Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Water Filter

So during the camping months of spring summer and fall do you keep your water filter and canister full of water or do you drain the canister and let the filter dry out after each use?

I can't think leaving water in the canister during the summer can result in very good tasting water?>??

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

I leave mine in and full of water all summer. You are probably right about the water not tasting very good. We don't drink or cook with that water. We filter it going into the holding tank, and we sanitize the holding tank every trip. In my set up emptying the cannister each time would be a real pain.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I leave mine in and full of water all summer. You are probably right about the water not tasting very good. We don't drink or cook with that water. We filter it going into the holding tank, and we sanitize the holding tank every trip. In my set up emptying the cannister each time would be a real pain.
Kip, not trying to high jack your post subject but grandpaofthree mentioned sanitizing the fresh water holding tank every trip. This is the first trailer that I have had with an on board water filter. In our previous trailer if we were going out within a month or so we would just empty the fresh water tank & refill with fresh water. This was with using city water NOT well water! So my question is what do some of the others of you do? We do use the holding tank water for drinking etc. Usually would sanitize a couple of times a season.

Everett

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I leave the water level low in my fresh water tank after each trip, but do not drain it during the camping season. Before a camping trip, I will bring the level up to 1/3 for anticipated hookup campgrounds (for flushing the toilet and hand washing in transit), or fill it for dry camping.

I do have municipal water, which is slightly chlorinated. I figure that keeps things from getting funky while sitting in the tank. We use our water for all purposes, including drinking.....when beer is not available.

I sanitize the complete system every spring when dewinterizing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Team

My water filter was in the crawlthru front storage. I had to climb
in there to access it and it did not have a bypass for winterization.
For these reasons I took it out of the loop by disconnecting it and
connecting the inlet and outlet lines together with a brass coupling.

I now use a regular every day "whole house" filter on my water
hose inlet. I use the filter to fill my fresh tank when needed and/or
just leave it on the hose when we're hooked to water at a campsite.
It is just an activated carbon/sediment type filter. A two pack is
usually around $10 and can be found at many places. Brand is
not important IMO. I just look for "activated carbon and sediment"
on the package.
I drain it after each use but it does not "dry out" between uses.
We change it once a year. I toss it out in the fall when I winterize.

We use our fresh tank for drinking as well as coffee and iced tea
but remember I use the filter to fill the tank.
This removes the chlorine taste if any was present.
When hooked to the spigot at the campsite we find the water
might have a slight off taste if the hose is laying in the sun
even though we have an RV white hose and the filter
is downstream from the hose.
On these occasions we try to fill the coffee pot and or make iced tea
after some water usage such as doing the dishes.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

We to have a water filter on our unit and it is also difficult to get to and empty out. Because it's such a pain to get to for winterization and dewinterization purposes, I thought I would save myself some hassle and just leave the filter out altogether year round since we were alway using city water to fill the freshwater tank anyhow. Well, I caution you this is something you don't wont to do. After a season or so of doing this, apparently the water doesn't circulate through the canister well enough without the filter in place to keep the water in the bottom of the canister from becoming stagnant. Let me tell you, anytime we turned the water on it was enough to make our stomachs turn from the smell until I was able to pinpoint the source of the problem and get everything sanitized.

2007 Ford Expedition w/ HD Tow Package
2012 Wildwood 26TBSS
Camtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camtub View Post
We to have a water filter on our unit and it is also difficult to get to and empty out. Because it's such a pain to get to for winterization and dewinterization purposes, I thought I would save myself some hassle and just leave the filter out altogether year round since we were alway using city water to fill the freshwater tank anyhow. Well, I caution you this is something you don't wont to do. After a season or so of doing this, apparently the water doesn't circulate through the canister well enough without the filter in place to keep the water in the bottom of the canister from becoming stagnant. Let me tell you, anytime we turned the water on it was enough to make our stomachs turn from the smell until I was able to pinpoint the source of the problem and get everything sanitized.
I had never thought about something like this happening but it sure makes sense. I see this is your very first post - trust that with insight like this you will keep it up! Yes, thanks

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote