Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Geez, people seem tense here lately. Lighten up everyone! Camping is good, proper campfires are good. Everything's good.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Geez, people seem tense here lately. Lighten up everyone! Camping is good, proper campfires are good. Everything's good.
Lighten up. That's a good idea. I don't want to have to issue out any worthless tickets.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #23

Oh lord, don't tell me they've given you the ticket book too.... You and Nina are a formidable force. Of course, we can probably outrun you for the next little while but Nina is not so easy!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #24

It's a "virtual" ticket book and yep, right now you could easily outrun me.

I did buy a new pair of boots today in anticipation of only 11 more days of this blasted walking boot thing. I don't think I'll be running for awhile though.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
I Know Richard personally Paul, and I assure you he wasn't inferring he didn't want any of those things. He just wants people who enjoy those kinds of things to enjoy them, but to be considerate of others. Kids having fun and running around is a whole lot different than out of control kids with absentee parents not monitoring what their kids are doing. I know Richard doesn't need any of those resorts, he has dogs, he loves my kids, and we hang out at the camp fire together. We just do it so as not to impose on someone elses good time.

I agree, but I have no control over my smoke from a campfire or my cook fire. And the way I read it it was imposing on his "rights". I also agree about the kids and dogs, both must be controlled, as I did mine.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #26

... but we all should remember, burning the kids and dogs in the campfire is strongly frowned upon.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #27

Quote:
... but we all should remember, burning the kids and dogs in the campfire is strongly frowned upon.
Too late LOL!

There's something about having to explain a joke that just makes it sad.... They just didn't get it!

Now I'm going off to search all of your other posts to find the Easter Eggs (hidden humor as the gamers call it)!

Karen
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #28

oh I'm otherwise pretty humourless Karen. One brief warped little sentence and that's it.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #29

but he is warped........

them dang cold winters up there will do it to ya
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #30

Well the cold winters do warp things a bit, but its really all the late-night northern lights work, which is basically us Canadians shining flashlights in the sky just to mess with tourists..

Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
but he is warped........

them dang cold winters up there will do it to ya
...I'll say!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #32

Dang it! I KNEW there was a perfectly logical explanation for the aurora! And they tried to tell us it was a natural phenomenon!
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #33

You would not BELIEVE how much friggin money we get from it! Sweet deal really.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Well the cold winters do warp things a bit, but its really all the late-night northern lights work, which is basically us Canadians shining flashlights in the sky just to mess with tourists..
Out in West Texas in the small town of Marfa they do something similar. "The Marfa Lights".

Quote:
You would not BELIEVE how much friggin money we get from it! Sweet deal really.
Don’t think they make much money at it though. Maybe enough to buy a six pack every now and then.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #35
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Camping has always been about being out and having fires to cook on and to enjoy. So, as with tv, movies, etc., if you don't like you can make a choice to not go camping where this type of activity may exist. I agree with barking dogs and loud noises, but kids will be kids, I was one and I had one, all a part of growing up.

I think you need one of those RV Resorts that ban or bar, fires, kids, dogs and loud music!!

JMHO.........

Paul B
Paul,

I do believe you may have missed my point. I seldom find anything objectionable about a neighbor’s campfire, dogs, children, etc. To me, camping is all about having a quality family or group experience and I sincerely hope that all parties, including my own, have a wonderful time. To paraphrase what I said in the first sentence of my original comment, common sense and courtesy need to be part of the camping experience. Moreover, I believe that people are capable of recognizing when situations or behaviors under their control are negatively affecting those around them. (Common Sense) In such cases, my expectation is that they will take action to correct the problem, and not just ignore it. (Courtesy)

With respect to fires, I realize that all wood fires generate smoke, even mine. I have no problem with that. However, more than normally smoky fires happen, mostly because of wind conditions, wet or green wood, inappropriate fuel, unskilled fire making, etc, etc. Please note that I defined the fire I was talking about in my original comments, as “a fire, which causes me to have to retreat inside from under my awning and close all the windows.” It is toward those fires, and the people in control of them, that I was directing my comments. People do have control over obtaining an adequate supply of kindling and dry, seasoned wood before starting a fire. Such fires burn with comparatively little smoke. Instant fires, in the form of commercial fire logs are available for the unskilled or those who desire only a quick “mood” fire. Conversely, fires can also be extinguished when things are not going right.

