Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

Washer and dryer pros and cons

Trading in our fifth wheel, our next 5th comes with washer dryer hook ups....what are your opinions are there problems?
sjglowac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Our next camper will have the washer/dryer hook up too. We were not going to get one, only because we never had one. For short trips 1 week or less, it is not worth it, but for longer trips it may be worth it. I was away for a whole month and was trekking to the laundry mat every 3 days to do towels and clothes. That was 2 hours each time out of my vacationing. My friend had one and did a load a night, and was free all day. It will save money in the long run. The washer/dryer combo (all in one machine) takes about 3 hours per load I am told. The separate machines may take less time and can run 2 loads at a time. I think I will get the combo machine because then I will keep some closet space above it. It is a lot to think about!
NY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

How do you winterize a washer? Guess you have to run a cycle with antifreeze? Or do you blow out the lines?
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

A washer/dryer is a rather expensive option.

Ours was about $1500 installed.

However, it makes laundry a no big deal. Wife loves coming home with clean clothes. Priceless to me. One load 2 days a week. Usually at cocktail time. We take one 5-8 week trip, one week trip and a weekend or two.

If momma is happy, we are all happy.

Winterization is no big deal. Just adds another step to winterization.

Treat the whole system then set the washer to drain. A couple of minutes. Easy. In the instructions with the washer.

Just a rather pricey option for most.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

We have Ariston separates and are very happy, the only "con" is you have to be on full hookups, 30 Amp service is plenty. When it comes to combo units that's a different story, especially ventless W/D's, we had one years ago and I can not recommend going that route, they are extremely slow and only wash very, very small loads.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

I love my washer and dryer. My 5vr has enough space to include a nice size closet.
After shower I throw my towel in dryer. No towels hanging around shower drying.
If I have a shirt which needs wrinkles removed, quick toss in the dryer.
When at the beach come home each night and wash out all the sand and relax at campsite. No waiting around campground laundromats.
We recently took a 3 month trip, I was able to do laundry on my schedule.
In our case we do need full hookup for more than one load. Lastly, I’m a bit of a germaphobe I know who’s laundry was washed there. Don’t know if it’s possible but, acquiring bed bugs from the laundry scares me.
In my opinion if you are making short trips no.
Long trips yes
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #7

My Cedar Creek has the washer/dryer closet downstairs. I installed a stacked washer/dryer and we don’t like it. I wish I had the storage closet back.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Curiouser and Curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My Cedar Creek has the washer/dryer closet downstairs. I installed a stacked washer/dryer and we don’t like it. I wish I had the storage closet back.
Spock, I am interested in what you don't like about having a washer and dryer inside your RV.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #9

That's a good question! Wondering about the residential refrigerator with icemaker too. Going to research that on YouTube.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Spock, I am interested in what you don't like about having a washer and dryer inside your RV.

It’s in our living room/ kitchen area, it’s loud and shackles the camper. If it was upstairs in the bedroom it would be better but ours is downstairs.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Girl View Post
That's a good question! Wondering about the residential refrigerator with icemaker too. Going to research that on YouTube.

We love our residential refrigerator with ice maker. We have four six volt Trojans to power the refrigerator when on the road
Old 09-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #12

I agree with Okie Dokie 100%. We had a washer and dryer in our last 5th wheel and loved it. We didn't use it every day or all the time, but when we did it was priceless. It just made things so much easier for the wife, enough said!!!!! Hope this helps.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #13

We had a vented combo unit installed in our fiver. It was a little expensive but on long trips it will save a lot of time looking for laundry facilities and wasting time waiting for the washers and dryers to complete their cycles. Now we just put in the dirty clothes in the washer while we tend to other camping activities and 90 minutes later the clothes are ready to be put away. And as others have said, the wife really likes it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #14

Our only experience is with the washer/dryer combo that came in the RV. True, the loads are small, but I love having it.

Since it was already installed, the operation costs are way lower than a coin-operated laundry, even taking into consideration the smaller loads.

When we're camping out west in dry climates, I sometimes wash more clothes in the wash cycle and take some out (prior to the drying cycle) to hang dry overnight in the shower.

I have come to believe I could handle a much smaller RV. But I don't want to be without the washer/dryer!
Letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #15

I know what you mean when you say about handling a smaller camper, but we seem to buy bigger these days! We just purchased a new RV, Cedar Creek Silverback 37RTH! It is longer than my house! We pick it up next week. It is no longer camping or even glamping... it is relocating.

It is prepped for washer/dryer. I would so love to get one, but finding they are expensive and we are now out of money! Lol! Maybe in a few years!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #16

The 110 volt dryer and small loads and noise. We can visit a campground with laundry and a couple of hours have all the laundry finished. If we had a bigger camper with the washer/dryer up front it would be better.