Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
No more dangerous than a school bus.
As well as local transit buses and "Greyhounds".

Something for people to think about as they cruise down the highway at 10 mph or more over the speed limit with loved ones seated in the back of their MH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnan62 View Post
Rodman, thanks. people have been traveling this way for eons, but when I thought about the accident scenario, I got worried. I wondered if it was just me being a worrywart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I recall a comment by bclemens, there are rules and possibly even crash tests that have to occur with each seatbelt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I recall a comment by bclemens, there are rules and possibly even crash tests that have to occur with each seatbelt.
Yup, he said that when I was having difficulty getting my dealer to install a missing seat belt.

Dealer eventually installed belts and Dynamax included hardware that went under the floor to spread the load.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #23

Buses don't even have seat belts. The motor home is not the safest mode of transportation anyway, too many cabinets sticking out all over the place. I and most of my friends survived the 50,s, 60's and early 70,s without seat or shoulder belts, keep a safe distance and realize the inherent lack of safety features in the motor home. be careful. Shoulder belts are mostly there to keep your chest from running into the air bag coming the other way and crushing your chest.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Yup, he said that when I was having difficulty getting my dealer to install a missing seat belt.

Dealer eventually installed belts and Dynamax included hardware that went under the floor to spread the load.
Good to know. I read that there were no crash tests required for rear seats.
Donnan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowman View Post
Buses don't even have seat belts. The motor home is not the safest mode of transportation anyway, too many cabinets sticking out all over the place. I and most of my friends survived the 50,s, 60's and early 70,s without seat or shoulder belts, keep a safe distance and realize the inherent lack of safety features in the motor home. be careful. Shoulder belts are mostly there to keep your chest from running into the air bag coming the other way and crushing your chest.
Careful is my middle name. I’m the motorhome driver that everyone goes around, sometimes giving me a one-fingered salute. I typically hang out in the right lane with the big trucks...with plenty of cushion. That has worked well for me except for the one time the semi right in front of me died on one of the busiest freeways in southern California. Of course, I had plenty of time to stop, as did everyone behind me, but getting out into the next lane was a bear. That was on my maiden voyage!
Old 03-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #26

In case anyone else has the same question as I did, After everything I’ve read, the table is coming out. I am a careful driver, but stuff happens. I found this article which includes some of the information given in previous comments, but thought I’d share, it includes crash test videos: http://www.procarseatsafety.com/recreation-vehicles-rv.html

Happy, safe travels.
Donna
Old 03-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #27

If you really want to worry about things. Nothing is safe behind the drivers seat. If you are in the back of an RV you are sitting in a cardboard box without structural or rollover protection. Enjoy your drive.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Careful is my middle name. I’m the motorhome driver that everyone goes around, sometimes giving me a one-fingered salute. I typically hang out in the right lane with the big trucks...with plenty of cushion. That has worked well for me except for the one time the semi right in front of me died on one of the busiest freeways in southern California. Of course, I had plenty of time to stop, as did everyone behind me, but getting out into the next lane was a bear. That was on my maiden voyage!
Having spent a month in a hospital after an accident where I was in a bit of a hurry to get where I was going I've given up caring how quick I reach my destination. Getting there safe is more important than getting there fast.

BTW, that accident not only put me in the hospital at age 26, I needed another year to walk without crutches (and three surgeries). 49 years later I am still paying the price for that one moment of impatience. Oh yeah, the other driver was at fault but my impatience put me in the path of the accident.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Having spent a month in a hospital after an accident where I was in a bit of a hurry to get where I was going I've given up caring how quick I reach my destination. Getting there safe is more important than getting there fast.

BTW, that accident not only put me in the hospital at age 26, I needed another year to walk without crutches (and three surgeries). 49 years later I am still paying the price for that one moment of impatience. Oh yeah, the other driver was at fault but my impatience put me in the path of the accident.
Life lesson, right? The Journey is the destination. Sometimes, stuff just happens- I was at a red light once 30+ years ago, and was hit from behind by a guy going 55-60 mph...before we wore seatbelts. I should have died, but my neck still reminds me from time to time that I’m lucky to be here.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #30

I personally wouldn’t worry...just use the seatbelts. And the table.

We did just fine growing up in vehicles with no lap belts...not required on pre-1968 vehicles. Defensive driving to avoid an accident is much more important than devices to prevent injury in a collision,
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
I personally wouldn’t worry...just use the seatbelts. And the table.

We did just fine growing up in vehicles with no lap belts...not required on pre-1968 vehicles. Defensive driving to avoid an accident is much more important than devices to prevent injury in a collision,
I agree totally with you about the defensive driving, but speeds are higher and there are a lot more vehicles on the roads now, especially tractor trailers that are larger and weigh more than they did forty and fifty years ago. I was on the interstate last week traveling to St. Petersburg area and at 80 mph they were passing me left and right. I don’t stay at that speed, but I was trying to get out of a situation. It’s spring break and interstate traffic where I live is bumper to bumper.

I also know a gentleman whose first wife died when they were pulling an RV. They were involved in an accident just when she unbuckled her seat belt. She died in the accident.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #32

Funny how most people speed up to get out of a situation instead of slowing down. The most important space is between your front bumper and the vehicle in fronts rear bumper.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
JimMoore,
Thank you.
I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2350. The seatbelts look secure, but I will check for these components as well. When you say no table/tv near occupants head, your advice is to remove the table?
In an accident, the passengers in the dinette are restrained only at the waist. Their heads will impact whatever is in reach...such as the table.
The table should be removed and stored securely so it won't become a missile in the cabin.

It's a sacrifice, because it's a nice entertainment tool, but, unlike the back of the seat in front of a rear seat passenger in a "car" (truck or SUV as well), it is not designed to absorb impact and help restrain the occupant.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #34

Your RV is not designed to absorb an impact. Slow down drive defensively, stay off your cell phone, enjoy your vacation, enjoy life, don't worry, be happy.

Tags
safety, seating, travel