Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

vents and a/c covers

Hi all, wondering if anyone has used or reccomends vent or a/c covers for winter and if so what brand do you use?
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

MaxAir vent covers should be on a RV all the Time! A/C covers are standard. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

If I had to store mine out in the weather, I'd be looking seriously, at some sort of cover for the whole roof. I couple of long poles(broom handles? one on each side of the trailer to walk it over), to ease it into place. Some bungees to fasten it down?? Anything like that. The roof, is tougher to change, then weather worn vent covers. Just my $.02. Do a search for camper and RV covers here on the forums. I'll bet there's a bunch of good info here.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #4

Hi all,
I live in Vermont where we have winter for 6 months! Covering your Camper is frowned on here as we get lots of ice and snow, so unless your cover is absolutely water tight it can damage the roof as ice can form between the cover and the roof. I have heard of folks tearing up their roof on the camper trying to get the cover off too soon in the spring. We put an a/c cover on and have had vent covers installed to help keep snow out. Also we load up the inside with Bounce dryer sheets to keep the mice out. Sounds crazy but it works!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Boo-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

How does ice form between the roof and cover but not on the cover itself?
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #6

I'm guessing it probably sits on both sides of the cover, I would think a cover would be more beneficial from UV rays and sun damage in hot climates than protecting from snow which is going to sit on the roof anyway whether there is a cover there or not

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

Condensation forms between the cover and the roof then freezes the cover to the roof. I thought about getting one but the wind here would shred it. I put an AC cover on and the covers over the vents and make sure and clean the roof and seal it to protect from uv. Any of the covers for the vent will work look at them all and see what works best for you got mine at Walmart for $20 for the vents the one for the bathroom vent got at the dealer $80 about the same on Amazon.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

Ok so a/c cover goes over with elastic? Are the other vent covers attached differently and are the other covers a big concern because they have crank down covers already that is fine for sitting at the dealer over the winter just wondering the direction I should go

Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Some of the crank down covers are rather flimsy and by adding the cover over the crank down you have other advantages. You can open the vents even if it is raining, if you have to clean the roof of snow you can tell where the vents are so you don't damage them when you clean snow off.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Got it, thanks a lot for your help !

Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
I owe it all to bacon.

We have seasonal site and 1/2 of our members cover their AC units in the winter. We don't. Mainly because I don't like getting on the roof.
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

I contacted the company that makes the A/C units and asked them if they recommend covering the units and this is what they said:
Covering the unit would actually do more harm than good. A cover would trap in moisture that will adhere to your electrical contacts, causing them to corrode. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you not cover the AC with a winter cover.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOREASTRV View Post
I contacted the company that makes the A/C units and asked them if they recommend covering the units and this is what they said:
Covering the unit would actually do more harm than good. A cover would trap in moisture that will adhere to your electrical contacts, causing them to corrode. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you not cover the AC with a winter cover.

Now that's make sense being that moisture trapped has nowhere to go but to condensate. Just my opinion but I wouldn't do it. And never have....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
No covers here, any type. I don't even have roof vent covers. Just on the Maxair.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
2011 Forest River Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
MaxAir vent covers should be on a RV all the Time! A/C covers are standard. Youroo!!
X2......MaxAir vent covers.
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #16

A month ago I needed a new cover for the bathroom vent and went with the Camping World vent cover on sale for $22 vs. MaxAir at $28. The CW vents are a 1/2" higher and I like the side vents on them also. I tried the first year I had my rig to cover the AC and it kept blowing off. Stopped after that. If there would be a problem with RV's being stored outdoors in the winter, there would be a whole lot of problems at all the dealers that their lots are packed with all shapes, sizes and price ranges all uncovered. That's what made me realize they don't need to be covered.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
A month ago I needed a new cover for the bathroom vent and went with the Camping World vent cover on sale for $22 vs. MaxAir at $28. The CW vents are a 1/2" higher and I like the side vents on them also. I tried the first year I had my rig to cover the AC and it kept blowing off. Stopped after that. If there would be a problem with RV's being stored outdoors in the winter, there would be a whole lot of problems at all the dealers that their lots are packed with all shapes, sizes and price ranges all uncovered. That's what made me realize they don't need to be covered.
The answer is no nothing will happen, without covers....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent