Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #61

thanks, I will look into that!
sueblizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Now that's funny! I always wondered what DW really was and just assumed it was Driver's Wife, or Da Wife.

And yes... she just smacked me and reminded me that she drives the rig also and her name is Liz

You would think I would know better than remarks like that by now

I have affectionately at times call my wife "The War Department". She strategizes, plans and wins the battles. And I say, "Yes, Mam!" A blind date, a honeymoon in a camper, and still campin' after 46 yrs. Life is good!!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #63
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueblizzard View Post
Does anyone with this brand of WT know of a time out setting? I haven't found any in the manuals or playing around with them. They should work even with less than full charge, but they don't seem to respond consistently. I may try new batteries just to see. So, having said that, perhaps the Cobras might be better?
MT350R Motorola WT
There may be a "power saver" mode that needs to be disabled in the menus.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueblizzard View Post
Does anyone with this brand of WT know of a time out setting? I haven't found any in the manuals or playing around with them. They should work even with less than full charge, but they don't seem to respond consistently. I may try new batteries just to see. So, having said that, perhaps the Cobras might be better?
MT350R Motorola WT
Motorola has the Eco-Smart feature. I believe that Cobra uses the Motorola chassis and features other than the cover (don't quote me on this)

Eco Smart
Most of the energy wasted when using a mobile device occurs
during the charge. The Motorola MT350R uses only half watt of power during its idle condition.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #65

ok thanks for the info. certainly learning more than from the manual here! Much appreciated!
sueblizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #66
Ann

Alternate device for hearing

My husband and I have tried several of the mentioned methods. Handsignals, in view of driver's mirror work for us, ending with a loud whistle. This year we bought Compilots which work with our individual hearing aids. We swap microphones and my husband can clearly hear what I say. We are using the Compilots while driving too. Cost is 300, but worth every penny. We use them in daily life all the time. Our hearing aids are Phonak.
RverAnn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #67

just go to Walmart, dicks sporting goods , gander mountain or any good sporting goods store and pick up a pair for under $40
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We use Midland radios and have great luck so far. We bought the Midland GXT860VP4 42-Channel GMRS with NOAA Weather Alert and 36-Mile Range. We don't use the Vox function or the ear pieces, so I can't rate them other than to say the ear pieces are pretty cheezy. The radios hold a charge for a LONG time and are very clear; we haven't checked the range, but you know it depends on the terrain. They are currently running about $55 at Amazon, but I am sure other places have them also.

I use radios every day at work, don't buy cheap, get the longer range and more channels. You run into interference and can move around the channels. Also you guys need to get out, where I go camping we have no cell phone coverage!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tmsimmons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #69

I like no cell phone. We are taking a trip to Alaska soon and there will hope to be a few days with no cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
You have to be careful when purchasing two-way radios. Some are programmable, but require licensing for the available frequencies.

We recently purchased an pair of Motorola radios that have a good feel and quality. They are quasi waterproof. They also have NOHA weather band frequencies that will alert you with emergency weather reports. That was a real plus feature.

This set comes with a double mini-USB cable with 115V wall charger. There is a two bay drop-in charger available at extra cost that may be a little more convenient. The USB can also be used for car chargers. Rechargeable battery packs are included, but they can also use 3 AA batteries.

The Motorolas can scan multiple channels or lock in on one channel. I believe channels 1-7 do no require a license. The range is up to 35 miles (probably an exaggeration). We have also purchased two mikes that plug in to the side of the radio @$20 ea. We will be doing a two-vehicle convoy for 1,700 miles and the hand mics will be a lot more convenient. According to reviews, they work great for that purpose, but the range is 1-2 miles. We will also use them for driver/spotter application and hunting.

Ebay reference below. Radios on ebay are $90, Amazon $80. Both have had a price change since my purchase. There is a yellow Motorola set that's cheaper, so be careful to compare like radios.

New Motorola MT350R FRS Weatherproof Two Way 35 Mile Radio Pack Orange 843677001426 | eBay

Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker Microphone for Talkabout 2 Way Radios 723755537248 | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-1501-...V4485EC5B8JMQV
We just finished a 1,700 mile jaunt from Florida to Wisconsin using the above radios and hand held mikes. They were flawless. At times, we were over a mile apart and the radios boomed in. Our son commented that the hand mikes were a definite advantage while driving and we strongly agreed. The weather channels also were strong and very clear. The radios were on for an average of 9 hours without losing battery power and they were fully charged over night. DW, who was a bit reluctant, is now a firm believer in the value of these radios.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #71

I have 2 baofeng uv5r radios purchased from amazon for about $35. I have a ham license and use the 2mtr band for ham club activities but my wife doesn't have a license so we use the FRS frequencies for camping. The uv5r radios are very well made and work on FRS, GMRS, plus the 2mtr and 440 ham bands. You need a license for the ham bands but in an emergency you can use any band. In a disaster, earthquake,fire,etc, monitering the ham bands could be a big help. A lot of radio for $35. Chirp programming is available free on lineor easy programming.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #72

I'm sure as a Ham you are aware that Baofeng radios are not legal for FRS use.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs

From above weblink: FRS transmitters have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antenna.

The Baofeng has a detachable antenna and can transmit more than 1/2 watt so it is not legal for FRS use. However, getting a GMRS license is easy and the Baofeng would be legal for use on GMRS frequencies (some GMRS and FRS frequencies are shared).

KX1J
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm sure as a Ham you are aware that Baofeng radios are not legal for FRS use.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs

From above weblink: FRS transmitters have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antenna.

The Baofeng has a detachable antenna and can transmit more than 1/2 watt so it is not legal for FRS use. However, getting a GMRS license is easy and the Baofeng would be legal for use on GMRS frequencies (some GMRS and FRS frequencies are shared).

KX1J
Thanks for the correction. Being fairly new to ham radio I was unaware of that and will be legal from now on. We learn as we go even at 70. Thanks again.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote