Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Warranty Frustrations

Guys and Gals:
I realize there are pitfalls buying RV and campers from "nonlocal" dealers now. My nearest local dealer is about 2 hours away in South Carolina for Rockwood. I have a couple of cabinet doors and leaking city water connection on the inside of the camper, nothing major at all. The local dealer will be happy to service our Roo and I must say they are very nice and perhaps I would buy from them in the future.

The inside skinny is the dealer is given an allotment of time for various warranty items and as the service manager told me, often what Forest River allots only covers a portion of the repair, so they eat it as a good gesture to their customers who buy from them. He said often the dealer knows there is a likelyhood of a repair and in the sales price they need to adjust it to cover their butts ( my words, not theirs). We had a really nice conversation and he said I could bring it in and what ever FR does not pay them I will have to cover. well it really works like an insurance transaction, I pay 100 percent then FR sends me a check, not necessarily 100% of the costs.

I have asked very nicely to the warranty folks at FR to cover it all. I reminded them I paid for the extra year too on the camper. The service manager was candid in that we talked about how the marine and auto industry works and how the RV industry is in the dark ages when it comes to this issue. He said he would love to earn my business and acknowledged the bind I was in. He did not fault me for buying in Florida. I really appreciated his honesty and how I was treated inspite of the issue here. I am hoping FR kicks in here and does the right thing.

08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

I think it may be a polite way of telling you that seeing you did not purchase from us it is going to cost you some. Those items should be fully covered by warranty.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

My local dealer here told me the same thing ... That the factory only pays for a fraction of the time it takes them to repair things. And they know more or less what will go wrong, so they add it to their price. So when you bring it back to them, they have already charged you and happily do warranty work. of course If there is nothing wrong with your trailer, they just charged you a ton of money they get to keep in their own pocket.

I am more inclined to think that it is their way of punishing you for not buying it from them. I wish the manufacturers would oblige dealers to do warranty work with no conditions .....Then they can ALL adjust their prices and we will have the freedom of buying it from anywhere we choose instead of being "persuaded" this way .....

I have no problems taking my trailer to the factory for repairs or across the border as I despise this tactique obviously in use by more than one dealer .....
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

It might be...but he said the warranty allotment for a typical water line leak FR allows for labor cost of about 15 minutes. So who do I believe? I was in contact with FR via email this morning and then when I reported back to them about the issue, FR went silent. Either way the FR and the dealers both point fingers like 13 year old boys getting caught with their first Playboy...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Well, there has to be customers like me, who, during the one year standard warranty, never returned for any issues. What minor issues I had, I was able to resolve easily myself. There is all profit there for the dealer.

When I was in the marine electronics field, I would do the pre wire and then installation of marine electronics, entertainment equipment, computer network, telephone systems, satellite systems (TV and Phone) and monitoring systems for tanks and mechanical equipment. On some of the larger yachts, I would be away from home for up to 6 months doing this work. My incentive was my bonus, which was how much time I could come in under the quoted time, a percentage of the sold equipment, and how much warranty work there was in the first year. I was encouraged to work fast and do it right the first time, that is how I made my money that made being away from my DW worth it. I no longer do this (body couldn't keep up) but the work ethic still prevails.

Perhaps there can be some way the RV industry can make this warranty issue work out. Build a quality product, like ours, that doesn't need warranty work. Possibly track the workers installing/ building to particular units and offer bonus' on work done correctly (after the warranty period). Make the worker feel like they are part of and proud of each unit they work on.

Just a thought.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

I am like kbrown, and do all of the minor repairs myself. FR has been very good about sending me anything that needed replacement, I guess they were happy they didn't have to pay the labor as well!
I bought the extra year warranty, and the only time I will use it is if something major goes wrong. Anything else, I can fix myself. Saves a lot of hassle, and I know it is fixed right the first time.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Part of living in a "throwaway" society. I try to make my own repairs.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #8

Yall,
I can repair the water leak and while I am not a pro in the marine industry, I do enjoy working on my boats. I am with you 110%, BUT and this sticks in my crawl, the camper is 5 months old. The warranty is bumper to bumper and either they stand behind it or they dont and I paid for an extra year. To me this is the principle of the thing. Yeah I can fix it, but if that is the case then I should have bought a used RV plain and simple where I can fix things until the cows come home.

I need to tell a story. I finally bought my first new boat back in the spring of 2009, a 22 foot Grady White walk around with a Yammaha F250 4 stroke V6 outboard. In the spring of 2010 we took her out for the first cruise of the spring after dewinterizing her. somehow the motor ingested a bunch of water. I did not know how or when but it did. I took her not to the Grady dealer 3 hours away ,but to a marine center an hour away that was factory authorized to work on Yammaha. The motor had 163 hours on it. After the service center took the motor apart and sent photos to Yammaha, Yammaha gave me a brand new motor! which I might add costs more than my Roo.

So, it seems to me I could be getting the shaft over an $80 repair by either the dealer or FR or both. I dont get why they just dont step up to the plate and make it right, period. I did not buy a new RV to be nickled and dimed by potential warranty issues and this is the short sighted view this industry has. As long as there are outboard motors and I own a boat with one, I am a dedicated loyal Yammaha outboard motor customer. I am not yet ready to toss FR under the bus, just their lack of response makes me wonder here.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #9

Smokyroo, I ain't really arguing with the basis of your complaint.
The thing is, your Yamaha is a quality product, and is known to be so.
Our campers are built like crap, we know it, the dealers know it, as does the manufacturer. Its just a fact of life, and I don't know of any quality campers built anymore. The consumer simply wouldn't pay for quality, and the builders all went bankrupt if they didn't start building cheap campers. It is our own fault.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Look for another dealer repair place--------

The local dealer that tries to stick it to you would be the last place I would take my RV for warranty work, or any work.

It is still the old system in the RV industry that still exist with a mentality of "YOU DIDN'T BUY IT HERE, YOU WILL GET SCREWED GOOD BY US".

I would drive out of my way (yes, a long way) to get warranty work done by a center that appreciates your business even tho you did not buy from him.

There are a lot of RV sales and warranty centers that will do your work, it does not have to be Rockwood or Flagstaff. I know for I have been to Camping World, Flagstaff dealer and a non RV repair for Axle and brake work. (my unit is a ROCKWOOD). I had no problem after the repairs were done getting reinbursed by Forest River AFTER THE OK FOR THE REPAIRS BY FOREST RIVER.

I did not buy local, my purchase was in OHIO and I live in Florida. The savings by purchasing in Ohio by far was savings of $13,000.00. For that kind of savings, I will gladly tow my RV to a distance dealer for warranty repairs (MAJOR). The small things I do myself for this is part of being a RV owner. I have been RVing starting back in 1985. I have been down the same road as you about the "WE ARE GOING TO SCREW YOU GOOD FOR NOT BUYING FROM US". I do not do business with these type of places and will litterly BAD MOUTH THEM TO DEATH for this kind of treatment.

Call Forest River, tell where you live and any suggestions for a warranty RV service that they will honor? I have found Forest River is very sympathitic to the buyer and will work with you to assist in your repairs.
Be nice to to people you talk to at FR, explain your delimma and good luck.

I also bought the second year warranty and only for LARGE MAJOR REPAIRS !

Forest River will send you the cabinet doors i'm sure if you ask, do your own installation !!!

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote