Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

warranty problem

bought a used 2013 3170 on the web from a dealer out of state. was assured it had the remainder of fr warranty as well as remainder of fords warranty. coach had 10k miles on it. to be safe i added a good sams warranty.

before, during, and after delivery a few issues were discovered that should be warranty issues. the gps reboots, if you play a dvd from the front player it is displayed in black and white on the tvs.

selling dealership said local dealer would honor warranty. local dealer was not completely on board with that. local dealer tells me that fr wont honor the warranty because the coach was not registered with them.

the more i read it seems fr is selling a warranty that in fact the buyer may not be able to enforce. on their website they do more than suggest that you buy local or you may not get what you think you are getting from a warranty perspective.
lndlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

FR has repeatedly stated it will not honor any warranty to a subsequent purchaser. This site is full of posts form people who have had local dealers refuse warranty work on units they did not sell. I am one of those.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It is any dealers discretion if he honors warranty work or not if unit was not bought from them.
In some cases you may be put behind customers whom actually bought from local dealer .
There's many many threads about this same issue all over frf.
A search will provide you with many hours of reading.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

warranty

the only way is to buy warranty contract from a third party ...mabye you could go this way?
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

fr says that it is best to buy local bla bla bla, but i never saw anything that says the 1 yr fr warranty can not be transferred. the dealer i got it from said it was. i guess i also have a problem with them. thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndlord View Post
fr says that it is best to buy local bla bla bla, but i never saw anything that says the 1 yr fr warranty can not be transferred. the dealer i got it from said it was. i guess i also have a problem with them. thanks for the info.
It has been my experience that anything said in the "negotiation" phase of a purchase that is NOT in writing on the contract; does not exist.

Salesmen do this tactic all the time across all industries. "Sure I can get that to you on Monday. Don't you worry the write up sheet says 10 business days, I will make a phone call."

Good luck getting it in 10 days; let alone Monday.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
the only way is to buy warranty contract from a third party ...mabye you could go this way?
thanks. my thoughts are, if you buy a warrantied item, the manufacturer is responsible to honor the warranty. you are correct the dealer may not have too. if fr allows them to remain a dealer after refusing to honor a warranty, then the fault is back to fr, as they are committing fraud by selling a warranty that they had no intention of forcing their dealers to honor.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndlord View Post
thanks. my thoughts are, if you buy a warrantied item, the manufacturer is responsible to honor the warranty. you are correct the dealer may not have too. if fr allows them to remain a dealer after refusing to honor a warranty, then the fault is back to fr, as they are committing fraud by selling a warranty that they had no intention of forcing their dealers to honor.
that pretty much sums up the industry. FR makes some great products, but their dealer support is clearly lacking in many areas.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It has been my experience that anything said in the "negotiation" phase of a purchase that is NOT in writing on the contract; does not exist.

Salesmen do this tactic all the time across all industries. "Sure I can get that to you on Monday. Don't you worry the write up sheet says 10 business days, I will make a phone call."

Good luck getting it in 10 days; let alone Monday.
i hear ya. except i have it all in writing. or email. either way, same result.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

This statment is in the motorized owners manual "warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY" so if you are the second owner then FR's one year warranty does not applie to you. If the selling dealer said you still had factory warranty then they lied.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

*****Forest River, Inc. strongly encourages our retail customers to purchase from their local dealership whenever possible due to the following factors:Our Dealers are as a rule, independently owned and operated businesses. Outside of those customers they personally sold products to, they are not contractually obligated to perform warranty service on Forest River products that were purchased elsewhere. There*may*be an occasion that you would be required to return to the point of purchase to satisfy warranty requirements.Although many dealerships will eventually service products not purchased at their place of business, they will usually take care of their customers and other Forest River customers who are traveling away from their local dealer as they would their own.Local purchases allow a customer to establish a relationship with a dealer close to home. This relationship provides the customer with a convenient location for service and support from a "home town" professional.The opportunity for a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and product orientation is an additional benefit of buying from your local dealer. Further providing the opportunity for refresher courses or the ability to get questions answered much more conveniently.For our Canadian customers, there are also requirements which must be met to bring an RV purchased out of the country to their home. Although not insurmountable, these requirements may involve such things as additional inspections and certifications, taxes and fees. Your local Canadian Dealer is a professional at meeting these requirements.*****Forest River's goal is for all RV Owners to fully enjoy their RV experience. In light of this goal, and considering the advantages of buying local, we encourage you to be thorough when determining what product to purchase and which dealer to purchase it from as both are key to your ultimate satisfaction and the realization of your dreams.*Continue on to Dealer Locator
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

LIMITED WARRANTY TOWABLE PRODUCTS FOREST RIVER INC. RECREATIONAL VEHICLES BY FOREST RIVER INC.
Thank you for choosing to purchase a Recreational Vehicle by Forest River Inc., a fne product in which design and construction have received the care that quality demands. This important warranty covers many items and is indicative of our desire to stand behind our products and assure our customers’ complete satisfaction.
WARRANTY COVERAGE
SUMMARY OF WARRANTY: Forest River Inc., 55470 CR 1, P.O. Box 3030, Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030 (Warrantor) warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY, when purchased from an authorized Forest River Inc. dealer, for a period of (1) one year from date of purchase (Warranty Period), that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor.
EXCLUSIONS FROM THIS WARRANTY: Warrantor expressly disclaims any responsibility for damage to the unit where damage is due to condensation, normal wear and tear or exposure to elements. Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to, but not limited to, the chassis including without limitation, any mechanical parts or systems of the chassis, axles, tires, tubes, batteries and gauges, routine maintenance, equipment and appliances, or audio and/or video equipment. Their respective manufacturers and suppliers may warrant some of these items. Warranty information with respect to these items is available from your dealer.
The Warrantor further makes no warranty with regard to any product used for commercial purposes, as a permanent residence or as a rental unit, or any product not registered and normally used in the United States or Canada.
LIMITATION AND DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES: WARRANTOR EXPRESSLY LIMITS THE DURATION OF ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE EXCEPT IN THOSE STATES THAT DO NOT ALLOW THIS EXCLUSION. WARRANTOR EXPR ESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AFTER EXPIRATION OF THE WARRANTY PERIOD. No action to enforce express or implied warranties shall be commenced later than (90) ninety days after expiration of the warranty period. There is no warranty of any nature made by the Warrantor beyond that contained in this Warranty. No person has authority to enlarge, amend or modify this Warranty, except this Warrantor.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
No action to enforce express or implied warranties shall be commenced without prior written notice to the manufacture and/or warrantor at the address listed above of the alleged defect or nonconformity or the authorized repair facility’s failed repair attempt and MANUFACTURE, AT ITS DIRECT OPTION, shall have a fnal opportunity to remedy.
DISCLAIMER OF CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL DAMAGES: THE ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER OF THIS RECREATIONAL VEHICLE AND ANY PERSON TO WHOM THIS UNIT IS TRANSFERRED, AND ANY PERSON WHO IS INTENDED OR UNINTENDED USER OR BENEFICIARY OF THIS UNIT SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO REC OVER FROM WARRANTOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
WARRANTOR’S OBLIGATIONS: Warrantor will remedy substantial defects in materials and workmanship caused by Warrantor. Warrantor shall elect to remedy the defect from among the following: repair, replacement or refund. Warrantor may not elect refund unless the Purchaser agrees, or the Warrantor is unable to provide replacement and repair is not commercially practicable. Warranty performance can only be obtained at Warrantor’s authorized dealers and service centers and from Warrantor, at the discretion of the Warrantor. All costs incurred in transporting this recreational vehicle for warranty service shall be borne by Purchaser. Warrantor shall remedy the defect within a reasonable amount of time, after appointment and delivery by Purchaser. All of Warrantor’s expenses in remedying the defect shall be borne by the Warrantor.
PURCHASER’S OBLIGATIONS: Purchaser must complete, sign and return the owner’s registration within (10) ten days of purchase to validate this Warranty. The return of this registration is a condition precedent to warranty coverage; failure to return the completed registration to the Warrantor will invalidate this warranty. Purchaser shall deliver this recreational vehicle for warranty service within a reasonable time after discovery of the defect and in no event after expiration of the Warranty period, which Warranty Period is (1) one year. All expenses incurred by Purchaser in obtaining warranty service shall be borne by Purchaser. . Warranty service shall, whenever possible, be scheduled with the selling dealer, by an appointment in order to avoid possible delays. Purchaser can, if necessary, obtain a list of persons authorized to perform warranty service by contacting Warrantor at the above address. No action to enforce express or implied warranties shall be commenced without prior written notice to the manufacture and/or warrantor at the address listed above of the alleged defect or nonconformity or the authorized repair facility’s failed repair attempt and MANUFACTURE, AT ITS DIRECT OPTION, shall have a fnal opportunity to remedy.
EVENTS DISCHARGING WARRANTOR FROM OBLIGATION UNDER THIS WARRANTY: Misuse or neglect, including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance, unauthorized alteration, accident, and improper loading, use as a permanent residence, commercial use or leasing of the recreational vehicle shall discharge Warrantor from any obligation under this Warranty.
PARTS AND DESIGN CHANGES: Warrantor reserves the right to change the parts and design of its recreational vehicle from time to time without notice and with no obligation to maintain spare parts or make corresponding changes in its products previously manufactured.
OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE: To insure your local dealer’s personal interest in your complete satisfaction, it is recommended that all warranty service, be performed by the authorized dealer from whom you purchased your unit. Following a move or as you are traveling, should warranty service become necessary, such service shall be performed by any authorized dealer in the United States or Canada. Such service shall also, whenever possible, be scheduled by an appointment, in order to avoid possible delays.
WARRANTY REGISTRATION: A warranty registration is to be completed by the owner at the time of purchase and returned to the Warrantor. The return of this registration is a condition precedent to warranty coverage; failure to return the completed registration to Warrantor will invalidate this Warranty.
OTHER WARRANTIES: As indicated in the paragraph above, entitled ‘Exclusions From This Warranty’, certain items that are not covered by this Warranty may be warranted separately by their manufacturers or suppliers. In order to validate those warranties, you may also be required to complete and return to the appropriate manufacturer the warranty forms included with the information package. These other warranties may cover, but are not limited to, such items as chassis, axles, tires, tubes, batteries, optional generators, and appliances, which are not covered by this Limited Warranty. For service or parts required for these products it may be necessary to write or call the product manufacturer to obtain the nearest authorized service center location. In requesting parts for separately warranted products from the manufacturer of the product or its authorized service center it may also be necessary to frst obtain a warranty work authorization number before the work is done. It may also be necessary to provide the Product Name, Model and Serial Number along with the description of the problem and part needed, plus shipping instructions. See these warranties with respect to their terms and conditions.
OWNER ASSISTANCE: Your confdence and good will are important to Forest River Inc., as is maintaining a pleasant relationship with our dealers. We at Forest River, recognize that there may be occasions when a warranty or service problem is not handled to your satisfaction, resulting in misunderstandings. After discussing the situation with the dealership management, if your problem has not been resolved to your satisfaction, we welcome you to contact the Forest River Customer Service Manager, at the address listed above, Our recommendations for an agreeable solution will be communicated to the local dealer,
THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STAT
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Go to the Rally in August----------------

