Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #1

Water heater

My brother has a 2007 forest river Georgetown 34 footer and had a question about the hot water heater, is it possible that it is only propane and no 120 electric capability for the hot water heater there doesn’t seem to be any switch or breaker for it?
Codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #2

My forest river has a switch for the electric hot water heater inside the outdoor compartment cover - with the cover open, look down under
the piping at the lower left corner. I also have a switch at the main control panel where I can select propane, electric or both.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

This also sounds like "Someone" could have turned on the Water Heater "BEFORE" the tank was full of Water! This will burn out the Elect Heater in Seconds! The heat element needs to be Checked with a Meter! Youroo!!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #4

Could you provide the tank manufacturer and model number?
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codybones0 View Post
My brother has a 2007 forest river Georgetown 34 footer and had a question about the hot water heater, is it possible that it is only propane and no 120 electric capability for the hot water heater there doesn’t seem to be any switch or breaker for it?
My 2011 Georgetown 30 ft only has propane.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codybones0 View Post
It's possible to have only a propane water heater, but if they have the Suburban brand tank type, then it's also possible the switch for the electric heating element is on the face of the water heater, kinda hidden somewhat. However, not having a dedicated circuit breaker to it could be telling also.

This very detailed FAQ link below on the Suburban tank type water heaters will show you exactly where this switch would be located, along with it's proper operation.

Hope it helps:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
My 2011 Georgetown 30 ft only has propane.
Schvarak, are you positive yours is propane only?

I glanced at a youtube video below and see that particular motorhome does indeed have a Suburban brand water heater at the 3:23 mark (you can tell from the access door that it's a Suburban). I'd hate for you to be possibly missing out on a feature you may not be aware of, as the electric heating element switch would be located on the water heater, as explained in the link in my previous post.

Here is a video on a 2010 model. The salesman at the 2:30 mark states the water heater is gas AND electric, but does not actually open the access door for us to see for sure.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Site Team

To tell for sure if you do or do not have an electric heating element on the Suburban type water heaters, you can just open the outside access cover.

If you see a large black cover that will be over the electric heating element like in the pic below, then you know there is an electric element, and to also look for the somewhat hidden switch to the left of the cover.

If no black cover (blank space), then yours is most likely a propane only water heater.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric element.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	166129  

Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Schvarak, are you positive yours is propane only?

I glanced at a youtube video below and see that particular motorhome does indeed have a Suburban brand water heater at the 3:23 mark (you can tell from the access door that it's a Suburban). I'd hate for you to be possibly missing out on a feature you may not be aware of, as the electric heating element switch would be located on the water heater, as explained in the link in my previous post.

Here is a video on a 2010 model. The salesman at the 2:30 mark states the water heater is gas AND electric, but does not actually open the access door for us to see for sure.

Yup, exactly the same as mine! Notice the inside panel says water heater but the two swiches are "on" and "reset" both of which are for the propane! I'm very familiar with a gas and electric water heater. My FR Salem TT had both. I learned the hard way not to turn on the electric switch before ensuring there was water in the tank. I was very disappointed not to have electric too in my MH! There's not a switch in the access panel. The only switch inside is for lighting the propane. I've given some thought to installing an electric capability kit, but it's too much work.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
terryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schvarak View Post
yup, exactly the same as mine! Notice the inside panel says water heater but the two swiches are "on" and "reset" both of which are for the propane! I'm very familiar with a gas and electric water heater. My fr salem tt had both. I learned the hard way not to turn on the electric switch before ensuring there was water in the tank. I was very disappointed not to have electric too in my mh! There's not a switch in the access panel. The only switch inside is for lighting the propane. I've given some thought to installing an electric capability kit, but it's too much work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180327_152558.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	166372Click image for larger version

Name:	20180327_152432.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	166373
Old 06-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #12

Following
Gun guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post

Installing retro kit for elec add on for your water heater is NOT a big deal. Might take 25-30 minuets at most ! Kits are available at your Stealership or on EBay. Price range from $59.00 to $100.00. Even a caveman could do it. Biggest thing is to decide if you want to wire in a outlet for the plugin, or if one is close enough (possibly outlet on outside of your RV to plug it in to) , or you can just run extension cord to outlet on elec pedestal. The aftermarket Hot Rod kit I installed came with 6’ cord that I was able to plug into outlet under my dinette table. My water heater is located under one of the benches for dinner table. Easy Peasy.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater