Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #51
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I got curious a few years ago and had a couple of dry camping weekends. The temps were the same and I used the trailer almost exactly the same both weekends. Weighed the bottles before and after both trips. The first week I turned it on once in the afternoon before use and let it cool until the next afternoon. The second week I just left it on. Leaving it on used roughly half than turning it off did. Now....that's far from scientific and that probably didn't account for all of that difference.
That's what I was going to do. If you controlled the variables, such as cooking and washing, so they were appx. the same both trips, a tank difference is significant.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
The bright blue switch lights for both the water pump and water heater bothers my wife when trying to sleep. I bought one the square framed wall art items (you can find them at Meijer, WalMart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) that just hangs over and covers the control panel with a command strip hook. The deep frame covers the light from the front and sides. We found one for about $10 that had a Thoreau quote and woodland scene that matches the interior of the camper well, wife sleeps soundly, and I am able to leave the water pump and water heater on.
Ingenuity working well there! Simple easy fix!

I've often wondered why most of the manufacturers have strayed form putting the hinged cabinet door over the control panel. As noted, the lights on the switches bother a lot of folks, the switches are within reach of the wondering minds of kids & grandkids and some of them are easily bumped when passing in a narrow hallway/entrance area.

Oh well... guess they saved another $1 by not putting a cover over them!

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #53
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
Actually, leaving it on uses more. Newton's law of cooling.
I appreciate your posting the link. I tried to read the article in light of the question posed, but my English-teacher's head exploded. I love engineers who say things like, "According to Newton's law of cooling, your water heater will ..."
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #54

Sunset Trail has the wh switch inside on the monitor panel so I turn it off before I go to bed at night and when I leave the trailer. It heats up in just a few minutes. Matter of fact after being off all night it's still warm when I get up in the morning.

Windjammer has the wh switch outside under the outside cover so not as easy to get to.
I turn it off and the water off if I'm leaving for more than a day.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
That's what I was going to do. If you controlled the variables, such as cooking and washing, so they were appx. the same both trips, a tank difference is significant.
Not a half a tank! It was only a couple of pounds difference for a three day weekend. I think I used about 5 lbs the first weekend and 2 or so the second. Honestly, for the cost of propane, it really doesn't matter which way you do it as it's not going to save a substantial amount of money.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We keep our home about 6 to 8 degrees cooler @ night when we are in bed,,, temp goes to 62 @ bedtime,,, and use an Inferred heater in our living room during the day time,,, we pretty much ware sweets all winter,,, our ele bill is up some,,, but we are still saving $$$,,, we have cut out propane use just about in half !!! In fact we have cut it down to the point where the Propane Co. wants to charge us now for tank rental !!! Can't win for loosing !!!
I suggest you look into purchasing your own home tank. I own my home's 1000 gallon LP tank. When you own your tank, you can shop around for the best prices from all area LP dealers, and all give a price discount for owning your own tank, (often along with additional discounts for early payment, pre-bought gallons, and summer fill discounts).
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
I suggest you look into purchasing your own home tank. I own my home's 1000 gallon LP tank. When you own your tank, you can shop around for the best prices from all area LP dealers, and all give a price discount for owning your own tank, (often along with additional discounts for early payment, pre-bought gallons, and summer fill discounts).
I thought about that last year,,, decided against it for several reason,,,
if I were younger and maybe just starting out on propane,,, I would go that route !!! Maybe even have the tank burred ???
Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #58

We generally book hydro sites. I leave the water heater on electric all the time we camp. As far as travelling; I don't run with the water heater on propane as we typically camp within 3 hours of home.

As soon as I set up I turn on the electric switch and the propane switch. The water is hot within minutes. I then shut off the propane fired switch and run electricity only.

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #59

We bought our Sunseeker 3 years ago,,, propane tank was full,,, we have used less than half a tank,,, pretty much all we use it for to run the fridge when on the road !!!
We use it for cooking,,,but very little !!! Hot plate cost 0 when in a park !!!

Tags
heater, water, water heater