Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Want to use it in winter!

I'm a completely green TT noob.

I'm supposed to be getting a Wildwood 28-DBUD (29'10"), as in; contract tomorrow.

In my fantasy trailer life, I planned to travel all winter, but mostly in the lower half of the country.

I'm shaking in my boots about this "winterizing" thing. Is there a different trailer I should get? I shopped some of the arctic-y types, and they are expensive and not really available here in Texas. Even if I stay in climates similar to North Texas, it gets freekin COLD here. A bad day in Dallas is either 20* or 110*.

Is winter travel is not logical in a trailer with so little insulation?
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
I'm a completely green TT noob.

I'm supposed to be getting a Wildwood 28-DBUD (29'10"), as in; contract tomorrow.

In my fantasy trailer life, I planned to travel all winter, but mostly in the lower half of the country.

I'm shaking in my boots about this "winterizing" thing. Is there a different trailer I should get? I shopped some of the arctic-y types, and they are expensive and not really available here in Texas. Even if I stay in climates similar to North Texas, it gets freekin COLD here. A bad day in Dallas is either 20* or 110*.

Is winter travel is not logical in a trailer with so little insulation?
If you stay in the southern part of the southern states, you shouldn't have any problems. We live in the Charlotte, NC area and don't winterize as we go to FL when the temps here get down to the 40's (which is usually around Thanksgiving) and don't come back until mid Mar.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

I don't want to go to Florida (just got back from "Lower Alabama"). I want to go to NC

Black Mountain is calling my name. Is THAT too cold?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #4

We winter camp in the North GA mountains with no issues, a heated water hose might be a good investment for you though.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I don't want to go to Florida (just got back from "Lower Alabama"). I want to go to NC

Right now and until around Christmas might be ok, but after Christmas, it is questionable with the weather, i.e. ice/snow, etc. They get snow when we don't down in the Charlotte area. Had snow here 2 yrs ago, but we were in FL and our son sent us pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House with snow 2.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	40793   Click image for larger version

Name:	House with snow 3.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	40794  
Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

That is beautiful. I just love NC.

I'm happy to go elsewhere to stay off the icy roads, I guess I'm more curious at what temps the water system in the TT becomes a problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Welcome and we will terach you ALOT of usless but good info...Woozy!

We live in north Georgia and LOVE winter camping. Have been out when the high temp during the day only got up to 34 degrees. Just have to take a few precautions and extar woolies.

We did a lot on winter camping in our little Gray Wolf 19RR. Just took delivery of a NEW Work & Play 25 ULA with the ARTIC package. CANT WAIT to try that puppy out this winter.

Down side to winter camping? Not as many great places open. However here in Georgia we do have several State Park that are open during the winter. LOVE IT! No bugs, no snakes, no kids and no people! Usually just us and the camp ground hosts.

ENJOY!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

My salesman is trying to get me into a 29'10" trailer (28DBUD) since I have a TV with a 10,800 towing package.

I may want smaller, and I want an Arctic pkg. Yup. I do.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

With a few precautions you won't have any problems with winter camping if you have at least a heated enclosed underbelly.

I'm a little concerned about your tow vehicle however. Don't worry about the tow capability (GCVW). You need to look at payload.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Payload is 1425#. The Wildwood I'm looking at is 5895#. I can tell I need to get a lot smarter about this stuff.

I'm getting a topnotch WDH regardless of which trailer I get. I just think I'll be happier with a lighter and smaller unit.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
2014 Traveler

What are some ideas to seal the bottom up so one could survive winter? We are in Tx but in the upper panhandle and it does get freakin cold here!! Especially when the wind is whipping around at 40-50mph winds!
RetAFRVnW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:

Black Mountain usually won't get too cold until mid Jan. thru Feb.

Mid 50's day temps and into the low 30's at night until mid Jan. and then anything can happen.

Winters have been fairly mild lately. The good thing about Black Mountain is if a winter storm is predicted, you could "retreat" out of the mountains to warmer climates pretty fast.

I'm about 30 miles SE of Black Mountain and about 1400 ft. lower in elevation...Black Mountain is a cool town.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #13

We have camped year-round in North Carolina for the past 8 years with no problems. But hardly ever in the mountains in Jan or Feb. Our underbelly is enclosed with ducted heat but no heated tanks. We've often camped when the nighttime low gets to 15 or 20, but in this part of NC it usually gets well above freezing the following day. So typically, no long strings of temperatures staying below freezing.

We make sure our holding tanks are never close to full, so there will be room for expansion if they do freeze. We unhook and empty the fresh water hose on freezing nights and re-connect it the next day. That's it. Never a problem.

Lots of people freak out about winter camping, but in this part of the country just a couple of precautions will carry you through. We camp every month of the year, so we end up winterizing and de-winterizing 4 or 5 times between trips during the winter, which is a 10 minute job and well worth it to be able to camp year-round. Go for it.

We camp at Swannanoa often during the year at a great campground called Mama Gertie's Hideaway. About halfway between Black Mountain and Asheville. It's open all year.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Our WP25ULA has that spray on insulation. Our gray wold is enclosed with a black fabric opf some kind. The furnace is ducted in the floor.

We also have electrical tape we use on the water hose. Does not com eon until the temp drops to 35 degrees.

Look into getting add on tank warmed if you are concerned.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #15

Get whatever trailer you prefer as long as you have checked TV capacity and your OK. Most people under estimate how much 'stuff' they put in it so estimate high. As far as cold weather camping goes it is not a big deal with some simple precautions and/or some extra items. Don't have full tanks, disconnect your hose or buy a hose heater. You can add on tank heaters if needed. Extra battery power is really helpful if you are dry camping so give that some thought. What people plan to do and after traveling in an RV really do are sometimes different! Just saying plan but don't fret - it's fun!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter