Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #1

Warranty Warning

I purchased my first new travel trailer last month, 2018 Rockwood Ultra lite 2304ds. I have owned six others over the years, but never new. I decided this time that I wouldn't deal with issues this time, wrong. We live in SE Ohio and purchased the unit in Muskegon Michigan. Right away we had a serious front window water leak.

Now for the Warranty problems.

I contacted a local FR dealer about the problem. First question, did you buy it here? They wouldn't look at it. We then contacted Rockwood and was informed that only the dealer that it is purchased from is obligated to make the repairs. I live 10 hours away from the dealer.

I was not informed by the sales person or the office manager about this. They both did take the time to attempt to sell us a very expensive extended warranty and exterior and interior surface protection. We didn't purchase either.

FR should be require dealers to inform buyers of this warranty practice. We basically don't have a warranty. Very poor way to start out with a new unit.
yukonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

If you read Forest Rivers web sites and brochures it recommends that you buy from a local dealer.....................................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Hire an Authorized local mobile tech to do the warranty repairs, pay him and get reimbursed from Forest River.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Hire an Authorized local mobile tech to do the warranty repairs, pay him and get reimbursed from Forest River.
But get an authorization FIRST.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
If you read Forest Rivers web sites and brochures it recommends that you buy from a local dealer.....................................
Yes sir and this is the exact reason. Typically dealers take care of their customers first (bought new form them) then they take care of paying customers then they take care of new units not purchased from them if they have left over time/room. I wont get into the discussion of this being right or wrong, it is just how it is. You do have a warranty it will just be more work on your part to utilize it.

This is the biggest proponent of buying local, your story is not unfamiliar here, sometimes even if you spend a few dollars more to buy local it can be worth it in situations like this. I would keep trying the local shop and maybe ask if they have an opening down the road, or take it back to the dealer you purchased from, even at 10 hours away that is still closer/sooner than the local dealer who wont look at it.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Team

I suggest contact FR Inc again and ask for a list of dealers that would be willing to work on your unit. In reading other threads several members here had good luck with doing this.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

I contacted Forest River over a week ago, for a non warranty issue, via their email link online and have still not received a reply as of today. I suggest using all methods of contact.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #8

How far away from RV Wholesalers? They seem to be willing to help. Dave Durnell is on here often...he is one of the owners.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Warranty Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonwolf View Post
I purchased my first new travel trailer last month, 2018 Rockwood Ultra lite 2304ds. I have owned six others over the years, but never new. I decided this time that I wouldn't deal with issues this time, wrong. We live in SE Ohio and purchased the unit in Muskegon Michigan. Right away we had a serious front window water leak.

Now for the Warranty problems.

I contacted a local FR dealer about the problem. First question, did you buy it here? They wouldn't look at it. We then contacted Rockwood and was informed that only the dealer that it is purchased from is obligated to make the repairs. I live 10 hours away from the dealer.

I was not informed by the sales person or the office manager about this. They both did take the time to attempt to sell us a very expensive extended warranty and exterior and interior surface protection. We didn't purchase either.

FR should be require dealers to inform buyers of this warranty practice. We basically don't have a warranty. Very poor way to start out with a new unit.

How close are you to Mansfield Ohio? I know Tom at Surburban RV Center will take care of you.

He started out as just a repair facility then started selling them. They are great people to work with.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Right away we had a serious front window water leak.
short of the window frame being broken, I would try to deal with that leak myself... probably needs some caulk applied?

Look at this from the dealer's point of view...

this is their busiest time of year, as opposed to the holidays... sales drive service, that meaning their service department is busy doing pre-delivery and post-delivery repairs to units that they have sold or are trying to sell. Many minor repairs are not-reimbursable as warranty repairs by FR, but need to be done anyway for customer relations.

Possibly if you had approached this dealership in December the response may have been different.

Chances are your selling dealer would have you drive up, drop the trailer for 2+ weeks, then when you return find the repair was not done properly.

But again, FIRST, I strongly suggest that you get familiar with and do minor repair work on your trailer. You will be happier and you will save time and frustration with non-performance from many, many dealers, whose crappy service stories we read about daily on this forum.

Good luck... post photos of your problem if necessary and get pointers from your fellow owners about fixing your problem.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty