Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Water coming from under bottom cover??

This may have very well been discussed bf, and I think I know why it happens but thought maybe someone else might have a problem solve other than what I am thinking. So I wasn't to happy to find out that after I had pulled the new camper home from about a hour and half drive, that the unit had probably 30 gallons or more of water in the holding tank and through out the lines and hot water heater. So bc it is still freezing here in PA I had to quickly winterize the trailer, a job I was not expecting to have to do. To the point though when I was draining the hot water heater water starting coming out from under the bottom cover of the camper. In several different places where different pipes and protrusions come through the bottom cover. What I think is happening is when the water exits the hot water heater it runs down past the cover and some water is getting under the cover and exits at the protrusions. I wouldn't think this can be a good thing water where it does not belong. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?? My thought is to get a piece of PVC pipe and as soon as I get the plug off of the heater butt the pvc up against the tank and the pvc will carry the water to the ground and it won't run down underneath and get under the cover. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?? THANKS
Surveyor in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #2

Why not just drain the 2 low point drains under the water heater?

Seems much easier to accomplish the exact same task.

What model Surveyor did you take home?

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #3

You could use an anode that has a drain in it, like this one, keep all the water outside the RV.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Wa...-p/09-0210.htm
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

"What I think is happening is when the water exits the hot water heater it runs down past the cover and some water is getting under the cover and exits at the protrusions. I wouldn't think this can be a good thing water where it does not belong."

It sounds like the sealant used around the face of the wh is leaking. Clean off the old sealant and apply new dicor. Do not use silicone or flex seal. Neither will last long and nothing will stick where you apply silicone very well.

Using the low point drains to drain the water heater will cause the sediment that builds up in the bottom of the heater to be drawn into the plumbing. The sediment will plug up the aerators for your sinks. This is a problem many have found. It's worse with a Suburban water heater because of the anode rod. I believe you can get a formable plastic coated lead sheet from NAPA that you can use to divert the water from the wh drain. I know Snap-on makes them, too.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #5

Yes to Post # 4! Youroo!!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes to Post # 4! Youroo!!
X3
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

BMac

I had water coming out from under my water heater. There is a leak at the weld on the heater itself at the bottom of the heater. (see where all the gunk is) Any water that came out of the pressure release would drip down inside the wall and get caught by the undercarriage fabric. The insulation was all wet. I just got a hose adapter that screws into the release and a hose that clears the bottom of the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0780A.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	164599  
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While your theory of how the water is getting to the underbelly may be justified, the problem remains, that it shouldn't leak from the mounting flange of the water heater to the side of the camper.

Using a pipe will solve what happens when you drain the water heater (and verify your theory) but what about when it rains and water skirts down the side of the camper?

You are likely going to need to get it repaired. If it's new, then it should be warranty, if not, do you feel comfortable enough pulling the water heater to reseal? (if that is actually the issue)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
While your theory of how the water is getting to the underbelly may be justified, the problem remains, that it shouldn't leak from the mounting flange of the water heater to the side of the camper.

Using a pipe will solve what happens when you drain the water heater (and verify your theory) but what about when it rains and water skirts down the side of the camper?

You are likely going to need to get it repaired. If it's new, then it should be warranty, if not, do you feel comfortable enough pulling the water heater to reseal? (if that is actually the issue)
As he said ....you still need to fix it . What you did will not stop your trailer from leaking in the rain .
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #10

Model Number is the 285IKDS
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

That looks interesting, I would have to see it to see if there is enough clearance to get it past the back end of the camper.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #12

Good point I need to take a look at this again and see if this is happening with rain.

Tags
cover, water