Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Use the Search

Welcome to all our new friends! This is meant to be purely constructive, however, over the last couple of weeks I have noted 3 or 4 inquiries regarding specific issues or questions (in this case surge and power protectors). There have been many more on different topics as well. These forums are definitely the place to find answers. We have a great group of people with experience, knowledge and expertise. That said, there had also been 2 or 3 very complete discussions on the exact subject(s) in the same time frame. Of course, as new information, equipment, etc. becomes available there is reason to revisit topics from time to time, but too many repetitive posts tends to water down the information and increases the difficulty of finding relevant data.

Search is your friend.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

I've noticed the search function is lacking. Too many results return when I do it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? For instance, if I search on "battery disconnect" I get all post with battery and all posts with disconnect. I've tried boolean search "battery +disconnect" but that doesn't return fewer results. Am I doing it wrong?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
I've noticed the search function is lacking. Too many results return when I do it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? For instance, if I search on "battery disconnect" I get all post with battery and all posts with disconnect. I've tried boolean search "battery +disconnect" but that doesn't return fewer results. Am I doing it wrong?
Try advanced search within the search function.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

I'm guilty of this, too. Sorry. ��

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Always Learning

Generally speaking, I disagree. Being a neophyte in a lot of things, I get overwhelmed when I use the search and cannot make heads or tails for how a previous thread pertains to me.

For me, it's more comforting to ask the question (even if it's been asked before) and get answers that are more specific to my situation.

Besides, almost everything has already been covered- if everyone used the search, there would be no need for a forum. FRF can be closed and we all get many hours of our lives back!
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Try advanced search within the search function.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
I looked at advanced search but don't see how this will return fewer relevant results. I can narrow to specific forum or user or date range, but no options to search boolean as far as I can tell.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Karrun is correct-there is no option for "Exact Phrase" or "All Words" as with other forum interfaces. Apologies for not catching this before making my post.

Took me a moment to find what seems to be the solution (this is buried in the Forum 101 info). Use the Google based search box in the green header bar instead of the drop down button. Boolean searches work there as well as better returns with all words included.

My main concern, which I witnessed on another (non RV) highly technical site, was the tendency for the most knowledgeable members to post great initial responses, but if the same question kept coming up there was a tendency for us to not respond. Even referring the question to a previous post is time consuming, so often the responses to the repeat questions were not answered and the inquirer often formed the opinion that the site members were not helpful, snobbish, etc.

ependydad brings up a good point; I enjoy surfing the forum and I see tons of posts with pitiful titles. It helps to be specific, e.g. posting "Converter" is nearly meaningless. "What brand of converter does Aliner install?" will probably get better responses.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Generally speaking, I disagree. Being a neophyte in a lot of things, I get overwhelmed when I use the search and cannot make heads or tails for how a previous thread pertains to me.

For me, it's more comforting to ask the question (even if it's been asked before) and get answers that are more specific to my situation.

Besides, almost everything has already been covered- if everyone used the search, there would be no need for a forum. FRF can be closed and we all get many hours of our lives back!
and.....all the weekly "discussions" about China Bombs, Weight limits and towing speeds are always good to keep the blood pressure up!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #9

Plus, if we don't want to read them, we can go on to something else.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

This is a topic in all forums I am part of. The problem with posts like these is only older forums members see it. New members that join next week wont read this and go on and ask the same questions that have been asked 100 times. I do not get upset, I either just skip over the post or I read it and answer it.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
This one is quite easy actually. Put whatever exact term you are looking for in quotes. For example... "Surge Protector"

That way only post/threads that have that exact phrase come back in results. I manage a digital database at work and can't tell you how many times I've had to share this info with coworkers.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Thanks for this. Maybe this verbiage can be added to the advanced search area so people know.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #13

I like it when somebody asks a question and about 5-6 posts down is the same question.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #14

Doesn't bother me, most people think they a unique problem and too people like talk, if I think I can help I chime in. A lot on new people going camping

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #15

I think if asking repeat questions bothers you, then maybe your spending too much time on this forum....lol
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #16
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Search is your friend.
Ya but then you'd circumvent all them new debates!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #17

Well, the idea of telling people to use search has been brought up a million times yet here we are checking out the replies.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #18

Turbs how do I get to advance search in search function on my iPhone
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

X2