bio-diesel has a bit of a solvent-effect. If you have an older truck, that effect can dislodge the gunk in your fuel system and potentially clog your fuel filters.

BTW, bio isn't free and its not junk. A friend and I had a working appleseed reactor to make bio-diesel. Provided you wash and dry the resultant product properly, it is actually very high quality. As we could not secure a reliable source of feedstock (waste oil) for the reactor, we gave up on making Bio.

Also, living in Jefferson County MO (The meth production capital of the USA) a functioning Appleseed reactor in the garage with all the paraphernalia causes the neighbors to make anonymous phone calls and you get a nice visit from some very stern deputies.

At any rate, don't fret the B20. It's not like the ethonol in gasoline situation that was killing fuel systems. Just use a good fuel additive like Stanadyne Lubricity formula.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Should not be a problem. Back when I got my Cummins, I was told the factory limit was b20. These limits are given by the manufacturer because they have no control over the quality of home brewed bio. If yours is rated at 5% then that means it will work with 5% crappy bio without a problem. Bio made to strict gov standards would be fine in any percentage. It is also true that one should add additive with bio, and not a bad idea once in a while with dino fuel as the sulphur lubricates the pump parts, and the current fuel is really low on sulpher. Also bio will clean out the fuel system, so on higher mileage trucks the filter will need changing more often until it is cleaned out.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote