Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #1

Water and sewage at a remote property with no hook up.

Tying to get an idea here.

Long story short my wife does not want to keep our camper at the house anymore. Leave it at that. I have found 10-15 acre properties with a lease to own option that is not much more than a quality storage spot but they are 2-2.5 hours away and have no hook ups. No electric within 5 miles also it’s in an area that we love to camp in anyway.

What am I getting my self into getting a campsite and a water and sewer setup going. I can run the whole trailer off my generator and maybe some solar.

Realistically what are my options for water and sewer. It is 5-6 miles down a forest service road.

My thoughts are I can put in a water tank on an elevated hill. Us a large plastic tank that fits in the truck to refil it when needed. Like two matching 159 gallon tanks. One in the ground and one that I keep on site and can put in the truck or hell I could use 3 food grade barrels . I doubt I could get any sort of water service. But I can make do as long as feezing doesn’t become an issue.

Black water is what has me concerned. I don’t think I will be able to get septic in the near future. What are my options?

I have heard of people port a potty service to dump into but I doubt they would service the location.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #2

Lease to own 10-15 acres just for storage close to where you like to Camp,why would you want to invest Lots of $$$$$ for this? Trucking in Water/trucking Out Black Water/trucking in Fuel for Genny plus Storing all of the Containers needed for this Transportation Nightmare! To drill a well and septic system (If Allowed by Code) will also be very Costly $$$$$! With NO Guarantees of WATER! More Secure storage may be in order! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Team

You've kinda got the fresh water figured out. I might get a bladder that sits in the bed of the truck to haul it in and then a 12 volt water pump to transfer it from the bladder to the tank(s).

As for the black water I'd get a large tote and sit it in the bed of the truck and use a macerator to empty the onboard holding tank into the waste tote and transport that to a dumping station if you don't have access to a sanitary sewer cleanout at home.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Outhouse. Problem solved.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
Site Team

You can get an outside composting toilet to use while you decide. My bigger concern would be security. Based on your description, it seems like your TT would be a prime target for someone wanting to take it for a hunting lodge or remote drug lab.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lease to own 10-15 acres just for storage close to where you like to Camp,why would you want to invest Lots of $$$$$ for this? Trucking in Water/trucking Out Black Water/trucking in Fuel for Genny plus Storing all of the Containers needed for this Transportation Nightmare! To drill a well and septic system (If Allowed by Code) will also be very Costly $$$$$! With NO Guarantees of WATER! More Secure storage may be in order! Youroo!!
I don’t plan on invest in lots of money on it. It’s a lease to own with a 15 year term that is around $175 a month with discounts for paying it off early. Think more of owner financed sale. The genny uses 5 gallons of gas running the ac did a weekend that’s not a concern. I can store the containers in a shed on-site.

It’s not the campsite in the area we like it’s the area we like and I can hunt from there.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyboy View Post
Outhouse. Problem solved.
While I agree my wife surely does not. The outhouse situation is half the reason why Ian a trailer instead of still tent camping.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Might be cheaper to just buy a new house with more property so that you can park the camper out of sight from the kitchen window!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You can get an outside composting toilet to use while you decide. My bigger concern would be security. Based on your description, it seems like your TT would be a prime target for someone wanting to take it for a hunting lodge or remote drug lab.
Security is one of my biggest concerns. But the way I see it it is no bigger concern there than it is in my subdivision. We had 6 diesel trucks stolen from my subdivision during the night while the owners were home. All within the same week. Al you can do is slow a Thief down.

As far as security on site the remoteness of the site would be both good and bad. It’s 6 miles down a gravel forest service road that I’m not sure how I would pass someone. There are 10 other lots about the same size in the “ development”. Other than that is sourounded by mark twain National forest, a private 500 acre conservation area. And 20 minutes from anything.

In my mind I have the idea of having the campsite set up 4-500 feet away from the road giving it plenty of trees between it andanywhere someone can see it. Same cables through the wheels and a anchor point to chain the axlesvto the ground is all I can do other than tongue locks.

I don’t know. I’m just trying to get opinions at this time
Old 11-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

Composting toilet and freshwater tank or bladder in the truck bed - problem solved.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

Composting toilet in the camper, not in the truck bed obviously
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Might be cheaper to just buy a new house with more property so that you can park the camper out of sight from the kitchen window!

While that is also in my todo list it is not very likely to happen in the next 4 years. Need to pay off some toys first and moving farther from her Sick father isn’t the thing to do right now.

For me to get a 15 acre lot with a home on it, assuming I can sell my house for what the bank says it’s worth, it would require 40 minutes additional commute with an increase in mortgage amount of around 100k. This property is 22k with an owner finance/ lease to own option.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I don’t plan on invest in lots of money on it. It’s a lease to own with a 15 year term that is around $175 a month with discounts for paying it off early. Think more of owner financed sale. The genny uses 5 gallons of gas running the ac did a weekend that’s not a concern. I can store the containers in a shed on-site.

It’s not the campsite in the area we like it’s the area we like and I can hunt from there.
I was not concerned about storage of all the containers while you are at the Remote area,I was thinking about all the containers,(Water/Black Sewage/Gas) that you have to Take Home for Dump and Refill! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I guess the worst part of this could be packing up for a camping and hunting trip only to arrive at your lot to find a missing or vandalized trailer awaiting your arrival.

I have friends who have a nice spot in the mountains west of Denver, Colorado and they have two TT's.

One for going camping...the other they leave on their lot.

However, there are several other RV's parked around there all year long and this place has a caretaker (split up a piece of their large mountain property to sell to RV'ers) that lives in a house nearby to keep an eye on things.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I was not concerned about storage of all the containers while you are at the Remote area,I was thinking about all the containers,(Water/Black Sewage/Gas) that you have to Take Home for Dump and Refill! Youroo!!
Sorry should have been more clear. My plan is to get water and dump locally. There is a state park with a $10 dump fee 45 min away and a national park with an unknown fee 30 minutes away.

Even if I have to build s $509 dollar trailer with a black tank and fresh tank that I have to take there every day we normally would have to pack up and head home early to get the camper in the subdivision, I feel like I would be coming out ahead.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
Always Learning

My buddy took a Harbor Fraight trailer and put an IBC tank/tote on top. On the bottom, he fitted a 3” sewer valve to it. The whole setup is slick and he can dump tanks into it quite easily.

Aquatank has a 100+ gallon bladder for fresh water. You can take up the whole truck bed with that. Or, another food grade tank and just wire up a pump to it.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #17

Might be a little more expensive but...
New wife maybe?...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #18

Well let’s see, $31,500 ($175 x 180) for a piece of land that is in a remote location that you can park your trailer on. You’ll have to haul in all your belongings, food, water and fuel. You’ll have to haul out your waste materials. Probably have to build some kind of contraption to do that with (just don’t mix up the tanks). Then you’ll have to constantly fight with mice and other critters (including the 2 legged kind that will also find your little party shack) that will see your nice trailer has an excellent home for them as well.

I think you should go for it. Who wouldn’t want a deal like that.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
Sorry should have been more clear. My plan is to get water and dump locally. There is a state park with a $10 dump fee 45 min away and a national park with an unknown fee 30 minutes away.

Even if I have to build s $509 dollar trailer with a black tank and fresh tank that I have to take there every day we normally would have to pack up and head home early to get the camper in the subdivision, I feel like I would be coming out ahead.
Sounds like you've decided what is feasible.

Are you concerned about the cost of the property, security, or that you are not going to have the time to camp?

Hauling water can be a pain, but only you can determine if it's going to be worth the time and effort. As others have said, if you're out in the country, a composting toilet makes sense and depending on local laws, you may be able to dump the grey water on the property. They make sewer caps you can attach a hose to to dump grey water only. We do that on some private property we camp on where the hosts want their trees watered. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T1...+for+rv+camper

Your main problem is probably going to be electricity, but a cooler with lots of ice can solve your refridgeration problem and lanterns with solar or batteries can solve the lighting problem.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #20

If outhouses are allowed then just build one. Then run a piece of 3" sewer pipe from outhouse to where you park your trailer. Dump tank as necessary. No more "load" on the outhouse than if you invited a bunch of friends for a weekend BBQ, drinking, party

As for gray water, may be legal to use it for "Irrigation". Often OK to discharge into perforated pipe buried to a specified depth, much like the leach field for a septic tank. Gray water doesn't contain the same solids as Black.

If considering the property for long term use, putting in a septic tank may be a good option. Once the design is established and permitted the actual work can often be done by the property owner/lessee.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, water