Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Avitar Dave

Water Hammer Problems

I have an Clipper 17FQ . When dry camping, my wife and I routinely turn the water demand pump off and on--depending on our usage--to conserve water. Lately, the water pump seems to take an inordinate amount of time to pump up to max pressure and shut off. It also creates "water hammer" (vibrating piping) in the fresh water lines and it sounds like air is being pumped into the fresh water holding tank.

Previously, I thought the diaphragm in the water pump was shot, so I replaced the water pump. I'm still having the same problem with water hammer. It seems like air is getting sucked into the system, but there's no evidence of a water leak anywhere--that I can see.

How do I solve this problem?
Avitar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

any big box store is going to sell water hammer arrestors. siux chief is a large manufactor of them. used in residental plumbing on a regular basis. have no idea about rv use.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #3

Well, I'm not sure how turning your water pump on/off saves you water. If you turn it on, and it pressurises to the point of shutting off, then stays off until you open a faucet, then you are good. No water wasted by leaving it on, unless you have a leak.
Pipe hammer is caused by the pex water lines vibrating against a wall/compartment panel. I fix mine using zip ties to anchor them, and/or foam insulation between them and a panel they are vibrating against.
If you are turning off your pump because it will run intermittently without you opening a faucet, then you have a leak.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

Make sure the bottom bowl on your strainer is tight so air does not get in (on the inlet of the pump)..
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

I turn my pump off all the time to save water. You can flush the toilet down without wasting water.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Not using water when you flush is not waiting water. You are setting your self for problems with your black tank. Water is your friend as far as black tanks are concerned!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Oh, okay. I can see that.
I wouldn't do it as we like more water in the black tank than less, to prevent other problems. And the amount of water used in a very quick flush is minimal.
We mainly boondock. We used to use about 90 gallons a week for two of us, navy showers every day. We installed the shower miser and are now down to 70 gallons a week, maybe less. Had no idea we wasted that much water in the shower! (Adjusting temp mainly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I turn my pump off all the time to save water. You can flush the toilet down without wasting water.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #8

My wife doesn't put paper in the tank and I drink enough beer that liquid in the tank to help with solids is not an issue. Back to the banging pipes please.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

Plumbers take care of water hammer by adding a tee connection in a water line and adding a short piece of pipe say 2 feet with a cap on it. No big deal to add it near where the vibration is occurring.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Check the screws that mount to motor body to the mount. My pump suddenly started to make considerably more noise than before. When I watched the pump in operation it was clear it was not solidly mounted. Turns out one of the screws holding the pump to the mount had vibrated loose and was lying on the floor next to the pump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avitar Dave View Post
I have an Clipper 17FQ . When dry camping, my wife and I routinely turn the water demand pump off and on--depending on our usage--to conserve water. Lately, the water pump seems to take an inordinate amount of time to pump up to max pressure and shut off. It also creates "water hammer" (vibrating piping) in the fresh water lines and it sounds like air is being pumped into the fresh water holding tank.

Previously, I thought the diaphragm in the water pump was shot, so I replaced the water pump. I'm still having the same problem with water hammer. It seems like air is getting sucked into the system, but there's no evidence of a water leak anywhere--that I can see.

How do I solve this problem?
It sounds like the valve that prevents backflow from the water pump into the FW tank is leaking and perhaps vibrating on and off. Sometimes you can clear that valve by checking for obstacles or cleaning it out, but if not you may have to replace it. You will know this is happening if you leave the FW tank empty and leave the drain valve open, turn on the water pump and before you know it there is water going into the FW tank as shown by coming out of the drain valve. It may not come out immediately depending on how your RV is sitting but if enough pumps in there is should start dripping if not running out. I doubt you really have a typical "water hammer" situation.

Tags
water