Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Warranty repair and contacting Forest River

Question, has anyone had any luck getting support from FR directly when your service place let's you down?

Here is the scenario. I have a Georgetown RV. Has only 5k miles and lightly used a couple weeks a year. We literally just passed our 3 yrs by one month next week.

On our last vacation 2 weeks ago the heater stopped working and the steps bolt is about to snap in which I have read plenty on here they have issues. Already one broke and I repaired that but now the steps are just misaligned and about to break.

I took it into Mike Thompson where we bought it. They are claiming the FR will not pay to fix anything as it is outside the 3 yr warranty.

Will I have any luck reaching out to FR? Seems a little silly I am literally 3 weeks out of the warranty and they say no way.

Help would be great.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

My tt is at forest river factory in Elkhart now for repairs. When dropped of was not given any eta of being done. And when you call get no answers either. Every one I talk to tell me probably 6 weeks. They could build me a new one in that time. Guess they already got my $$
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Well I sent them an email from their link on the website. We shall see what comes back.
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As you said i'ts out of warranty. Same thing you buy a vehicle and when the warranty is up then you got to pay. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
As you said i'ts out of warranty. Same thing you buy a vehicle and when the warranty is up then you got to pay. Later RJD
Oh I understand. I think it is lousy when it is a known problem like the steps and only one month out. Is what it is. I have an extended warranty plan so I should be good either way, but bad form on FR part in my book.
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

So now you say you have extended warranty. So then you should be able to get the repairs. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
So now you say you have extended warranty. So then you should be able to get the repairs. Later RJD
I do but irrelevant in my mind. Again you have a known problem and are out one month and won't fix it. Bad form from the manufacturer. Would be one thing if it was a completely random issue. Still I have had vehicle manufacturers pay for repairs a year out of warranty. Ford F-250 had a turbo hose clamp issue. Not a recall but a known issue. Mine did not fail until well out of warranty. Ford still fixed it at no cost.
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 04-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Not all dealers and manufacturers are the same. Quite often it depend on your attitude going in. It won't hurt to ask.

I found my travel trailer heater dead when I brought it out of storage last year one month out of the second year warranty and Forest River had no problem fixing it thru the dealer.

I had trouble with the drive train on my vehicle shortly after it was out of warranty and the Ford Dealer looked it over and was more than pleased to assist with getting it covered thru warranty. Some dealers and manufacturers are just better than others.

As people say you get what you pay for. It might costs a little more dealing with a reputable dealer or manufacturer but it cost less in the end.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Director, FROG

For a contact list throughout Forest River's main divisions, go to

Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons.

This includes the RV divisions that fall slightly outside of the main Forest River umbrella, including Coachmen, Dynamax, Palomino, Prime Time, and Shasta.

For brands under Forest River go to

Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

or simply click the link for "Forest River RV" on the first page posted above. Select the type of RV that you have, then go to the brand.

This information is available on the new FROG website under the "CONTACTS" link.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Dahagen

I was a service center manager for two large electronic retailers for 20 years and here are a few tips if your warranty has expired. 1...Be polite. If you yell, threaten, curse, or demand anything, I will not help you. 2...Ask what the options are to get the repair at little or no cost. You may have to talk directly to the manufacturer. 3...Ask if there are any tech bulletins (not recalls) on the product. 4...Never say the problem existed from the day you bought the thing. I will say "Why didn't you notify me BEFORE the warranty expired. 5...If the word lawyer or lawsuit is mentioned we are done. Your lawyers can talk to the corporate lawyers.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Plan a trip to Goshen for the International Rally in August. The FR repair teams come to your unit and do the repairs (usually free). This years is sold-out but there is a waiting list. They closed registration at 700 units and I believe that all spots filled in less than a week. Check it out here: Forest River Owners Group Website
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

There is a recall on LCI power steps.

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #13

We had a problem with our rear slide out last summer. Took to Mike Thompsons as well and explained we needed a quick turnaround because of another planned trip in 3 weeks. We authorized expedited shipping. The rep there rarely responded to our calls until our motor home was "ready" for pickup 2 weeks later. Alas when we got there to pick up, the interior was a mess and the slide was still broken; parts hadn't even been ordered. That's when I contacted FR customer service; they contacted Mike Thompsons; assured expedited delivery of the part and, amazingly, our vehicle was repaired and ready for pick up (repaired) in 2 days. All under warranty and shipping was not charged to us. The rep was nowhere to be found when we picked it up. FR also provided us with alternative warranty repair sites because we will NOT be returning to Mike Thompsons for service ever.
Marty acevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
ARLO

We found a major problem while at the get together in Elkhart. FR arranged for our trailer to be picked up in Rochester, NY and taken back to the factory to be repaired. They had my TT for about 5 weeks and did a great job. They even went thru the unhit and repaired several other things that I did not even mention. Many KUDOS to FR.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

Marty,Same dealer crap out of WINDSOR LOCKS, CT,had to go to deal with Forest River directly the folks out in FR were top shelf bending over backwards helping out
[I]Forget the WINDSORS LOCKS,CT [COLOR="DimGray"]DIRTBAGS"
LOCOENGNR11 ("1"
WINDSOR LOCKS DIRTBAGS"0"
Stay tune more losses coming "DIRTBAGS
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I was a service center manager for two large electronic retailers for 20 years and here are a few tips if your warranty has expired. 1...Be polite. If you yell, threaten, curse, or demand anything, I will not help you. 2...Ask what the options are to get the repair at little or no cost. You may have to talk directly to the manufacturer. 3...Ask if there are any tech bulletins (not recalls) on the product. 4...Never say the problem existed from the day you bought the thing. I will say "Why didn't you notify me BEFORE the warranty expired. 5...If the word lawyer or lawsuit is mentioned we are done. Your lawyers can talk to the corporate lawyers.
Very sound advice from dahagen. If you're not getting satisfaction from your dealer (and we certainly hope and believe that most people are), you can contact the Warranty and Service department for your division. There are links to the contact information in my earlier post in this thread.

Are you going to get exactly what you want every time? No. But in most cases, the Forest River service reps are going to do whatever they can --within reason -- to assist you.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoengnr11 View Post
Marty,Same dealer crap out of WINDSOR LOCKS, CT,had to go to deal with Forest River directly the folks out in FR were top shelf bending over backwards helping out
I'm glad to hear that you got the help that you needed from Forest River. Putting the issues with the dealer behind you and avoiding the caps, bold type, and name-calling will probably do wonders for your blood pressure.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
All great points. So far MT has had the RV for about 1.5 weeks. They just called for the first time last night and asked for my extended warranty info as they have the work order and are ready to proceed. I politely asked if FR was going to cover anything and he simply said "no" so I proceeded to give him the info needed and he said he would get back to me after contacting the EW company.

I have since sent a never nice not last night to FR via the service contact us link.

We shall see.
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
Old 04-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #19
Director, FROG

I just re-read the original post. 3-year warranty?

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Does Georgetown even have a second year warranty?

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, repair, warranty