Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
I have had simular problems with a older pump turned out to be a piece of plastic in one of the check valves. Causes it not to build pressure and runs like it is not pumping or sounds like it hums. In my case just cleaned out dissassybled pump head and reinstalled and worked fine if you have a bad check valve you can usually pick them up at a camping dealer.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Thanks, all, for your comments. I am reluctant to work on the pump myself for fear that whatever I do to attempt a fix will give FR an excuse to void the warranty. Here is the reply from FR Warranty:

"I understand that you feel there is a problem with your water pump. Until a problem has been confirmed with a Forest River dealer, I cannot pay the $153 bill. Our policy, in all instances, is to pay for the repair or replacement of a component, not troubleshooting. If you’d like to call Grumbine’s RV Center in Harrisburg to schedule an appointment, they are a Rockwood dealer and can replace your water pump through our warranty system. "

So, if I read this correctly, FR will not pay for the troubleshoot done by the repair shop identified and recommended by RV Wholesalers as part of its repair network, but FR will pay to replace the pump if I go to the local Rockwood dealer. Sounds as though I shouldn't have contacted RVW in the first place. Had I gone to FR and/or the local Rockwood dealer, I probably would have the problem resolved under warranty and kept by $153. However, if the repair shop found the pump to be working normally during the troubleshoot, then a new pump replacement wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. I'm confused!!!!!! And frustrated.

Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou
This is one reason I believe extended warranties (except the 2nd year extension offered by FR but NOT advertised by &^%$^%& dealers) are not worth the paper they are printed on.

You can buy a NEW Shurflo higher pressure QUIET pump for about what you have paid for troubleshooting so far. Unscrew the old one; screw in the new one and done. If it did not solve your issue, you at LEAST have an upgraded pump AND you eliminated the 90% probable cause. Hypro-shurflo Llc - SHURflo Whisper King Demand Fresh Water Pump - Pumps & Tanks - Camping World

The remaining causes involve plumbing only and involve a little "head scratching on your part to find and repair. Why pay 150 dollars an hour for a technician to "head scratch"?

Once they tested the pump (and it passed), they were "done" and your problems just started. Because FR would only pay for the repair IF A PROBLEM was found, the repair shop did you no favor with a CND finding (Could Not Duplicate).

Just like a car "rattle," finding it yourself is the only cost effective way to get it fixed. A mechanic can shoot hours "not finding it." Buy a stethoscope and have your DW take it for a drive while you "listen for the noise." The quarter that slid down the defroster vent will show up eventually.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Good points, all, Lou. I am awaiting clarification from FR warranty before I move forward. At this point, it sounds as though FR will pay for a new pump replacement, but the $153 "troubleshoot" I get to eat. Yet another life lesson on the journey. I'm fifty-seven years old. When I was younger, I thought these lessons would be a thing of the past when I reached the age of wisdom. I've finally figured out that when I reach the age of wisdom, I'll be taking the big dirt nap. Until that time, enjoy the ride....and keep learning.

Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote