Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
WI Sports Nut

Washing at Truck Wash? Recommended or Not?

Anybody have any recommendations on using a truck wash or similar for their motorhome? Just got mine and I am wondering what the best practices are for washing! Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

I used a Blue Beacon once. They blew water through my window seal and I won't use them again unless desperate. That was a cross country trip and I did happen to be desperate. I usually wash it myself.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

I have used Blue Beacon on several occasions for our 5er with good luck. I plan on visiting this weekend for a was actually.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

I have used Blue Beacon in the past with mixed results. Last time they used the pressure wand too close and blew off some paint. Cost $1500 to have it fixed. Tell them to spray from at least 12" so as not to destroy your paint or decals. They did NOT accept responsibility for what they did to my paint. My 5th wheel is full paint, no decals.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Used blue beacon on TT.. blew some decals off on the front. Reported it and it went to corporate. Response came back 'per our policy......' Well, they didn't have those policies posted anywhere for the customer to see!!!! I challenged that point with them and they finally resolved to refund my money,... OTHERWISE, a great wash.
and they have (or at least at the Ann Arbor location) a number of cameras. That footage went to corporate when i initially filed the complaint at the location. Local isn't able to do any adjustments.. so. buyer beware!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

We use this stuff: Aircraft RV Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies

Saw it demo'ed at the Goshen FROG Rally 2 years ago, bought the kit at the rally and have never regretted it.

Takes me @ 45 min to completely do our Coach (1st time will take longer but once the polymer coating builds up it goes quicker). After 1-2 applications bugs will hardly stick to your front cap
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

I have used Blue Beacon for years, i just ask them to be careful with their high pressure wands. I am not washing my 5er by hand it is to large
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #8

Blue Beacon and GREAT Product

We have a '14 390RB Berkshire and have traveled through many bug-infested states over the last two years--like many of you have as well. I have used Blue Beacon in any number of states with excellent results. Maybe 10 times total. BUT, whatever you do, tell the attending manager to have his folks stay about a foot away from the coach AND make sure you pay the extra for the RainEx treatment or you'll regret spending the other money on the wash--trust me--I didn't do that once in AZ and it took me two days of VERY hard work getting all the water spots off. With the RainEx--very minor ones that can be handled in less that 20 minutes.
BamaBob is 100% about the WashWax product. It is the most amazing product I have ever seen. Used to wax my unit with Mother's twice a year and it took me about 6 hours of rather hard work to wax unit--each time. Discovered WashWax at the FROG rally in Goshen two years ago as well and have used it on just about everything one could think of. BamaBob is also correct about applying it to the front of your unit--bugs come off 1/2 the effort--if that. I have tossed all my wax products and now use only this product. Also great in campgrounds that do not allow washing if RV's--can use this instead.
BTW, as I educated myself about this product, it was worth the time to do research on the difference between wax and polish--can be a huge difference as well as effect how your unit looks.
GO BUCKS!
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Don't do it. The chemicals used at a truck are made to clean truck and will damage fiberglass RV exteriors.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Blue Beacon works fine for us...and yes...get the Rainex. Used lots of times with zero problems in multiple locations around the country. Gonna try BamaBob's suggestion though to bring the gloss back higher.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Don't do it. The chemicals used at a truck are made to clean truck and will damage fiberglass RV exteriors.
I would agree, my daughter dated a fellow who worked at the Beacon truck stop near Elkton, Md. He told me they used a diluted solution of Hydroflouric acid which could do some bad things to gel coat and fiberglass finishes. It might clean the big semi's real good not sure I would want it for my RV though!
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Blue Beacon works for me, my Cedar Creek was awful dirty and Blue Beacon did a fantastic job for me. I had them put Rainx on. $51 bucks and worth every penny

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #13

While they may use other stuff on trucks:

"Protects Your Investment
Blue Beacon uses only warm, soapy water for all recreational vehicle washing. When you include regular washing in your maintenance program, you not only reduce corrosion, you're adding value to your RV and Motorcoach equipment at trade-in-time. To protect your paint from fading and give it a high gloss shine, try our new WeatherShield™ or RainX® Complete paint protectants.:

(Upon customer request only, we will use our exclusive citrushine™ product, which is a mild citric acid solution; safe for all paint, aluminum and chrome finishes. We can also use our exclusive brightener product on your aluminum wheels, but again we do so only at customer request.)"

Source: RV Benefits
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

We paid two guys that have a mobile auto washing business to wash our MH right on our driveway. Paid $80.00 and it included them wiping down the inside cab and windows, too.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #15

We use Blue Beacon all the time. Been great for us.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #16

I wash big rigs there at times (Tractor trailers). Truckers refer to the Blue Beacon as the 'Streak'in Beacon' for good reason. Minimum wage employees do minimal wash jobs...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #17

RV Wash

We stayed at Orangewood RV park in Orange CA and while walking the dog I saw some guys washing an RV. They were doing a great job as far as I could see. There was a guy up on the roof washing it down and the other guy washing the sides. I asked the guy how much, he asked how long is the RV and I said 36 ft he said $80.00. So I said please wash mine. He said he could do it next week, darn we would be gone by then.

Now at another RV park in AZ, walking the dog there are guys washing a RV, we were only staying 2 nights so I just kept walking. I am thinking this is more common with parks having an arrangement with RV washers.

If my RV needs a wash and I be camping in a RV park I will be asking if they have someone that washes RVs and make an appointment if the price is right.

I used Blue Beacon once and was not impressed with the results, but it was entertaining to watch 6 or 8 people attack the job, they are fast.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
Site Team

Using a large vehicle wash facility can be OK IF done properly. The problem occurs when you have an inexperienced operator who is not familiar with RV's. The power washers that most of these places use will remove decals, lift caulk and damage window seals. In addition if the proper washing solution is not used it can damage the exterior finish. Most truck stops do not put their highly skilled diesel mechanics in the wash bay. Bottom line, you can not make a general recommendation for or against as it is totally dependent on the facility and the person operating the equipment the day you are there. .

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #19

Washing at Truck Wash? Recommended or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjoe3 View Post
We stayed at Orangewood RV park in Orange CA and while walking the dog I saw some guys washing an RV. They were doing a great job as far as I could see. There was a guy up on the roof washing it down and the other guy washing the sides. I asked the guy how much, he asked how long is the RV and I said 36 ft he said $80.00. So I said please wash mine. He said he could do it next week, darn we would be gone by then.

Now at another RV park in AZ, walking the dog there are guys washing a RV, we were only staying 2 nights so I just kept walking. I am thinking this is more common with parks having an arrangement with RV washers.

If my RV needs a wash and I be camping in a RV park I will be asking if they have someone that washes RVs and make an appointment if the price is right.

I used Blue Beacon once and was not impressed with the results, but it was entertaining to watch 6 or 8 people attack the job, they are fast.

Your quote for $80.00 for your 36' was a great deal! Considering that's what I paid to wash our 22', without the top, once again I got the "South Orange County Price". I am really sick of that. Because of our zip code we get "special higher prices". Next time I will climb on a ladder and do it myself.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #20

The campground I'm staying at for work charges $10 for a truck and $15 for a trailer, and you have to do the washing yourself.

You pay for the privilege of washing your stuff.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck