Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Upgrade windows

During the "snowmageddon" here on the east coast, I decided to use my RV in the driveway as an emergency shelter. So, when our family went out there last night (just to test it out), I noticed the windows have a draft. There is no obvious gap in the seals (this is a 2015 356QBQ 5th wheel unit) The glass is single pane.
So, I was wondering if there is a simple and cheap way that looks good that I could upgrade my windows for the future so the coach is better insulated?. I am sure most of the heat loss is coming from the windows. Any ideas?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

I have read where some folks have used the plastic sheets you can use a hair dryer on that tightens up, can not remember what they are called. we went with the dual pane on our Cedar Creek and very happy we did.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

We are going this weekend and temps have been in the upper twenties for the last two days. We have three electric heaters running with the main furnace coming once per hour. Our next unit will definitely have dual pane windows and upgraded insulation. These fivers don't hold heat well and feel drafty.
Our camping neighbor has a class A DP and isn't having any troubles with drafts and is only using his furnace.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

I wonder what the cost would be to install dual pane windows in a camper you have already brought

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #5

5K was what I was told

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I wonder what the cost would be to install dual pane windows in a camper you have already brought

I wondered the same thing. Our windows are a huge source of heat transfer. I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
5K was what I was told

Youch. Ok, maybe my next camper will have them...
Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

I thought some camper Windows have a vent hole stamped into the aluminum frame at the bottom to allow for ventilation. I know my 2014 Coachman has them. So tempting to put some black RTV over those slots to seal it up.
bheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

As far as the shrink wrap plastic I have sen this recommended on the RV windows as well to help seal things up, but you need a window that has a flange or whatever it is called to make the seal after the wrap is double sided taped to the wall. My windows are flush with the wall so it would not work.

I have also wondered the double pane windows but they seem to be another controversial topic of whether they actually make a difference compared to the junk insulation through out the rest of the trailer.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheston View Post
I thought some camper Windows have a vent hole stamped into the aluminum frame at the bottom to allow for ventilation. I know my 2014 Coachman has them. So tempting to put some black RTV over those slots to seal it up.
If you are talking about the holes at the bottom of the exterior of the frames, those are for drainage.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

We just got a Sunseeker 2290S and went camping in 10 degree lows. We nearly froze our butts off. The cold comes right through those single pane windows. I found this stuff on Amazon and cut it so it fits snug in the window opening and it really helps to keep the heat in.
mtnbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #11

Most of the time it doesn't matter to me but I would love to have double pane windows a couple times a year when camping early or late. However, I wonder what the weight penalty is for the double panes compared to single pane windows and whether the trade off is worth it when I don't really need them for MOST of the year.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
If you are talking about the holes at the bottom of the exterior of the frames, those are for drainage.
Correct! Do not plug these holes up! The water will find a way out, usually down the inside of your wall.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also available at HD and Lowes
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade