Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Want to De-Wintersize

Beautiful day here in MO and REALLY, REALLY want to go out and get the 5er ready but know winter isn't done yet.
Anyone else sit and whine at their door wanting to go out and get the trailer ready but know they shouldn't?
LOL
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

I used to. But dewinterizing is so quick now, its not as big of a deal. But getting out there and giving it a spring clean-up is always fun. Maybe open the doors and run the vent fans for awhile, then use some Pine-sol or something nice.

I think we're all ready for the first trip of the year. This warm weather certainly helps.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

We went from North Central Arkansas to the Gulf two weeks ago. Dewinterized for the trip. When I got back, blew out the lines, emptied the hot water heater, but that's it. I don't see any hard freezes in the next two weeks.

I've declared winter over, and the camping season has begun.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I used to. But dewinterizing is so quick now, its not as big of a deal. But getting out there and giving it a spring clean-up is always fun. Maybe open the doors and run the vent fans for awhile, then use some Pine-sol or something nice.

I think we're all ready for the first trip of the year. This warm weather certainly helps.
You are right. We can winterize in 15 min., so we don't mind doing it 3 or 4 times a year so we can camp all winter here in NC.

Got back today from a five-day trip with record-setting high temps. Didn't even need heat, but will re-winterize again this week because we know it's too good to be true.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

I am itching to de winterize and good cleanup, been in the 60-70 degree range in Va. But March is coming and we have had some wicked March's in the past. I think I will hold off.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

It'll be mid to late May before I de-winterize here in Colorado. I do get the itch and my wife, I, and our 3 boxers have movie day every other Sunday in our camper while it is in storage. Give me the opportunity to make sure everything is working and most importantly, ensure no mice have taken residence in our camper. I often fall asleep on the reclining chair while watching TV and I with my eye's closed easily imagine being away in the mountains.

I really can't stand the smell of RV antifreeze and I swear I can smell it in the water for weeks after flushing it out and running a strong bleach solution thru the water lines. This past fall, I did something different. I drained the water heater, and used a lot of compressed air to blow out all of the lines. Afterwards, I left the low point water drains open, removed the lines to the water pump to drain the water pump debris filter, and left all of the water faucets open. I think everything will be ok when I finally put water back into it.

Have fun camping if you do dewinterize and take it out!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

I'm in Michigan. Spring is a long ways away. Gotta watch the 10 day forecast fore a warm up Take it out then rewinterize when done.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #8

I've seen some units over the years where the owner installed a small 5 gallon tank that they could fill with RV anti-freeze. Open a valve or two here, close a valve or two there, and just pump it through the system. People that did this also took the filter element out, put it in a zip lock bag, and stored it in the freezer to be re-used on the next trip.

Me? I've been out working in my trailer on a few projects. Turn on the heat and TV or Stereo and work for a couple hours. Weather lately has been so bad that anywhere I'd go nearby, I'd just be confined to the inside of the trailer anyway. This way I get work done and don't need to buy gas or rent campsite for a night or two.

My "Winter' still has 45 days to go and then it's on the road again.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter