Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #21

Windows turned down and two good strong sets of lungs have always worked well for us.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #22

Baofeng/Pofung GT-1

We use them on farm. On flat farm ground will go about 1-2 miles.

However.....new vehicles Bluetooth phones. So I plan on DW calling me and I talk to her over vehicle speakers while I back up.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #23

I use phones with Verizon but whatever I use I have found out don't yell at DW, it's not her fault it's my fault

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #24

We use Midland radios and have great luck so far. We bought the Midland GXT860VP4 42-Channel GMRS with NOAA Weather Alert and 36-Mile Range. We don't use the Vox function or the ear pieces, so I can't rate them other than to say the ear pieces are pretty cheezy. The radios hold a charge for a LONG time and are very clear; we haven't checked the range, but you know it depends on the terrain. They are currently running about $55 at Amazon, but I am sure other places have them also.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Windows turned down and two good strong sets of lungs have always worked well for us.
LOL!
This is exactly the same method my brother and his wife use when parking their trailer. They are usually talking to each other again after an hour or so. They start out pretty good, but after about 3-4 exchanges they are not using quite the same tone, especially if parking is in a difficult spot. I have found that most people have difficulty in distinguishing between yelling to convey information and yelling because someone is upset. Walkies are SO much better.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
It's my understanding that GMRS units require a license at $80/year.
It's a 5 year license. I paid for it because we use the radios a lot. It's literally the most pointless $80 I've ever spent. Massive waste of money. I had been using GMRS for years before I actually got a license. Now I've got a license, and while it might give me that warm-fuzzy feeling of "I'm legal", I never had an issue with it before I had the license. But then, I've also never needed to use insurance on my trailer, so...
Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #27

Our process

We have a process that works fairly well. We use cell phones to communicate.

I use the mirrors and cameras... DW waves her arms around frantically and screams "Oh God! Oh God!" into the cell phone.

Works great!
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #28

You have to be careful when purchasing two-way radios. Some are programmable, but require licensing for the available frequencies.

We recently purchased an pair of Motorola radios that have a good feel and quality. They are quasi waterproof. They also have NOHA weather band frequencies that will alert you with emergency weather reports. That was a real plus feature.

This set comes with a double mini-USB cable with 115V wall charger. There is a two bay drop-in charger available at extra cost that may be a little more convenient. The USB can also be used for car chargers. Rechargeable battery packs are included, but they can also use 3 AA batteries.

The Motorolas can scan multiple channels or lock in on one channel. I believe channels 1-7 do no require a license. The range is up to 35 miles (probably an exaggeration). We have also purchased two mikes that plug in to the side of the radio @$20 ea. We will be doing a two-vehicle convoy for 1,700 miles and the hand mics will be a lot more convenient. According to reviews, they work great for that purpose, but the range is 1-2 miles. We will also use them for driver/spotter application and hunting.

Ebay reference below. Radios on ebay are $90, Amazon $80. Both have had a price change since my purchase. There is a yellow Motorola set that's cheaper, so be careful to compare like radios.

New Motorola MT350R FRS Weatherproof Two Way 35 Mile Radio Pack Orange 843677001426 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131798131279...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-1501-...V4485EC5B8JMQV
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #29

We use a pair of Cobras we've owned for years. For us its a combination of these and hand waving.
We often camp outside of cell phone service. Also come in handy when friends are in the same campground, but not camped near us. I'll give them our second set.
When our kids were younger and camped with us, the second set came in handy to keep in touch when they were at the playground.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #30

visual recon on both the driver and the guide.
and a set of standards like left, right (yours or mine there is a difference) and STOP.
worse time ever was my first time backing a tow behind across a main road into our driveway.
DW was standing behind a tree further back in our yard and i could not see her nor could she me. (probably a good thing )
when i need to go left she was using hand signals which i couldn't see, when she said left i noticed she was facing away from me looking at the back of the trailer as it passed her.

her left meant my right.
just get on the same playing field with commands and keep a visual on each other and when she says Whoa Camel... well you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHOA CAMEL (2).png
Views:	160
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	106975  
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #31

We have tried radios. My wife would start speaking then press the button so I would hear the end of the directions. We tried cell phones with her on speaker but often camp where there is no AT&T service.

After 4 years what works for us is for her to stand where she wants the back corner of the driver's side of the trailer. She uses hand signals we agreed upon. This eliminates the yelling!

My favorite memory of backing into a site was out west. We had a difficult time and she finally shot me the bird. My buddy standing there at the time said "I think she is telling you to move the trailer up!!"
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
One of the issues with FRS (and GRMS) Walkie Talkies is they have a 1-2 second delay between keying the mic and transmitting (they send out a security code to the paired Walkie Talkie). If your spouse does not wait you hear nothing (but the tree was small). Cell phones (with the drive on speaker - hands free works better).

I think hand signs work better than anything (if your spouse is willing to stay within view of the drivers side mirror). You need signs for left, right, straight and how near:
  • Left -> point with both hands large movements
  • Right -> point with both hands large movements
  • Straight -> both hands, motioning towards your body
  • Near -> hold your hands in a clap 2-3 feet aprt (distance to move) and bring them together, when they "clap" it's time to stop

Personally I use the get out and look, backup a few feet and repeat (it may have saved our marriage).
You are correct on the transmit delay. I also get out and look frequently just to get an orientation. It's difficult for a spotter to give directions if they have never backed up a rig into a tight area. The gesture we use differently is the stop. We cross/uncross our forearms 45 degrees. To move forward, both forearms up and a sweeping motion forward, cross/uncross forearms to stop. We will probably use a combination of arm gestures and radios in the future.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #33

When we first started RVing we had the same thoughts, buy walkie talkies....

They lasted about 2 trips and we decided they weren't worth the trouble. We now have developed a system of hand signals and wording for her to tell me what to do. She stands in view of my mirror and within ear shot. Usually tells me which way the back of the trailer needs to go by pointing. As long as the terms used are understood by both of you it prevents her from telling ME where to go

We developed this system after trying to back the RV into a tight spot after dark in the rain and we both got testy. When we realized we were yelling at each other we started laughing and decided to never again be one of 'those' couples you always see at parks

Now the walkie talkies are a novelty for the grandkids to play with.

Hope you find a system that works for you... but above all... patience!!

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #34

radios, etc.

We prefer hand signals, except when it's dark. We have cell phones and bought a pair of FRS radios on eBay for $17 to keep in the truck "just in case".
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #35
Site Team

Sometimes there is also a delay even when yelling back and forth. Last summer I watched a couple maneuver a large motorhome into a small site. I offered to help but they said the had it. While returning to my site a heard a loud crunch and saw fiberglass flying. About 1.5 seconds later the spotter yelled STOP.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
my dear wife gets busy giving hand signals and forgets that its important to stay where I can see her,.....all the hand signals in the world are useless if you can't see those hands!!!! .................
X2 on the hand signals when out of sight (usually behind trailer), went to cell phone but keep camping where little/no signal, went to walkie
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #37

Works great... if you have a cell signal🙈
Old 05-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
My wife and I just bought our first travel trailer and will be putting it to use in Utah this summer. I like the idea of using walkie talkies for backing up the trailer and for just hiking around while camping. Any suggestions on walkie talkies that (1) don't require a license, (2) will work within a few miles as I don't need a 20 mile range, (3) simple to use that won't require an engineering degree and (4) cost maybe $50 or less?
Mrs. Ornery and I use them for backing in. They are really great. Especially on a driver's blind side. The trick is to make sure your S.O. (significant other) knows how to use it! Mrs.Ornery would sometimes accidentally change channels, talk without pressing the talk button, keep the talk button pressed when I need to talk back to her! (I wonder if that's on purpose?).
Ours are Cobra, 2 mile range. (That's all we need) Can't say if they need a license.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #39

kdp1897- we are having difficulty with our WT (same brand/model). They work ok when first turned on, but after being on and idle for several hours, they no longer transmit. Do you have any ideas about why this is happening? We bought them to use as an emergency system overnight for my mother who lives on the same property and it isn't panning out.
sueblizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #40
Site Team

Problem could be low batteries or radio could have a time-out timer due to lack of activity. If they are rechargeable type and the radios have not been used for a while they may need to be replaced.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote