Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
It's my understanding that GMRS units require a license at $80/year.
The GMRS License is only if you use the GMRS channels or FRS channels at "Full Power" (8 watts). In an emergency, those channels would be available to you to reach help even without a license. (ONLY in an emergency, though).

"If you operate a radio that has been approved for both FRS and GMRS, and if you limit your operations to the FRS channels with a maximum power of Ĺ watt effective radiated power and an integral antenna, you are not required to have a license. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"

The license is 80 dollars for FIVE years. It can be used by EVERYONE in your family, even aunts and uncles; nieces and nephews. Just assign a Alpha letter to their radio. There is no test. You can program GMRS channels to reject all other traffic except for your other radio(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera..._Radio_Service

To use it you "open the net" with your call sign, use the radio as needed for as long as you need (retransmit your call sign every 15 minutes if needed), and close it with your call sign when finished.

NOTE: There are 4 GMRS channels you can't use close to the Canadian border (in the US) due to interference with Canadian assigned frequencies so you need to be aware if you camp up there.

All in all a great deal.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-...o-service-gmrs

FYI - There is a rule change pending since 2010 that will remove the licensing requirement from GMRS systems. The proliferation of cheap Dual Band radios has resulted in "bubble pack Pirates" who use the radios without bothering to get licensed. Similar to the removal of the CB license requirement due to the number of folks who broke the law, this is only a matter of time as well.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Site Team

We have had both Motorola and cobra walker talkies. Both have served well. As stated above Walmart, Amazon, best buy are all places to find some in your price range. I prefer them to the phone because you don't have good cell phone reception everywhere and it seems to work better for us. There is no interpretation of hand signals, DH can disappear frim site to check something and still talk to me. He can say tree 3 Feet back drivers side or whatever. Drivers side and passenger side cues work far better than right/left cues as it eliminates confusion.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #13

We just use a few simple hand signals. That seems to work fine. We take our walks/hikes together, so I guess we don't have a need for them.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
It's my understanding that GMRS units require a license at $80/year.
Currently the license fee is $80 for 5 years, I know because i just renewed my recently. Things I have read lean towards the fee being eliminated but I will wait to see on that.

We have a set of GMRS radios and use them for much more that the RV. I have headsets for those times I cannot key the mike manually.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Currently the license fee is $80 for 5 years, I know because i just renewed my recently. Things I have read lean towards the fee being eliminated but I will wait to see on that.

We have a set of GMRS radios and use them for much more that the RV. I have headsets for those times I cannot key the mike manually.
"You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant."

Ain't THAT the truth!

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Lots of good information above. One word of caution: You can not expect to use these for the 1-2 miles as in your OP on FRS and in many cases even on GMRS Freqs. The impressive numbers quoted in their specs are essentially from mountain top to mountain top. Any of them the have VOX ( voice operated capability) will work for backing up. If you have a choice, get one that can use either the included rechargeable battery pack or regular carbon batteries in case you forget the charger.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
One of the issues with FRS (and GRMS) Walkie Talkies is they have a 1-2 second delay between keying the mic and transmitting (they send out a security code to the paired Walkie Talkie). If your spouse does not wait you hear nothing (but the tree was small). Cell phones (with the drive on speaker - hands free works better).

I think hand signs work better than anything (if your spouse is willing to stay within view of the drivers side mirror). You need signs for left, right, straight and how near:
  • Left -> point with both hands large movements
  • Right -> point with both hands large movements
  • Straight -> both hands, motioning towards your body
  • Near -> hold your hands in a clap 2-3 feet aprt (distance to move) and bring them together, when they "clap" it's time to stop

Personally I use the get out and look, backup a few feet and repeat (it may have saved our marriage).
This. We switched to walkies from cell phones because of the feedback. Now my husband complains about the delay. Not good when you start shouting "Stop, stop!".
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #18
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
"You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant."

Ain't THAT the truth!
if you make something idiot proof, nature will make a better idiot.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

my dear wife gets busy giving hand signals and forgets that its important to stay where I can see her,.....all the hand signals in the world are useless if you can't see those hands!!!! .................

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Good News,

FlyBob just informed me the 5 year license is now just 65 dollars.

By the time I renew it should be free!

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW