Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #21

What's he doing in the northbound lane?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
DDC

This is why I use a Hensley.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #23

Tim...:thu mbsup::thu mbsup:

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
CSI-RV is on the job!!

Did a helluva ground loop that is for sure, complete 180 from the direction he was going, tail wagged the heck out of that dog.
CSI For sure....I followed Tim's logic and looked at the dry advertised weight of this unit....with options and propane its close to 8K. He could be just under by a hair but I wouldn't pull it either. (Especially without the WD pins)
Nights Camped 2016: 32
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I have the V-Cross 275 and it is a fiver and that is one good reason that we got the fiver and not regular trailer. Very sorry to see that.

X2
Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Denver, CO

That is one tough camper, some of the other accidents I have seen left the trailer in a shreaded mess. The VCross looks to me like the structure held up pretty well to being tossed on its side and the a frame held up and ripped the receiver right out of the truck.

WOW
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #27
NELA

I saw this video early this morning. Made my stomach knot up. Just looking at the shape/underside of that TT it looked just like our V-Lite. (smh) And that TT looks brand new! Their underliner looks pristine clean. I feel so bad for that couple.

We had an F150 Eco Boost when we bought that V-Lite, and yeah, the salesman told us we could pull it just fine. He was right...that Eco Boost will pull its guts out, but (in DH's words) "it just didn't have enough ass" to pull that TT safely. To me (in my uneducated words) the truck just never seem "connected to the road". Yes, 'tail wagging the dog' is a perfect description. Pulling it? sure...pulling safely and comfortably? not so much and then there's shutting it down.

We uptraded to an F250 and the difference was amazing. The ride felt solid to me, like the truck and TT moved as one, and sat solid on the highway.

Those WD hitches require solid concentration to remember to do it all, and ours didn't have the WD pins like the one in the picture. Our arms had to be swiveled parallel with the bumper, slapped up into the hitch, then swung back perpendicular to the bumper. But there were cotter pins to remember at the saddle mechanism once the chains were hooked. Then there were the safety chains, the safety breakaway brake cable, etc., etc.

It got to the point that I was going over the steps, out loud, to DH for the first 1/2 mile out of the driveway, and that was after we'd both gone over the steps at least twice after hook-up and a visual check of all lights.

It appears this couple was lucky. No injuries evidently.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #28

I need to show this to my wife. She gets all upset with me when I tell her I can't pull 16,000 lb, plus, trailer with my 2500. The sales guy told I could and she always finds someone doing it to try to,shame me into it. I'm not giving in.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
I need to show this to my wife. She gets all upset with me when I tell her I can't pull 16,000 lb, plus, trailer with my 2500. The sales guy told I could and she always finds someone doing it to try to,shame me into it. I'm not giving in.

At the least, I'd use an empty 3500 Diesel Dually 6 speed.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
phat phrog stunt crew

Proof that the laws of physics cannot be rewritten nor defeated. Time to see just how good his insurance is.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #31

Must have been more side load than the hitch could hold. Sure would have thought it a least stayed together. Got 70 pounds of metal holding 8000 pounds of trailer on the truck. wow make me think !!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #32
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
Proof that the laws of physics cannot be rewritten nor defeated. Time to see just how good his insurance is.
It would be interesting to be able to follow up on whether the insurance comes through on this as there is probably a few outs for them on this but I have heard about GM hitches failing before.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
It would be interesting to be able to follow up on whether the insurance comes through on this as there is probably a few outs for them on this but I have heard about GM hitches failing before.
So you think that if someone screws up insurance is off the hook? Considering that, oh, probably 99% of all accidents are caused by someone either breaking a law or being negligent, that would make insurance worthless. Of course insurance is going to pay, just like always. That's the WHOLE POINT of insurance- to cover someone's screw-up. What bank in their right mind would loan money on a truck, trailer, or whatever and then require full coverage insurance to protect their investment if the insurance could deny coverage in pretty much all cases??? Funny how no one questions whether insurance will pay if you run a red light, or were speeding, or fell asleep at the wheel, or anything else negligent(nor brings up any possible civil suits in such cases), but by golly load 1 pound over GVWR and insurance won't pay and you'll face imminent financial obliteration by civil suit. Not to mention the fact that we don't even know if he was in fact overloaded.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #34
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So you think that if someone screws up insurance is off the hook? Considering that, oh, probably 99% of all accidents are caused by someone either breaking a law or being negligent, that would make insurance worthless. Of course insurance is going to pay, just like always. That's the WHOLE POINT of insurance- to cover someone's screw-up. What bank in their right mind would loan money on a truck, trailer, or whatever and then require full coverage insurance to protect their investment if the insurance could deny coverage in pretty much all cases??? Funny how no one questions whether insurance will pay if you run a red light, or were speeding, or fell asleep at the wheel, or anything else negligent(nor brings up any possible civil suits in such cases), but by golly load 1 pound over GVWR and insurance won't pay and you'll face imminent financial obliteration by civil suit. Not to mention the fact that we don't even know if he was in fact overloaded.
The first thing an insurance adjuster looks for is a way out and they generally try it most of the time, it does not work but they keep trying sit and read that policy it's not full of legal jargon for your benefit, and that bank you mentioned will still get its money back if not from insurance then from the borrower, it's all covered in the paperwork we are all eager to sign at the time we want it.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Danny beat me to it.

Have a look at the truck there is no 1500 or 2500 emblem on the truck. Yes, sticker says it can pull 7500lbs (or what ever) but can the truck handle the weight or the sideways pull of wind or passing other vehicles..? How many people in the truck..? Full of fuel..?

The problem was not the trailer or the hitch. It was the T.V..
Regardless of the pins missing, it's the trucks fault? Sounds logical. Damned truck should know better than to even start it's motor without the pins.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #36
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I have the V-Cross 275 and it is a fiver and that is one good reason that we got the fiver and not regular trailer. Very sorry to see that.
Ya! When you get that big, I would think a fiver a must. 35'TT is a perfect candidate for a seasonal/permanent spot.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Ya! When you get that big, I would think a fiver a must. 35'TT is a perfect candidate for a seasonal/permanent spot.
I agree, but you need to get it there in one piece first.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
The first thing an insurance adjuster looks for is a way out and they generally try it most of the time, it does not work but they keep trying sit and read that policy it's not full of legal jargon for your benefit, and that bank you mentioned will still get its money back if not from insurance then from the borrower, it's all covered in the paperwork we are all eager to sign at the time we want it.
I've never wrecked a vehicle, knock on wood, but I know LOTS of people that have. Insurance has always paid without causing a fuss. They might get dropped, but the insurance still pays. All of these instances I speak of involve someone breaking a law- some for serious infractions such as DWI. One instance actually involved a civil lawsuit and the wreck was caused by excessive speed (over 100mph on a Farm to Market road). Insurance even handled the litigation.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I've never wrecked a vehicle, knock on wood, but I know LOTS of people that have. Insurance has always paid without causing a fuss. They might get dropped, but the insurance still pays. All of these instances I speak of involve someone breaking a law- some for serious infractions such as DWI. One instance actually involved a civil lawsuit and the wreck was caused by excessive speed (over 100mph on a Farm to Market road). Insurance even handled the litigation.
dustman, that may be the case in your area but don't assume that will be the case in every jurisdiction and with every policy. Insurance companies deny claims all the time.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Huh, There are a LOT of (40foot tri axle 5th wheels) on the seasonal also. I think they also use them as (Travel Units)! Youroo!!
Closed Thread

Tags
v-cross