Show up at the rally in august, fill out a complaint sheet about your problems.

My suggestion!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Unfortunately, I don't see having the beef with Forest River.......the dealer lied.

Pretty easy to see that. Take it up with them. If you have something in writing from them, I would go after at least an aftermarket warranty from them.

You are just SOL on the FR warranty.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Site Team

the reality is that this is common throughout the RV industry.
very few RV manufacturers allow the factory warranty to be transferred.
even Jayco, one of the last holdouts, dropped this from their warranty about 5 years ago.

"Jayco’s 2-Year Warranty

At Jayco, part of our mission is to produce high quality, high value products and we back that up with our Quality Assurance Testing programs. This mission, along with the testing we do to support it, provides us with the confidence to offer an exclusive two year warranty, the best and most comprehensive in the industry.

Jayco’s warranty is straight from us, the manufacturer. It’s not an extended warranty nor does it come from your dealer. It comes from the people who built it for you. Our warranty is for two years or 24,000 miles (for motorized only), whichever occurs first, for the original purchaser starting from the date of purchase."

you seem to expect the RV industry to be the same as the Auto industry, which is a big mistake.
your issue is with the dealer, who knew that the warranty was not transferable.

did they provide that statement in writing?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #16

Incidentally, these types of complaints are certainly not lost on FR products. You can read other forums, such as the Keystone forum, and find the same gripes. The industry as a whole needs a customer service and quality assurance overhaul. You can walk through a FR product, then walk through a comparable Keystone product, and I think you'll agree that the FR is a cut above in construction quality. Wish that the industry would become a little more customer focused, though.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote