Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #1

Water Filter

Maybe this is a dumb question but is the internal water filter system for fresh water only or does all water sources use the water filter? Our internal sump (Water Pur Company CCI-10-C) cracked over the winter and I'm looking to replace it but was wondering about an external system.
2005 Rockwood 8318
sawlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that, on our trailer, all water is filtered.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Knower of Some Things

I've heard of the water filter glass cracking all the time. This is usually due to antifreeze being left in there (I've learned over the years to always unscrew the glass and dump it out when I'm done winterizing). A new one can be had for $16, if you don't stick with that same brand. The replacement glass for the stock one is about $50, but you can get an aftermarket filter that looks just like it (except no clear glass), that mounts the same and takes the same filter, for about $16. Ask your local dealer or parts store.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #4

How can it crack if it had anti freeze in it? surely the anti freeze didnt freeze up?
I just dewintereized mine yesterday and in my opinion the water filter is just another useless feature, especially since it's for the WHOLE trailer. i can understand if you would want one for the kitchen faucet, but who really needs filtered water for the toilet??
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
How can it crack if it had anti freeze in it? surely the anti freeze didnt freeze up?
I just dewintereized mine yesterday and in my opinion the water filter is just another useless feature, especially since it's for the WHOLE trailer. i can understand if you would want one for the kitchen faucet, but who really needs filtered water for the toilet??
Oh, totally... EVERYONE needs filtered water for their toilet!!!!
Antifreeze is SUPPOSED to not freeze, but a drop in temperature can make it expand, just the tiniest little bit. Unfortunately, when it gets colder, the plastic housing gets a tad brittle, and it doesn't take much to break it. Your water lines are PEX, which is much more flexible than the water filter glass, and your faucets are a nylon-based plastic, which allows them to expand a few thousandths of an inch here and there. Your water heater is steel, assuming it is a Suburban, commonly used in FR RVs, which can also expand/contract a little. For a fact, most steel water heaters will withstand one freezing, if you forget to pull the plug. Off on a tangent, here. Sorry.

Bottom line is: make sure you dump the antifreeze out of your filter, and even possibly leave it off for the winter. If you do this, the only time your glass breaks will be from impact.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #6

I removed the filter in my camper and leave the cannister because the water pressure is reduced and in the winter I remove the cannister, I blow the lines out with air for the winter. I don't like chemicals in my water lines, I use RV anti-freeze it In my pool but that is about It.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #7

I found the cheapest price for the filter cannister is direct from manf - $30 + $8 shipped directly to door. Came in line 3 days and includes new o-ring. (Got phone # here). Camping World wanted $39.99 plus tax and gas to get to them. I've been thru a couple - don't ask. Even thought they are like 1/2" thick even a little un-anti freesed water left in them cracks them.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes, I left antifreeze in my cannister and it hit -30 for quite a stretch this winter. Hope my cannister is intact!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Site Team

I removed my "in house" filter and bypassed the lines when I winterized last fall.
I already had a whole house filter with hose fittings with my hose.
I use the filter to fill my tank if we're going boondocking.
I use the filter inline with my hose if we've got water hookups.
Much easier to drain, no wasted antifreeze trying to fill the @#$%&! onboard
filter and no filter canister to crack later.
(An empty canister won't crack!)

If you're a full timer, I can see the benefit of an onboard filter but for
me, the outside hose end filter is just easier.
Plus, I bought the entire filter, hose fittings and 2 spare cartridges for less
than the cost of a replacement canister!
Home Depot, Lowes and most any home center or even the hardware/plumbing
isle of Wal-Mart and other dept stores will have whole house filters and cartridges.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #10

After I pull the canister and filter I put an empty plastic container in the canister before replacing it and filling the water system with antifreeze. The containers from powdered drink mixes work great as they have a snap lid - not absolutely watertight. That way, if there's a little expansion/contraction, there's a little "give" there and the canister won't crack. Works like a charm.
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #11

After I winterized last fall, I removed the filter housing & left it off during the winter. I placed a small wash basin under the opening in case of drips from expansion.
Any problem with this - why would you leave the housing installed over the winter?

Last weekend I reinstalled the filter housing & flushed the water system out.
Everything seem to work fine.
I'll remove the housing again this weekend & install a new filter element.

Jeff
JeBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

After making sure the lines are completely empty to prevent dripping water from filling the bottom of the canister, I leave the canister in place without the filter for winter storage. I don't want an inquisitive mouse climbing into the piping and pooping, or even dying in there after eating the D-Con treats I leave for them.
I also leave the caps loosely on the outside drains and loosely install the anode rod plug back into the water heater for the same reason.

My wife thinks I am anal.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #13

How often should the filter element be replaced?
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #14

rafcar, filter replacement depends on usage. The cartridge that came new with ours stated 1 year. We were out two weeks ago and the water slowed to a trickle. The cartridge was 11 months old, and we use the trailer every two or three weekends--just two of us, but that's still a good amount of water passing through it. A new cartridge fixed the pressure troubles.

Somewhere around 10-12 months should be about right--maybe less if you have a large family using more water.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #15

I replaced my stock water filter with a GE water filter from Home Depot, (cost about $30) The replacement cartridges were only $7. The GE unit also had a 3 position lever. Using the bypass feature would allow you to winterize it without putting anti-freeze into the filter housing. I also use an outside carbon filter (available from any camping distributor) as the interior filter only removes small impurities (rust, dirt etc.) in the water. I have found over the years that with the 2 filter setup, my morning coffee tastes great and the shower water does not smell "funky"
Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #16

I too replace the stock water filter system in our TT with a GE from HomeDepot, after I could not get the stock one to stop leaking water after replacing the filter element. Anyway, it's a plain model so I paid only $19 for it, but it works great.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote