Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #21

And should you buy far from your home and still feel like any major warranty repairs need to be made by the selling dealer, you'll be in a pickle when any of those warranty repairs poop out after a few weeks or months. The dealer might say "bring it back" but you'll not trust them by then and want to waste the time.

While leaving our MH 2000 miles from home at a RV dealer for a minor repair and storage, I added a number of non-essential repairs figuring it was there...why not. That was a mistake when several requested repairs were found to not be working correctly once we were many miles back down the road...and not coming back.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Please forgive me if I drew that conclusion incorrectly.
That was how I read your two posts since you were quick to point out how you don't get paid.

Good on you (and your dealership) if you do.
That’s how I read it too. I guess he just means they don’t fix it before the purchase.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #23

We purchased our unit from a local dealer and glad we did.

Great folks to deal with......
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
We purchased our unit from a local dealer and glad we did.

Great folks to deal with......
Out of curiosity, did you feel you could have saved a lot of money if you'd purchased from a far away "Internet Dealer"?

When I purchased my 2018 TT I certainly didn't.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrv View Post
Just want to clarify one of your statements, Forrest River nor any other manufacturer pays us (Dealer) to inspect/PDI, (Pre Delivery Inspection) an RV when we receive it. A PDI on a travel trailer takes three hours to perform. Repairs/adjustments are not performed during the PDI. Repair/adjustments are performed on a warranty work order. At our Dealership the PDI is done before you receive an Orientation at delivery time with a Technician.

Hope you have smooth sailing with your new camper.
Thanks... so far so good!

As far as the dealer inspecting, I got that info from FR. When we were at the dealer ready to purchase and I had a phone con with the customer svc rep at FR regarding the issues we saw, she told me that dealers are supposed to inspect units upon delivery, document any issues and submit a claim to have them repaired prior to putting the unit on the lot for sale, and said that FR gives them (dealers) an allowance for X hours of labor (I think she said 5) to do so. But considering the dealer we bought from didn't take time to even tidy the unit up before we arrived, who knows.
Nancy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #26

Why would the dealer (you) do that?

Quote:
Just want to clarify one of your statements, Forrest River nor any other manufacturer pays us (Dealer) to inspect/PDI, (Pre Delivery Inspection) an RV when we receive it. A PDI on a travel trailer takes three hours to perform. Repairs/adjustments are not performed during the PDI. Repair/adjustments are performed on a warranty work order. At our Dealership the PDI is done before you receive an Orientation at delivery time with a Technician.

Hope you have smooth sailing with your new camper.
This seems very strange. You get a unit in with flaws. You know you're going to have to fix them. Why not fix them before a customer sees them and you have to rush it into the shop ahead of other jobs? Why not fix it as soon as you can, so the customer gets a pristine unit.

The only possible reason I can see for waiting for the customer to identify the flaws you know are there is to hope he takes the unit and doesn't notice them. Surely you wouldn't do that, would you?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
. . .
As for me? I like my "Warranty Repairman". He's always there when I need him. It's ME. I was real picky when I took delivery and things I noticed were corrected before I hauled my TT away. Only issue since then was a $20 part I had shipped to me at my expense. Less than the gas to tow the TT to the Dealer.

Chasing around to dealers hundreds of miles away makes no sense to me when I think of all the time, fuel, and aggravation.
I’m like TitanMike. In the RV world, I consider new RVs to be “fixer uppers” and sold “as is”. I plan on doing all my warranty work. I don’t want some dealer’s shop boys touching my stuff anyway.

I have enjoyed one benefit from buying local. I send the dealer a photo of a warranty issue, and I get the parts for free, then install them myself. But, they’ve all been lower cost parts and it wouldn’t make much difference if I bought the warranty parts myself anyway. At least I know the labor gets done right, by ME.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #28

Chasing around to dealers hundreds of miles away makes no sense to me when I think of all the time, fuel, and aggravation.[/QUOTE]

X2 it just makes sense to make also
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshenygo View Post
Chasing around to dealers hundreds of miles away makes no sense to me when I think of all the time, fuel, and aggravation.
X2 it just makes sense to make also[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, but we wanted a toy hauler that would work with the tow capacity of the truck we already have, with the accommodations and features we wanted and at a reasonable price and this unit checked pretty much all of the boxes. Toy haulers are scarce in our area; no one within a reasonable distance had this model, and although we found a couple of other models we really liked, they were just too heavy. So in the end, the time spent (mostly on the phone and scouring the internet) and the minor expense of traveling to a couple of places and ultimately to OH saved us the thousands it would've cost to either upgarde our vehicle or special order the unit we were looking for.

The only issue we had was getting warranty repairs made in the 1st year - and that was primarily due to our own naivety as 1st time buyers, not being aware of how that works - and FR not explaining how it really works despite my numerous conversations with them and my local dealer before purchasing. Hind sight is always 20/20. No regrets buying out of state, though. We got a GREAT deal.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I’m like TitanMike. In the RV world, I consider new RVs to be “fixer uppers” and sold “as is”. I plan on doing all my warranty work. I don’t want some dealer’s shop boys touching my stuff anyway.

I have enjoyed one benefit from buying local. I send the dealer a photo of a warranty issue, and I get the parts for free, then install them myself. But, they’ve all been lower cost parts and it wouldn’t make much difference if I bought the warranty parts myself anyway. At least I know the labor gets done right, by ME.
That's a great gig! We're beyond the 1st year warranty and don't have an extended, so anything that needs fixing we either do ourselves or pay someone else to if it's beyond us. So far it's only been a couple of minor things here and there such as replacing a cheap bathroom faucet. In your opinion though, do you think an extended warranty is worth it and, if so, who would you recommend?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #31

We had a Platinum XtraRide policy. It worked perfectly, every time, all over the country. Its the only policy I continue to see good reviews about.
We definitely got our $$$ worth over the six year policy period.
We try and fix most everything ourselves, but some repairs are beyond us, or we are on the road and time/tool limited. We had, and still have, all our work done by service only independents. All but one got the pre-approval themselves and all we had to do was pay a $50 deductible per visit (not per repair).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy O View Post
That's a great gig! We're beyond the 1st year warranty and don't have an extended, so anything that needs fixing we either do ourselves or pay someone else to if it's beyond us. So far it's only been a couple of minor things here and there such as replacing a cheap bathroom faucet. In your opinion though, do you think an extended warranty is worth it and, if so, who would you recommend?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #32

Quote:
I have never purchased an extended warranty in my life, and I definitely never will.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #33

Quote:
In my opinion extended warranties are merely extra profit items for the Dealers.

If you were to add up all the revenue from the sale of these extended warranties and then subtract all the money actually paid out for repairs, you'll see why they're sold.

I refuse to buy ANY extended warranty regardless of it being for an automobile, trailer, household appliance, computer, etc.

Extra diligence during the factory warranty period minimizes most, if not all, future warranty issues. Also, too many people find out that the exclusions often outnumber the items actually covered.

Some benefit but then again, some actually win when throwing the dice at the craps table too. Like "Harry Callahan" said in the movies "Do You Feel Lucky--------?"

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Out of curiosity, did you feel you could have saved a lot of money if you'd purchased from a far away "Internet Dealer"?

When I purchased my 2018 TT I certainly didn't.
I really can't say. We had a trade-in and I felt they gave us a good deal even after looking around on-line. I was willing to pay extra anyway because I like to support our local economy as much as I can.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #35

Quote:

I got the clear impression from my civil but tense email exchanges with FR over getting reimbursed for this claim that FR really doesn’t care much about us, the owners. She all but said that in one of the emails:

"The dealers are privately owned businesses that look at Forest River as a vendor to buy wholesale product from.
We don’t have any control over their businesses and the policies for warranty are in place to benefit the dealers because those are our customers...."
There's a lot in this thread I find disturbing, but the main thing is a Forest River employee stating in writing to the OP that the dealers are their customers. Excuse me, but as the retail purchaser I'm the customer. Sure, the dealer is paying FR for the unit, but I'm paying the dealer and without me no dealer and no Forest River.
I just purchased a black Friday Shark vacuum from retailer Kohls. In the box is a notice (I'm sure you have all seen something similar) that if there are any problems to contact Shark and they will make it right. Shark obviously considers me a customer even though they sold the vacuum to Kohls.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #36
Retired

Quote:
Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, you are not the first to have this same situation (there are other posts on several forums saying the same) but hopefully your findings will help the next one looking to buy.

New owners take note and do your due diligence when buying.

Also, mobile techs are looking better and better for those who want to go elsewhere to save a buck when buying instead of buying local and getting the service done there.

I have always said... finding the right dealer is often as important as finding the right R/V.

[emoji106]
Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #37

I just ordered a new coach. I am not planning on an extended warranty this time. pained thousands for the on my last two trucks and on the MH. Used once for a $200 repair. I plan to keep the money invested and take my chances paying for anything that exceeds the deductible, should it occur. These companies are in business to make money. The reason they offer these extended warranties is they know most people never have to use them, thus windfall profits for the warranty company. The other advantage is I don't have to wait for approval. My only question is how soon can you get it fixed. Happy Camping!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
This seems very strange. You get a unit in with flaws. You know you're going to have to fix them. Why not fix them before a customer sees them and you have to rush it into the shop ahead of other jobs? Why not fix it as soon as you can, so the customer gets a pristine unit.

The only possible reason I can see for waiting for the customer to identify the flaws you know are there is to hope he takes the unit and doesn't notice them. Surely you wouldn't do that, would you?
I think a lot of confusion surrounds terminology and what it means to a dealer and what it means to the customer. When a new unit arrives the sales dept. does a quick look over of the unit to make sure there are not any evident flaws and that the ordered options are on it. If we see loose trim etc. of course we are going to fix that before we put it on our lot for sale. These fixes would be performed under a warranty claim.

Sold to us is when a customer wants the trailer. Sold to you is when you pick it up. PDI is done before the customer takes delivery,(at my dealership this is after an intent to buy agreement is in place) needed repairs/adjustments are taken care of before the customer takes delivery. On the day of pick up the customer receives an Orientation with a Technician.

PDI is not done before an agreement to purchase is in place. Ever go out to your camper and find something not working even though it did last time you went out? An RV can sit on our lot for one day or six months before a customer wants it. If we did the PDI when we received it, we might find problems during the Orientation and we want the Orientation to go smoothly with everything working and correct.

Once again, there is no $ allowance from Forest River to a dealer for performing a PDI nor for checking the unit in. I know it doesn't matter to you the customer, nor should it. I just want people to know that the cost of the PDI is totally on the dealer. PDI is not the warranty repairs either. PDI is only the inspection of the units systems and overall condition to identify any needed repairs or adjustments. A PDI can take anywhere from 3 - 5 hours depending on the complexity of the unit. Any deficiencies are repaired under a warranty claim.

I have just tried to explain how it works as I consistently see posts with comments about what Forest River pays the dealer for with incorrect information along with what a dealership does or doesn't do.
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I think a lot of confusion surrounds terminology and what it means to a dealer and what it means to the customer. When a new unit arrives the sales dept. does a quick look over of the unit to make sure there are not any evident flaws and that the ordered options are on it. If we see loose trim etc. of course we are going to fix that before we put it on our lot for sale. These fixes would be performed under a warranty claim.

Sold to us is when a customer wants the trailer. Sold to you is when you pick it up. PDI is done before the customer takes delivery,(at my dealership this is after an intent to buy agreement is in place) needed repairs/adjustments are taken care of before the customer takes delivery. On the day of pick up the customer receives an Orientation with a Technician.

PDI is not done before an agreement to purchase is in place. Ever go out to your camper and find something not working even though it did last time you went out? An RV can sit on our lot for one day or six months before a customer wants it. If we did the PDI when we received it, we might find problems during the Orientation and we want the Orientation to go smoothly with everything working and correct.

Once again, there is no $ allowance from Forest River to a dealer for performing a PDI nor for checking the unit in. I know it doesn't matter to you the customer, nor should it. I just want people to know that the cost of the PDI is totally on the dealer. PDI is not the warranty repairs either. PDI is only the inspection of the units systems and overall condition to identify any needed repairs or adjustments. A PDI can take anywhere from 3 - 5 hours depending on the complexity of the unit. Any deficiencies are repaired under a warranty claim.

I have just tried to explain how it works as I consistently see posts with comments about what Forest River pays the dealer for with incorrect information along with what a dealership does or doesn't do.
Thanks for taking the time to give us your perspective and that of your dealership. I really am glad to see some dealer folks on the forum.

In my perspective, not fixing items on a unit for sale until a signed 'intent to buy' agreement is in place is bad business regardless of how you get 'paid' for the repairs.

If I go to two different dealers looking to buy, with each having the exact same unit and the first one tells me "we've gone over this unit and addressed everything we came across, we hope you find it in satisfactory condition"... and the second dealer tells me "we haven't gone over this unit but promise to fix anything you find that needs addressed"... which one do you think I'm going to put more stock in for my decision making.

Are dealers so busy they can't take time be sure the product they are selling is actually in sale-able condition? If they are, maybe they need to rethink their business model. And, you did admit you do get paid to fix stuff.

I would seriously hope NO ONE would make an 'intent to buy' agreement during the shopping process so if for no other reason, by taking the list of items that needed addressing out of the potential customer's sight, (by addressing them BEFORE that potential customer sees them) it would lead to the customer believing they are getting a better product (and better service) over one that might have a list of things that won't get fixed until I say I'm going to buy it. To me, that screams TURN AND RUN!

I have always put more faith in (and given more money to) folks who are proactive rather than reactive.

These are simply my opinions and what I look for in a dealer and they are worth exactly my 2˘.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to give us your perspective and that of your dealership. I really am glad to see some dealer folks on the forum.

In my perspective, not fixing items on a unit for sale until a signed 'intent to buy' agreement is in place is bad business regardless of how you get 'paid' for the repairs.

If I go to two different dealers looking to buy, with each having the exact same unit and the first one tells me "we've gone over this unit and addressed everything we came across, we hope you find it in satisfactory condition"... and the second dealer tells me "we haven't gone over this unit but promise to fix anything you find that needs addressed"... which one do you think I'm going to put more stock in for my decision making.

Are dealers so busy they can't take time be sure the product they are selling is actually in sale-able condition? If they are, maybe they need to rethink their business model. And, you did admit you do get paid to fix stuff.

I would seriously hope NO ONE would make an 'intent to buy' agreement during the shopping process so if for no other reason, by taking the list of items that needed addressing out of the potential customer's sight, (by addressing them BEFORE that potential customer sees them) it would lead to the customer believing they are getting a better product (and better service) over one that might have a list of things that won't get fixed until I say I'm going to buy it. To me, that screams TURN AND RUN!

I have always put more faith in (and given more money to) folks who are proactive rather than reactive.

These are simply my opinions and what I look for in a dealer and they are worth exactly my 2˘.
I still must not be making this clear. We don't rely at all on the customer finding anything on the unit. How in the world would the customer find problems with the AC system, the furnace, the propane system and on and on while they are looking at a unit on the sales lot. We find it and fix it.

Customers are not the ones that should have to look for any defects in a new unit Again, if we did the PDI and repairs when it came in we would have to do the PDI all over again before we do an Orientation with the customer as we would not trust that everything works from possibly six months ago. Things happen on the lot. Little hands play with knobs and believe it or not adults break things and even steal parts!

We think we have a pretty good system that delivers a product to our customers with little chance of a problem when they have their Orientation and go on a trip. Try as we may, we can't please everyone.
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty