Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I used to think that until I realized it was using more propane to heat it up between uses than just letting it maintain the heat. I just leave mine on all the time when camping.
Actually, leaving it on uses more. Newton's law of cooling.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I fill my water lines/water heater and put about 5-10 gal in fw tank, turn on frig and water heater before we leave for FL in Nov and it doesn't get turned off until we get home in late Feb, early Mar. It is on while on the road the entire trip to and from.
And now I know of somebody that does turn on the WH while traveling down the road
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
After thinking about this more, one of our first 5'rs had an exceptionally loud WH that was close to the bedroom. We did turn that one off at night so it wouldn't wake us up every time it kicked on. OP, I'm sure after using your rig for awhile you will decide what works best for you when it comes to managing your hot water
Oh I'll be leaving mine on. I was just wondering if it was common to turn it off. I like warm water if I have to get up in the middle of the night to wash my hands.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
I wondered the same thing. How did you "realize" that? What measurement or comparison led you to that conclusion? You can save me some time (and propane) if you figured this out with some measurements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
I got curious a few years ago and had a couple of dry camping weekends. The temps were the same and I used the trailer almost exactly the same both weekends. Weighed the bottles before and after both trips. The first week I turned it on once in the afternoon before use and let it cool until the next afternoon. The second week I just left it on. Leaving it on used roughly half than turning it off did. Now....that's far from scientific and that probably didn't account for all of that difference. It was fairly cool outside, so I figure that it cooled off more from day to day. Were it warm out, I don't think there would be really any difference. However, I can tell you from experience that my light bill at home is considerably less if I let it maintain a temperature than if I set my thermostat higher when I'm not home and then try to cool it off later, so I figured this would be along the same lines.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #45

I usually turn ours on for about an hour after we get done setting up for hand washing and little things that need hot water. Then about a half hour before showers I turn it on again. I understand and appreciate others ideas and opinions but don't really need the water heater cycling off and on during the day.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I shut mine off at night mostly because the switch glows bright blue and annoys me when trying to sleep.
The bright blue switch lights for both the water pump and water heater bothers my wife when trying to sleep. I bought one the square framed wall art items (you can find them at Meijer, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) that just hangs over and covers the control panel with a command strip hook. The deep frame covers the light from the front and sides. We found one for about $10 that had a Thoreau quote and woodland scene that matches the interior of the camper well, wife sleeps soundly, and I am able to leave the water pump and water heater on.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
The bright blue switch lights for both the water pump and water heater bothers my wife when trying to sleep. I bought one the square framed wall art items (you can find them at Meijer, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) that just hangs over and covers the control panel with a command strip hook. The deep frame covers the light from the front and sides. We found one for about $10 that had a Thoreau quote and woodland scene that matches the interior of the camper well, wife sleeps soundly, and I am able to leave the water pump and water heater on.
I have never figured out why appliances and devices went to that blue light. We got new appliances last year and our stove has the blue leds for the clock and it's extremely bright compared to the green our old stove had.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #48

We keep our home about 6 to 8 degrees cooler @ night when we are in bed,,, temp goes to 62 @ bedtime,,, and use an Inferred heater in our living room during the day time,,, we pretty much ware sweets all winter,,, our ele bill is up some,,, but we are still saving $$$,,, we have cut out propane use just about in half !!! In fact we have cut it down to the point where the Propane Co. wants to charge us now for tank rental !!! Can't win for loosing !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #49

On my older camper I had a water heater with a pilot light. That pilot light maintained the water temperature and the burner never fired up unless I was doing dishes or taking a shower. With my direct spark, I have heard the heater come on during the night. I sort of wonder which of the two types uses more propane. I don't think the pilot light used much at all, and it maintained the temperature so that the burner rarely came on.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
On my older camper I had a water heater with a pilot light. That pilot light maintained the water temperature and the burner never fired up unless I was doing dishes or taking a shower. With my direct spark, I have heard the heater come on during the night. I sort of wonder which of the two types uses more propane. I don't think the pilot light used much at all, and it maintained the temperature so that the burner rarely came on.
Gas use by Pilot lights is the main reason they started using igniters !!!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #51
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I got curious a few years ago and had a couple of dry camping weekends. The temps were the same and I used the trailer almost exactly the same both weekends. Weighed the bottles before and after both trips. The first week I turned it on once in the afternoon before use and let it cool until the next afternoon. The second week I just left it on. Leaving it on used roughly half than turning it off did. Now....that's far from scientific and that probably didn't account for all of that difference.
That's what I was going to do. If you controlled the variables, such as cooking and washing, so they were appx. the same both trips, a ½ tank difference is significant.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #52
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Ingenuity working well there! Simple easy fix!

I've often wondered why most of the manufacturers have strayed form putting the hinged cabinet door over the control panel. As noted, the lights on the switches bother a lot of folks, the switches are within reach of the wondering minds of kids & grandkids and some of them are easily bumped when passing in a narrow hallway/entrance area.

Oh well... guess they saved another $1 by not putting a cover over them!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #53
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
I appreciate your posting the link. I tried to read the article in light of the question posed, but my English-teacher's head exploded. I love engineers who say things like, "According to Newton's law of cooling, your water heater will ..."
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #54

Sunset Trail has the wh switch inside on the monitor panel so I turn it off before I go to bed at night and when I leave the trailer. It heats up in just a few minutes. Matter of fact after being off all night it's still warm when I get up in the morning.

Windjammer has the wh switch outside under the outside cover so not as easy to get to.
I turn it off and the water off if I'm leaving for more than a day.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
That's what I was going to do. If you controlled the variables, such as cooking and washing, so they were appx. the same both trips, a ½ tank difference is significant.
Not a half a tank! It was only a couple of pounds difference for a three day weekend. I think I used about 5 lbs the first weekend and 2 or so the second. Honestly, for the cost of propane, it really doesn't matter which way you do it as it's not going to save a substantial amount of money.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We keep our home about 6 to 8 degrees cooler @ night when we are in bed,,, temp goes to 62 @ bedtime,,, and use an Inferred heater in our living room during the day time,,, we pretty much ware sweets all winter,,, our ele bill is up some,,, but we are still saving $$$,,, we have cut out propane use just about in half !!! In fact we have cut it down to the point where the Propane Co. wants to charge us now for tank rental !!! Can't win for loosing !!!
I suggest you look into purchasing your own home tank. I own my home's 1000 gallon LP tank. When you own your tank, you can shop around for the best prices from all area LP dealers, and all give a price discount for owning your own tank, (often along with additional discounts for early payment, pre-bought gallons, and summer fill discounts).
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #57

Quote:
I suggest you look into purchasing your own home tank. I own my home's 1000 gallon LP tank. When you own your tank, you can shop around for the best prices from all area LP dealers, and all give a price discount for owning your own tank, (often along with additional discounts for early payment, pre-bought gallons, and summer fill discounts).
I thought about that last year,,, decided against it for several reason,,,
if I were younger and maybe just starting out on propane,,, I would go that route !!! Maybe even have the tank burred ???
Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #58

We generally book hydro sites. I leave the water heater on electric all the time we camp. As far as travelling; I don't run with the water heater on propane as we typically camp within 3 hours of home.

As soon as I set up I turn on the electric switch and the propane switch. The water is hot within minutes. I then shut off the propane fired switch and run electricity only.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #59

We bought our Sunseeker 3 years ago,,, propane tank was full,,, we have used less than half a tank,,, pretty much all we use it for to run the fridge when on the road !!!
We use it for cooking,,,but very little !!! Hot plate cost 0 when in a park !!!

Tags
heater, water, water heater