Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Inveterate Tinkerer

Vacuum Cleaners...down and dirty?

OK, OK, we want to get the dirt up. Spouse told me to get online and find out some info, and since I always do what she tells me, that's what I'm doin'.
Does anyone use the new "stick-type" vacuum (110 volt or rechargeables), and what is your experience good or bad with them? We cannot decide if either would be a good choice. We like the compact size, but Worry about the rechargeable weight and power.
Any comments pro or con would be appreciated.
Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
Sir Guinness-(Manchester Terrier)
2012 Windjammer 3065W
Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
ProPride 3P
Iluv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

OK, went out and checked. We use the Dirt Devil Accu-Charge and are very happy with the weight/suction compromise. The beater brush is worth the extra few dollars.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #3

We installed the Dirt Devil central vac. It has lots of suction and takes up very little space. We installed ours under the dinette seat. The hose expands and will reach every part to the TT. The DW finds it has more power then the central vacuum we had in our home.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Ours came with the Dirt Devil and it does a reasonable job. Every now and then I bring the Hoover from home. Makes me feel better. I do not know if it does any better.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Anacortesians

We looked at Consumer Reports before we bought a new upright to replace an elderly Royal in our S&B house. Based on its light weight, best buy rating from CR and the fact that it's US made, be bought a Riccar. We just love it. It only weighs 8 lb. and has twice (my estimate) of the sucking power the old 28-pound Royal had and that's comparing the Riccar with HEPA bags to the Royal with standard bags.

With two Labs, pet hair is a major issue, but the Riccar handles it very well. The bags fill up quickly, but they're not expensive. We haven't started taking it in the RV yet. We use a Dirt Devil canister on trips, with a turbo brush head. We go through with the Riccar when we get home from a trip.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Central Vac

When we were specifying add-ons for our Windjammer 3002W at time of purchase, the dealer tech talked us out of the Dirt Devil in favor of this Intervac Design Corp - Central Vac available from Camping World.

At first we were skeptical since we'd never heard of the brand but did a little research and decided to go with it. The dealer installation looks really sharp with the electrical connection hidden. It came with a set of tools (including an air driven power brush) and a long collapsable hose. It works great and very handy since we camp most frequently at state and federal parks with sand or gravel sites.

If there is interest, I can take some pics of the installation.
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

We also bought the intervac central vac. Bought it new on Craigs list for under $100.00 with all the toys. Mounted it on he side panel below the mattress overhang in our 2009 Georgetown 374. We have found it to be the best unit we have owned so far IMO.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

We just purchased an inexpensive stick type vacuum - ~$20. You need to plug it in to 110v but it's nice not having to worry about batteries/charging. (it's also more powerful) It's the Bissell Featherweight Lightweight Vacuum (we purchased from Kohl's). Liked it so much bought one for the house. But it's not great if you have a lot of carpeting.. It'll clean carpet "ok" and does great job on bare floors.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
We just purchased an inexpensive stick type vacuum - ~$20. You need to plug it in to 110v but it's nice not having to worry about batteries/charging. (it's also more powerful) It's the Bissell Featherweight Lightweight Vacuum (we purchased from Kohl's). Liked it so much bought one for the house. But it's not great if you have a lot of carpeting.. It'll clean carpet "ok" and does great job on bare floors.
with 50 years in the floor care industry i will tell you thats a good choice for the job at hand. claims of filtration and airflow etc all make for great copy but are way over rated, we use a similar eureka product along with a 25 dollar one gallon shop vac from wally world give me as much versatility and "suck" power i need
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #10

I just bought a hand held rechargable which doesn't have as much suction as I'd like but is OK. I also have a "honey I shrunk the shop vac" one gallon shop vac which is really quite good and can be used to clean carpet - use a trigger bottle full of warm water, a bit of liquid tide to work out the spots and then rinse with the trigger bottle and the shop vac. Because of the small nozzle you can actually get around the gas /brake pedal etc.

I was thinking a stick vac would be too cumbersome (not so much weight as size).
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
Inveterate Tinkerer

Vacs

Well, our thinking was a rechargeable stick vac would be handy when boondocking, but not sure about the power issue. The 1 gal shop vac is a good idea, had'nt thought about that. If there was some way to try a demo of a number of vacs, it would be easy to decide I bet.
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
2012 Windjammer 3065W
ProPride 3P
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
I just bought a hand held rechargable which doesn't have as much suction as I'd like but is OK. I also have a "honey I shrunk the shop vac" one gallon shop vac which is really quite good and can be used to clean carpet - use a trigger bottle full of warm water, a bit of liquid tide to work out the spots and then rinse with the trigger bottle and the shop vac. Because of the small nozzle you can actually get around the gas /brake pedal etc.

I was thinking a stick vac would be too cumbersome (not so much weight as size).
looking at your signature you need to get out more
we have about 14 weeks so far this year
happy trails
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Inveterate Tinkerer

HA Ha...you must mean the camping map? That is over many years, of course. Some of it was with backpacks and itty-bitty tents, but I figgered that counted, too.
We cant go right now...new Windjammer is taking way too long to build!!!

Retiring and going full time soon!!!

14 weeks...you are no slouch yourself!

Randy and Cheryl
2012 Windjammer 3065W
ProPride 3P
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
looking at your signature you need to get out more
we have about 14 weeks so far this year
happy trails
brianj
Brian you are absolutely RIGHT!
We have little ones - and birthday parties in elementary school are a big deal. It seems like there is an even every single weekend between the three children. So now that the snow has melted (what was that 3 weeks ago?) and school will be out in another 10 days we'll hit the road!

Susan
The trip we did take... we found out the Georgetown will handle a fair bit of snow - slushy wet stuff at that.

Randy & Cheryl: You mean you aren't supposed to start a new camping map each year? I was feeling guilty for still having last year's up.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote