Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #1

warranty for axle alignment

My wife and I bought a new Grey Wolf 27rr this last spring and after towing several thousand miles I have noticed the inside tread on one of the tires is wearing down. I will be taking the trailer in this winter for warranty work and am wondering if the axle alignment is covered under warranty?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Do you still have the original tires that came on the unit. If so it could just be the tires. I had some weird tire wear also and turned out it was the tires. I put maxxis on and load it the same and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

The original factory warranty is hitch to bumper - but there are a couple issues here. I know our dealer has a very large service department, but they don't mount/balance tires or align axles - they just don't have the equipment. I think that is true of many dealers. And the other issue is proving to FR that the alignment is the root cause of the wear.

By all means, ask your dealer about this. Maybe they can check it or maybe they have a recommended shop that can properly check this. Hopefully, that is enough to get the ball rolling.

If not, you may have to be persistent and find a good commercial trailer shop yourself. If they check the alignment and find its off, they should be able to document that for you to submit to the dealer. If the dealer doesn't help, you could contact FR directly for remedy / reimbursement.

We had some tire issues, and our dealer had to sub-contract the work, but they were very good about submitting the info to FR and it was approved as a warranty issue repair. We never had to pay out of pocket or deal with the tire shop.

Hopefully you have a similar experience. You certainly need to resolve it before you put new tires on. Might take some persistence on your part, but if they really are off, seems like it should be a warranty item.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

U can make measuring by taking 3 pieces of wood. One long enough for center of axles(grease fitting). Other 2 enough to clear the tires and rest on the hubs. Screw them together. Mark the first board and line it at the fitting. Mark the center of the other axle on the second board. Repeat on other side and measure the difference. Forget what is consider acceptable. Less than .25" I believe.

The rubber equalizer had collapsed on one side of mine. Was over 1" of alignment. Dexter prorated the replacement set. If they are out of alignment will wear one tire on each axle but opposing sides.

Loose wheel bearings can make tire wear and factory tires don't have the greatest reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, axle, warranty