Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Using electric on fridge

We just bought a 2008 Cherokee 30L and on our walk through at the dealer ship the gentleman told us not to use electric on the fridge, just run it on LP. Something about burning something in two when on electric. He said it will last longer and be cooler on LP. Has anyone else heard of this.

Jujububbajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Campfire Master
Sometimes I wonder where they get some of these ideas. I almost never run mine on propane. I'm paying for the electric at the campground and I'm going to use it. I ran the last fridge on electric for 8 years and it worked fine when I sold it.

AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
I use both, but like AVid says, you're paying for an electric site, so use the electric! My fridge does seem to get a little bit colder on gas, however. I do use gas while traveling, then switch to electric upon arrival at the campgrounds that have it available. And NO, I've never heard of the electric side causing any problems! Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Team
Your fridge is made to run on AC and gas.
We use AC when we have it available.

There was a recall on Dometic refrigerators and you need to
get yours checked.
Is it new or used??
If it's new you can go to the dometic web site and see if you
are effected by the recall.
Almost all are.
It's a 30 minute job to do the modification at a dealer that
knows what they are doing and it's free.

If you go to the tech forum you'll find the dometic recall stuck
at the top of the list.

If my salesman told me I couldn't use my fridge on electric I'd
tell him I wanted a new one!!
That's pure BS.

Welcome to the forums!!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
we run ours on either or for extended periods.....driving, parked, etc
at home i run it on propane almost all the time, it does somehow make it work colder, i have a big 100 gallon tank at home so we plug in to it and run everything on lp to help reduce the power usage, i think the water heater is actually more efficient on gas than than the 120 volts
Living in the Piney Woods of Texas.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
we have 06 30f at a perminant campsite from day one in may of 06 and have had the fridge and waterheater on electric for evey day and nite of each camping season without any prob
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #7

I don't know about your fridge, but in the Dometic manual for mine, when I select auto mode, the fridge will run primarily on electric (120 VAC) if it is available, then propane. I think that says something for the reliability of the electric system (if yours falls outside the recall bulletin as mine does).
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
We run ours on electric when available, with a couple of important exceptions...

1.) When we first start up the fridge, it gets colder MUCH, MUCH faster on propane than it does on electric. In our experience, it shortens cool down time by 12+ hours.

2.) Air temperature outside. When it is very hot outside... (95-98 or more) we switch to Propane. It does a better job of keeping it cool. We need to invest in one of those Refigerator fans that helps aid in forcing the warm air to rise in the exhaust side of the fridge. When it is so hot outside that air warmed by the heat exchanger on the absorbtion fridge doesn't see enought of a temp gradiant, then it has a hard time rising and impedes efficiancy.

Nights camped in 2010 = 21 nights

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote