Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Versatube RV storage building

Thought for sure I'd find some threads on this, but I didn't.

We have the inevitable "barn too small for our new travel trailer" problem. 30 x 40 barn with 3 overhead garage doors on the 40' side. No realistic alternatives to getting our new 32' long 10'10" tall TT into that structure, which we knew when we bought it.

Now, how to solve the problem?? I'm a big believer in indoor storage if you can possibly find a way to do it. Also a big believer in finding safe, reliable, cost-effective ways to accomplish tasks.

After significant research, I can get an all-metal Verastube structure large enough for this TT and frankly large enough for just about any 5th wheel out there for around $5,500. Dimensions will be 14' wide (12' opening) x 41.5' deep. Exterior wall height at the eaves will be 12.5' with plenty of middle clearance where the roof peaks to get up to the "max" 13'6". I plan to install myself on leveled gravel with appropriate concrete anchor points per the mfg instruction. I am hoping to concrete the entire floor at a future time, but that's another large expense.

WIth that said, does anyone have good/bad/indifferent experience with Versatube structures? I live in central Indiana, so snow load is a concern as is wind (both the straight kind and the spin around kind!), but they seem to sell a lot of these in this area and in areas with worse snow/wind problems. My issue - other than one guy in Minnesota who had his collapse after what appears to be incorrect installation, I can't find any bad reviews on these which is why I'm inquiring here.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,
Brian
PS: By comparison, parts alone for a very basic pole barn structure would be around $8,000 and is something I'd have to hire out to have built. With labor, that option would be at least $18,000 - way out of my budget range after dropping some serious coin (to me at lesat) on new TV and TT this summer.

PPS: I know this is in the towing forum and this is sort of the opposite of towing, but wasn't sure where else to put it.

ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #2

Don't know anything about the Versatube.

Do you have access to 1 of the 30-ft sides of existing barn?
How much would it cost to properly add a 4th door on the 30-ft side (with all necessary reinforcing)?

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Great question - we did investigate that and it would be barely less than building a whole new stand-alone pole barn structure (around $14k for the add-on vs $18k for the separate structure). Less material because you're only building 3 sides, but a lot more labor to blend the two buildings together.
ProPride Hitch
Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Great question - we did investigate that and it would be barely less than building a whole new stand-alone pole barn structure (around $14k for the add-on vs $18k for the separate structure). Less material because you're only building 3 sides, but a lot more labor to blend the two buildings together.
$14k? To cut a hole in a wall and install a door?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

I have had a versatube enclosuser for about 5 years now, It is in the Northern part of Michigan Carry,s the wind and snow loads with no problems. Put it up our selves, but i would not do another one, I would hire someone to do the next one.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
$14k? To cut a hole in a wall and install a door?
Sorry - no - misread the reply. I thought you meant to add a 4th bay - that was the $14k option we had already explored.

Doing what thebrakeman suggested (driving into the building from the 30 foot gable end) creates several new problems, primary one being it would displace my enclosed/insulated/wired woodworking shop that resides in Bay 1 of the 3-bay garage. Secondarily, the entire building would then basically become RV storage as the RV would be right in the middle of it and make much of the remaining space somewhat challenging to use. That last problem is probably more of a personal preference thing as I know there would still be some space to store stuff, but it'd definitely change how I have to use the building in a dramatic way.
ProPride Hitch
Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
I have had a versatube enclosuser for about 5 years now, It is in the Northern part of Michigan Carry,s the wind and snow loads with no problems. Put it up our selves, but i would not do another one, I would hire someone to do the next one.
Thanks - good info. If you don't mind sharing, what size was yours, what base did you put it on, and what specifically would make you not want to do it yourself again?

Brian
ProPride Hitch
Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry - no - misread the reply. I thought you meant to add a 4th bay - that was the $14k option we had already explored.

Doing what thebrakeman suggested (driving into the building from the 30 foot gable end) creates several new problems, primary one being it would displace my enclosed/insulated/wired woodworking shop that resides in Bay 1 of the 3-bay garage. Secondarily, the entire building would then basically become RV storage as the RV would be right in the middle of it and make much of the remaining space somewhat challenging to use. That last problem is probably more of a personal preference thing as I know there would still be some space to store stuff, but it'd definitely change how I have to use the building in a dramatic way.
Ah, ok, makes sense. So, what about just extending one of the bays? Make say, Bay 3 longer by pushing the wall out about 5-10'? I don't know what you've got now, but in my mind's eye this should be doable.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
PPS: I know this is in the towing forum and this is sort of the opposite of towing, but wasn't sure where else to put it.
This thread would probably be better in the General Discussion forum......where it resides now.

Versatubes is an interesting concept.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ah, ok, makes sense. So, what about just extending one of the bays? Make say, Bay 3 longer by pushing the wall out about 5-10'? I don't know what you've got now, but in my mind's eye this should be doable.
I'm glad you all are thinking of the same options we did. We had that quoted out too. It would involve removing one of the overhead doors and replacing with a slider to gain clearance (current overhead doors are 10' tall with more like 9'8" clearance). That would get us up to 11'1" clearance - not much wiggle room for our current 10'10" TT, plus kind of messes up the aesthetic of the building. To get the length, we could do a relatively easy 5' bump out in the rear. All told, this was $5,500, barely met needs for this TT, and wouldn't accommodate the next unit once 2 foot-itis kicks in again. So, again, that left us looking for other options. Basically for the same $$, we get to add net new storage space that is much more future-proof.

ProPride Hitch

Tags
storage