I found your comment that you “have no control over my smoke from a campfire or my cook fire” rather amusing. Of course you don’t! But I trust you don’t use that line of reasoning as a justification to give yourself permission to gas your neighbors, at least once you have observed that you are creating a problem. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people do. BTW – I’m rather impressed with the implication that you cook on a cookfire. A number of our members are interested in Dutch oven cookery, though I have the impression they mostly use briquettes. I’m sure I can speak for many of us in saying that we would be great if you were to post some pictures on the theme. For how many people do you cook? It would be neat to see how you set up your fire and what kind of equipment you use.

No, Paul, I don’t “need one of those RV Resorts that ban or bar, fires, kids, dogs and loud music!!” Nor should I have to seek one out. What I do need are fellow campers who realize that they are in a public place and choose to exhibit some modicum of common sense and manners. So to those to whom it needs to be said, I say again, keep your "stuff" on your own lot - not on mine! The wind could reverse direction tomorrow.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #36
RAC

Very well said. I am just not quite as eloquent.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
The wind could reverse direction tomorrow.
And it's always blowing the smoke from my fire right in my eyes no matter where I sit!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #38
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
And it's always blowing the smoke from my fire right in my eyes no matter where I sit!
Same thing with my fires and those of the miscreants I've been talking about. They, on the other hand, can always be found standing or sitting upwind of their own fires.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #39
RAC

I do it to you intentionally Richard
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Paul,

I do believe you may have missed my point. I seldom find anything objectionable about a neighbor’s campfire, dogs, children, etc. To me, camping is all about having a quality family or group experience and I sincerely hope that all parties, including my own, have a wonderful time. To paraphrase what I said in the first sentence of my original comment, common sense and courtesy need to be part of the camping experience. Moreover, I believe that people are capable of recognizing when situations or behaviors under their control are negatively affecting those around them. (Common Sense) In such cases, my expectation is that they will take action to correct the problem, and not just ignore it. (Courtesy)

With respect to fires, I realize that all wood fires generate smoke, even mine. I have no problem with that. However, more than normally smoky fires happen, mostly because of wind conditions, wet or green wood, inappropriate fuel, unskilled fire making, etc, etc. Please note that I defined the fire I was talking about in my original comments, as “a fire, which causes me to have to retreat inside from under my awning and close all the windows.” It is toward those fires, and the people in control of them, that I was directing my comments. People do have control over obtaining an adequate supply of kindling and dry, seasoned wood before starting a fire. Such fires burn with comparatively little smoke. Instant fires, in the form of commercial fire logs are available for the unskilled or those who desire only a quick “mood” fire. Conversely, fires can also be extinguished when things are not going right.

I found your comment that you “have no control over my smoke from a campfire or my cook fire” rather amusing. Of course you don’t! But I trust you don’t use that line of reasoning as a justification to give yourself permission to gas your neighbors, at least once you have observed that you are creating a problem. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people do. BTW – I’m rather impressed with the implication that you cook on a cookfire. A number of our members are interested in Dutch oven cookery, though I have the impression they mostly use briquettes. I’m sure I can speak for many of us in saying that we would be great if you were to post some pictures on the theme. For how many people do you cook? It would be neat to see how you set up your fire and what kind of equipment you use.

No, Paul, I don’t “need one of those RV Resorts that ban or bar, fires, kids, dogs and loud music!!” Nor should I have to seek one out. What I do need are fellow campers who realize that they are in a public place and choose to exhibit some modicum of common sense and manners. So to those to whom it needs to be said, I say again, keep your "stuff" on your own lot - not on mine! The wind could reverse direction tomorrow.

At the hunt camp I go to 2 times a year we use the coals from the wood we burn to cook just about whatever someone brings. Mostly hot dogs and burgers. Although we have had steak, venison, pig....well you get the idea. This past weekend the one couple that were in our group cooked us a meal with the iron dutch ovens using charcoal. Even made desert and cornbread! This wasn't at the hunt camp but a local place here in central Fla. The hunt camp is up in Jacksonville, Ga. out in the sticks where all the rednecks are. They are a bunch of nice folks once you get to know them and they you. Great family values and church goers, and great hunters.

Sorry no pics of either venue of cooking, although I do take many pics I just haven't any of our cooking. If I remember I will take some the next time we partake of either style, i.e. open fire or dutch oven.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote