Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Site Team

Veteran's Day & Camping with Dad

Took off camping for 3 nights over the 4 day weekend at a local campground. It was also the two year anniversary of my maiden voyage, same campground but one site over.

Arranged for family to come out and visit with dad. Some stayed and camped while others headed home. Poor dad - his short term memory isn't always the greatest. He had a stroke two years ago and have been pretty much house bounded (some by choice). He was ready to go home after dinner forgetting that he was spending two nights in a cabin since he can't climb stairs.

It was really really really freezing cold (OK, SoCal cold & freezing) the first night. I woke up cold at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep so I went over to check on dad. The windshief was iced up. Dad was really cold and couldn't get warm enough even through the cabin was 70*. He usually keeps the house at 82-84*, hotter during summer. The heater wouldn't come on so I gave him my little heater. When I woke up the second time it was 47* in my trailer.

At 8am I found someone with a car that could pick up dad to bring him home. He was much more comfortable at home. Because I'm the main caregiver I was traveling back & forth between the cg and home on this trip. The only meal I had in my trailer was cold cereal this morning.

Even through this trip didn't go completely as planned it was nice visiting with family. I have cat(s) so its hard for my cousins to visit at the house. The family dinner was well worth it! Dad really enjoyed himself.

I have stayed here several times and even with cable I hadn't had much luck with getting many channels. This time was different. I had pleased with the clear picture & number of channels.

This Saturday I head out for 4 nights of R&R at the beach. I decided the desert is not the place for me right now until it starts to warm up. Calico Ghost Town will need to wait....(again).

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 20121109_211320.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	21543

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Here's more pictures

Name:	20121112_105242.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	21544

Name:	20121112_105904.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	21545

Name:	20121112_105652.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	21546

Name:	20121112_105739.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	21547

Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

Terier, Thanks for the story and the pic's. You sound like quite a guy. I hope your R&R at beach works out better weather wise for you, I use to live in Calif. For 25 years. It is amazing how cold the desert can get.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

Guy? Youroo!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Sorry Terier, no insult intended. The message was still inspiring to me. I wish you happy travels.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Hi Terier, What a great write up! I follow your threads a lot. We are also So Cal Campers. What campground is that? Looks beautiful! We just got a new 2013 Roo 23SS last summer. We have 2 DS 8 & 12. We're lovin the Roo! Long time tent campers-no more! This is THE BEST FORUM hands down! I've learned so much and still learning. Modding the Roo is my new lifetime hobby. We're going to Carpinteria in December and for New Years. Tuff Camping Ha Ha. Just have to take a crash course how to post photos on here(reduce pixels and all that).
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The campground is Cottonwood at Rancho Jurupa in Riverside Country. There are two campgrounds there and Cottonwood is the new one.

Being thought of as one of the guys usually doesn't brother me unless the intent of the message ruffles my feathers. In that case "Sir" or "Dude" has a different reaction. Needless to say I had a bit of fun with some of my forum pals here before they knew to start thinking *pink*.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornav View Post
Hi Terier, What a great write up! I follow your threads a lot. We are also So Cal Campers. What campground is that? Looks beautiful! We just got a new 2013 Roo 23SS last summer. We have 2 DS 8 & 12. We're lovin the Roo! Long time tent campers-no more! This is THE BEST FORUM hands down! I've learned so much and still learning. Modding the Roo is my new lifetime hobby. We're going to Carpinteria in December and for New Years. Tuff Camping Ha Ha. Just have to take a crash course how to post photos on here(reduce pixels and all that).
I ran a bit late on my lunch break and didn't get to reply to everything I wanted to.

Let me know how you like Carpinteria. I like that it's on the beach and have hook ups available. I haven't stay there yet because backing into snug areas is still a work in progress. I did dry camp at El Capitan SB and liked it a lot so it on the list for summer again.

Forums 101 is full of directions and tips. See posts 7 & 10 for adding photos. If this doesn't work let me know and I will post my directions. I can't be of much help with resizing photos. I use my smartphone camera and then email so I can save it to my computer. I just been lucky that my pics are not too large.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Site Team

It's interesting how the forecast is turning out - so different from earlier in the week.

Sat:
Calico 74/47
Beach 65/55

Sun:
Calico 71/47
Beach 62/59

Mon:
Calico 68/50
Beach 62/56

Tue:
Calico 64/54
Beach 69/64